Around the NHL (Part XIII): RIP Bob Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
TSN has been killing time this summer doing a 'franchise faceoff' game where it puts two players against each other and people vote. In round 2 Toews beat Kopitar 71% to 29%. Unfortunately, starting a main board thread on the result would be obvious trolling :laugh:

Next round Toews will be up against the winner of the Mackinnon/McDavid matchup.

If you want to play along, it's at http://www.tsn.ca/franchisefaceoff/

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not to sound like an ass, but isn't that what happened in Chicago?

Not comparable ownership situations

When you factor in the no home games on TV , The nonsense like firing Foley , etc it doesn't come close to comparable

As for Canes ,, I don't believe this is anything other then usual Southern Bashing when throwing franchise into conversation about relocation. They have good lease , Good loyal diehard fanbase and now local ownership in mix (The co-owners who bought shares of team last year are from area)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
The thing about Panthers that has me thinking it has legit potential is the fact the county is putting together a study on weather they shoudl allow Panthers out of lease (So they can relocate)

That is not what the arbitrator is doing, the Panthers are asking for 5 million a year out of the tourist fund, and if they don't get it, Viola has brought up relocation, (this could be seen as just putting pressure on the County though.) What the arbitrator is doing is calculating if the arena could still make money for the County without the Panthers (the County does profit off them playing there, it's SSE who isn't making cash). If it's determined it could still be profitable, the County will reject the proposal, and leave it up to Viola if he wants to relocate them. The key thing is the Panthers have to pay 60 million which is their interest on the arena debt. The tweet from the mayor saying the County would pay if the Panthers left was referring to how they would have to eat up all remaining debt on the arena. There is no chance in hell the County would allow the Panthers to leave without paying their share, they would gain nothing from that.

My honest take, trying to be unbiased, this decision in October means nothing, the results of the investigation into Viola's company which will take a couple years will determine their future

Last edited:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
^That's going to ruffle some feathers on the main board. :D

People will opine that it's just four people voting, so its small sample size invalidates the results.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Here is the breakdown of the votes

GfPltyE.jpg

The mainboard cryfest is under way :)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I rarely even open up threads concerning Toews on the main boards anymore. It's the same regurgitated talking points over and over again.

The season cannot start soon enough.

You mean such as...

Toews is too high, but at least one had Kopitar over him and the others had him right after of close to him which only makes sense. The team wins are a big reason Toews gets ranked so high, so it only makes sense that Kopitar should be right there with him.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
I'm as bored as the whining about Toews as everybody else, but he does seem to be a bit too highly rated these days.

member 151739

Bergeron is the most overrated player in the league. It's quite interesting. Everything Toews gets mocked about, Bergeron is praised about. Bergeron is pretty much Toews but worse offensively, and he gets more love. Please explain.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Bergeron is the most overrated player in the league. It's quite interesting. Everything Toews gets mocked about, Bergeron is praised about. Bergeron is pretty much Toews but worse offensively, and he gets more love. Please explain.

Oh who knows with those people. It's probably jealousy. I've tried to stay away from the "ur jus jellus!!!111!!!" mentality, but sometimes it really seems like the most likely explanation.

Probably I would have put Malkin and Stamkos ahead of Toews on that list, but no complaints if NHL.com wants to put him second.

member 151739

Toews is a better center than Malkin, but Malkin is the better player.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Toews is a much more complete Player than Stamkos and Malkin. That's why he is ranked above them. There is much more than just offense.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I like how people always dismiss two way play as 'overrated'...except that the teams who won the last 5 cups all had 1Cs that play that way. It's just a coincidence, no doubt.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Not easy to say who will have the better career. Teuvo could win a Cup as Rookie... this would give him something on Ekblad ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad