Around the NHL (Part XIII): RIP Bob Suter

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Mark me down as someone who would be willing to use the Hawks playing in Vegas as an excuse to take a trip out there. Absolutely.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Mark me down as someone who would be willing to use the Hawks playing in Vegas as an excuse to take a trip out there. Absolutely.

+1 I think they are going to sell a ton of tickets just from NHL fans touring Vegas. Vegas is very much part of the hockey fan culture.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Move Florida to Seattle, move Phoenix to Vegas, add Toronto and Quebec and move CLB back to the West.

That's what I would do.

More teams means more cap, A LOT more cap. I hope they do 4 new ones, not expecting more than 2 but would prefer 4. It only makes the Hawks that much better and makes the cap a thing of the past. It will be way too high to matter.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
More teams means more cap, A LOT more cap. I hope they do 4 new ones, not expecting more than 2 but would prefer 4. It only makes the Hawks that much better and makes the cap a thing of the past. It will be way too high to matter.

Very, very, astonishingly incorrect.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Very ignorant here, but wouldn't an addition of two/four teams mean that the league has to share revenue with more teams? Which sequentially means a lower salary cap?

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Very ignorant here, but wouldn't an addition of two/four teams mean that the league has to share revenue with more teams? Which sequentially means a lower salary cap?

My understanding of how this works

1) the owner of a new team pays ~$300M to join the league. This money is dispersed amongst the 30 existing owners. The 300m IS NOT part of HRR so goes right in the owners pockets, no increase to the cap/ sharing with the players
2) expansion draft: lock a certain number of players, everyone else goes into a draft. NHL teams can make trades with the expansion teams to not draft players.i also wonder how this could effect Hossa's recapture. He will be ready to retire, can we be like "hey, Las Vegas I'll give you Marian Hossa and a 1st for nothing, he's retiring now and you take the 4 M recapture penalty since you need to get to the floor anyways".
3) new team HRR isn't included in cap calculations. Basically for 2-3 years expansion teams operate completely independently so that their startup losses don't artificially bring down the cap

Correct me if I'm wrong on any points. I know HawksCap knows much more than I do.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
My understanding of how this works

1) the owner of a new team pays ~$300M to join the league. This money is dispersed amongst the 30 existing owners. The 300m IS NOT part of HRR so goes right in the owners pockets, no increase to the cap/ sharing with the players
2) expansion draft: lock a certain number of players, everyone else goes into a draft. NHL teams can make trades with the expansion teams to not draft players.i also wonder how this could effect Hossa's recapture. He will be ready to retire, can we be like "hey, Las Vegas I'll give you Marian Hossa and a 1st for nothing, he's retiring now and you take the 4 M recapture penalty since you need to get to the floor anyways".
3) new team HRR isn't included in cap calculations. Basically for 2-3 years expansion teams operate completely independently so that their startup losses don't artificially bring down the cap

Correct me if I'm wrong on any points. I know HawksCap knows much more than I do.

While this very well may be how they go about thing, we've never had expansion in the cap era so who actually knows what they do. But I like that idea.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

:shakehead

Higher cap means higher salaries. The cap will always matter because the players will keep getting raises.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Quebec City and Toronto will be profitable fairly quickly. 2 years or so.

Seattle might be in that group, but I think they'll be a slower burn.

Las Vegas is completely a wild card. They will always be a taker.

BTW, 4 teams added at the same time would be insane, the Hawks, specifically will be in a lot of trouble in an expansion draft.

In the last draft 2 players per team were taken off the roster, this time it would be 4. If it was this year we'd probably lose Versteeg, Bickell, smith, Roszival or something like that.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Quebec City and Toronto will be profitable fairly quickly. 2 years or so.

Seattle might be in that group, but I think they'll be a slower burn.

Las Vegas is completely a wild card. They will always be a taker.

BTW, 4 teams added at the same time would be insane, the Hawks, specifically will be in a lot of trouble in an expansion draft.

In the last draft 2 players per team were taken off the roster, this time it would be 4. If it was this year we'd probably lose Versteeg, Bickell, smith, Roszival or something like that.

I'd love to lose 3 of those 4.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012

You're making a big assumption that all expansion teams are going to add more revenue to the pot than the NHL average.

Last edited:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I guess I just don't want the NHL ecosystem to change because the Hawks and LA are dominating it the way things are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad