Around the NHL (Part XIII): RIP Bob Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am curious to see what happens with B's in coming weeks

Smith/Krug still not signed and the expected cap trade from Boston never happened (Just like here in Chicago)

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The better solution is to move them to locations where they won't hemorrhage money.

To where? Another city where they will fail like Vegas? There are 2 franchises in Florida, how stupid is that? They already had to move a team out of Georgia, they are going to end up moving a team out of Arizona. This is a regional sport, why do they keep trying to shoehorn teams into markets that don't give a crap about hockey?

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hey, what are you talking about. I saw a Thrashers bumper sticker like 3 months ago man.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
To where? Another city where they will fail like Vegas? There are 2 franchises in Florida, how stupid is that? They already had to move a team out of Georgia, they are going to end up moving a team out of Arizona. This is a regional sport, why do they keep trying to shoehorn teams into markets that don't give a crap about hockey?

Canada, the Pacific NW, New England region, etc.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I think Seattle, Portland, Quebec City and the Toronto area could support an NHL team. Possibly Houston as well.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Canada, the Pacific NW, New England region, etc.

The Pacific NW may work, but those are not large cities and its not a hockey haven. Wouldnt shock me to see that totally fail. Canada has already lost 2 teams in my lifetime (granted they got one back). I'm not sure where in New England you would put a team. Hartford already showed they couldn't support a team.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think Seattle, Portland, Quebec City and the Toronto area could support an NHL team. Possibly Houston as well.

I'd also add that putting a team in the Toronto area isn't going to grow the sport. The people there are already fans of other teams. Its a 0 sum game. The fans that would become fans of that team would just take fans away from Toronto and Buffalo.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The Pacific NW may work, but those are not large cities and its not a hockey haven. Wouldnt shock me to see that totally fail. Canada has already lost 2 teams in my lifetime (granted they got one back). I'm not sure where in New England you would put a team. Hartford already showed they couldn't support a team.

Different era, different rules...come on, you're smarter than this.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City

Look at the success the Sounders have had and the residual support the Sonics garner to this day. I think Seattle would welcome and embrace a hockey team. I think the same could be said for Portland, but maybe not to the same extent.

You are correct about it being a zero-sum game. However, what you don't realize is that there is an excess in the supply of fans that is ready to pay for tickets. If the curve was already at equilibrium you would have a point, but I don't believe it is.

The New England region may be able to support a team, but of course a feasibility study would have to be completed in order to see if that is true or not.

With regards to Canada losing teams...it wasn't due to lack of support.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX

Houston wouldn't shock me if that sneaks in. 3rd/4th largest city in the country and a strong economy with people moving there left and right. I'm moving there next year and the real estate has skyrocketed. More importantly, tons and tons of northerners moving in. Lots of potential hockey fans.

But I think someone like Seattle or Quebec would get a team first.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The failure of certain markets doesn't mean that the league itself is in trouble or that there aren't untapped markets that the NHL could succeed in. Quebec City, Seattle, and Portland all stand out as obvious choices, as would the GTA and Hamilton if the Leafs and Sabres not be opposed. Houston as well, if not for Les Alexander having to be involved for it to be possible, and he's not interested any more.

As long as there's at least one interested open market, the NHL owning contract. We'll see a team in Saskatoon if push comes to shove before contraction, so just erase the notion from your head.

Also, moving this conversation to the NHL topic for topicality reasons.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
We just had the 2 lockouts in less than 10 years right?

Two lockouts initiated by owners that wanted a bigger piece of the pie after bragging during every non-lockout year about ever growing revenues.

Greediness isn't a sign of actual trouble, either. The NHL's in better shape now than at any point since at least 1967. There've always been troubled franchises and issue that impact the league, but at no point in hone past have revenues and public interest been higher north or south of the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad