Around the NHL (Part XIII): RIP Bob Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
The only way they are losing money is if they are forgetting where they put it because there is just so much.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
So then you do believe the Hawks are losing money. Agree to disagree.

Do you have anything to back this up with other than, I don't believe it? If you go by Forbes, the Blackhawks reported $115 million in revenue last year (4th most in the league). Consider $70 million of that went to player salaries alone. That leaves $45 mil to pay for all of the rest of the organization. The scouts, the trainers, executives, sales staff, security, retirement, insurance, over head costs, etc. If that amount of reported revenue is accurate, I think theres a very good chance they didn't make money last year or at least not a huge amount of money.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Do you have anything to back this up with other than, I don't believe it? If you go by Forbes, the Blackhawks reported $115 million in revenue last year (4th most in the league). Consider $70 million of that went to player salaries alone. That leaves $45 mil to pay for all of the rest of the organization. The scouts, the trainers, executives, sales staff, security, retirement, insurance, over head costs, etc. If that amount of reported revenue is accurate, I think theres a very good chance they didn't make money last year or at least not a huge amount of money.

As you've said, I don't have access to their books. But any team that cries poor during a cup victory year? Does that pass the smell test to you?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Except they get around reporting tons of revenue by classifying it as 'Wirtz Corp' and not 'Chicago Blackhawks'. So that $115MM is totally meaningless.

Key example: no money earned through non-Hawks events at the UC are put into the Hawks revenue pool. But...without the team, the building doesn't exist and therefore neither does the money from said events.

I've also heard rumors that Wirtz Corp. charges the club's books for rent. When you do a lot of taking from your left and and sticking it in your right hand, yeah, you can make it look like the left hand has lost money, even when it's really the same thing.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Let's say the average ticket price is around 100 bucks. It's probably more but whatever, it's a solid ballpark number.

21,500/per game.

41 games.

21500 x 100 = $2,150,000 x 41 games = $88,150,000

Playoffs, let's figure 8 games. Let's call the average $150 for those. $25,800,000

So just for tickets, about 115M. That doesn't factor in luxury boxes, preseason or any other sources of revenue such as concessions, team store, parking, etc., etc., etc.

So they can wipe their ass with that Forbes article after they read it if money is tight.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Except they get around reporting tons of revenue by classifying it as 'Wirtz Corp' and not 'Chicago Blackhawks'. So that $115MM is totally meaningless.

Key example: no money earned through non-Hawks events at the UC are put into the Hawks revenue pool. But...without the team, the building doesn't exist and therefore neither does the money from said events.

I've also heard rumors that Wirtz Corp. charges the club's books for rent. When you do a lot of taking from your left and and sticking it in your right hand, yeah, you can make it look like the left hand has lost money, even when it's really the same thing.

Right and I said thats why I don't think Wirtz is losing money, but the Blackhawks may be. Most team owners don't also own the stadium, TV station that airs the games, and beverage distributorship that supplies alcohol to the games. Most teams have gate receipts and TV money and thats it.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Let's say the average ticket price is around 100 bucks. It's probably more but whatever, it's a solid ballpark number.

21,500/per game.

41 games.

21500 x 100 = $2,150,000 x 41 games = $88,150,000

Playoffs, let's figure 8 games. Let's call the average $150 for those. $25,800,000

So just for tickets, about 115M. That doesn't factor in luxury boxes, preseason or any other sources of revenue such as concessions, team store, parking, etc., etc., etc.

So they can wipe their ass with that Forbes article after they read it if money is tight.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/206066/nhl-average-ticket-price-for-chicago-blackhawks-games/

Average ticket price in 2012-2013 was $62.88. That would be $55.4 mil in the regular season.

Blackhawks revenue by year

http://www.statista.com/statistics/196805/revenue-of-the-chicago-blackhawks-since-2006/

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Right, I would assume that money goes to the building owners.

Or the 'operators', of which most teams do have operating rights. Most stadiums are owned by cities/states, and they give operational control over to the team (or the company controlling the team by a fake name and thus letting that company profit and not the team by name itself).

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
No more spin-o-ramas in the shootout per an NHL rule change.

On none hand, I'm sad. On the other hand, why do we still have shootouts?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ties are terrible and after 65 minutes of a game its horrible to walk away with a tie

Shootout isn't ideal but I would rather that then watch games end 1-1 as teams dont even try to score in 5 min OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad