Around the NHL: Panthers win. Onto the business season!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I can see it if they're upset about the term. AAV is great.

I do wonder if the term is why we traded him. Maybe he always wanted to do a shorter deal with this one, and Adams wanted him longer term.
Not a critique against you but I think we're all becoming experts in dealing with cognitive dissonance.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Am I wrong to believe Ottawa made out like bandits in that deal?
I don't think it's that one-sided. My issue is Ullmark is good enough to keep Ottawa relevant in the playoff mix and giving them a solid piece. Not sure he's the guy that can win you a tight series, but he can get you to that series. I would give them an edge in the goalie position head-to-head with buffalo, but I don't think it's a big gap.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I would of loved that deal for Mitts here.

Ugh

He wasn't signing that deal here.

He knows what its like to be on a bad team. A trade from Colorado to another bad team likely isn't an outcome he wanted.

So he and his agent likely saw value in staying on a good team and signed the team friendly deal he did.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't think it's that one-sided. My issue is Ullmark is good enough to keep Ottawa relevant in the playoff mix and giving them a solid piece. Not sure he's the guy that can win you a tight series, but he can get you to that series. I would give them an edge in the goalie position head-to-head with buffalo, but I don't think it's a big gap.
I don't even know if he can get that team to the playoffs. Their dzone coverage was terrible. If they shore it up and get to the playoffs, Ullmark was terrible in the playoffs. I think the upgrade in net was good for them but I also think there may have been different options after NJ set the market in which they used that first to get a top 4 dman. I'm glad they did it though, it takes ammo away from a team that is looking for the same stuff we are.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't even know if he can get that team to the playoffs. Their dzone coverage was terrible. If they shore it up and get to the playoffs, Ullmark was terrible in the playoffs. I think the upgrade in net was good for them but I also think there may have been different options after NJ set the market in which they used that first to get a top 4 dman. I'm glad they did it though, it takes ammo away from a team that is looking for the same stuff we are.

Ottawa is also supposedly looking to move off Chychrun and might have Pinto out in the mix. They aren't done either.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Reinhart’s Florida deal all over again. We need to get good so we can discounts like this.

No way he signs a deal like this with us
The last time we were good, everyone who had the option left (or tried to leave) in 2007. Buffalo does not get discounts. We have high taxes, an undesirable market, and a losing history. The only way we get good contracts is signing players to long term deals before they have more leverage. That is one thing that Adams has tried to do right, but there is a lot of potential of that backfiring. This franchise operates under a massive handicap in a league with guaranteed contracts and prevalent NMCs.

Some of that gets relaxed if the team can ever have a period of sustained success, but it will forever be fleeting.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The last time we were good, everyone who had the option left (or tried to leave) in 2007. Buffalo does not get discounts. We have high taxes, an undesirable market, and a losing history. The only way we get good contracts is signing players to long term deals before they have more leverage. That is one thing that Adams has tried to do right, but there is a lot of potential of that backfiring. This franchise operates under a massive handicap in a league with guaranteed contracts and prevalent NMCs.

Considering how the team president was acting, there is reason why those guys left. Don't be a dink, don't build little empires and pit groups in the same organization against one another - including the talent on the ice.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He wasn't signing that deal here.

He knows what its like to be on a bad team. A trade from Colorado to another bad team likely isn't an outcome he wanted.

So he and his agent likely saw value in staying on a good team and signed the team friendly deal he did.

I see no reason why he wouldn't sign that here. He loved it here and loved his teammates and knew nothing else except what it was like to be here. He would of signed that deal here

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Came here to post where the 7x7 was. Seems like a fair deal for Mitts, I'd keep him for that. He is probably making bank on that UFA deal though, smart.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I see no reason why he wouldn't sign that here. He loved it here and loved his teammates and knew nothing else except what it was like to be here. He would of signed that deal here

Ask yourself this:

Has any Sabres RFA taken a team friendly deal since he has been the GM?

The answer is no. They have all been, without exception, top of market deals. And it hasn't mattered because we haven't been within spitting distance of the cap.

Colorado has real cap issues.

Adams has not been a good negotiator, and to be frank, he hasn't had any semblance of a hammer to use. The 'sign this or we trade you' threat doesn't really work well when they see all their teammates who get traded go on to win the cup the next year.

I'm sure Mittelstadt wasn't eager to find out how the food in Columbus is or what the alcohol rules in Utah are like.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Ask yourself this:

The answer is no. They have all been, without exception, top of market deals.

Tage and Cozens were/are NOT top of market deals. They're pretty damned team friendly, especially coming off of the years that they had.

If Tage signed his extension after his 47/47/94 deal.....he could have easily asked for and gotten $9-10M per year. Cozens is/was market price. Not team friendly but also not top of market as you claim.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Tage and Cozens were/are NOT top of market deals. They're pretty damned team friendly, especially coming off of the years that they had.

Tage's deal was a giant dice roll given his history. It simply worked out (well, so far)

Cozens deal was, essentially, the Joshua Norris deal, but it was a little less in AAV because it was a 7 year deal vs an 8 year deal. But....it was absolutely top of market for his production at the time. It was signed in season

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
RE: Mittelstadt Contract

I like the deal for Colorado and Mittelstadt. Gives him a chance to provide sustainable production on a highly offensive skilled team for a more lucrative contract. Also allows Colorado to develop Mittelstadt's replacement when the time comes to move on.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ask yourself this:

The answer is no. They have all been, without exception, top of market deals. And it hasn't mattered because we haven't been within spitting distance of the cap.

Colorado has real cap issues.

Adams has not been a good negotiator, and to be frank, he hasn't had any semblance of a hammer to use. The 'sign this or we trade you' threat doesn't really work well when they see all their teammates who get traded go on to win the cup the next year.

I'm sure Mittelstadt wasn't eager to find out how the food in Columbus is or what the alcohol rules in Utah are like.

Well I don't see this as a "team friendly" deal... looks like a pretty fair deal for .it's value

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Ullmark is a nice add for the Sens, but they have a ton of work to do to get to the playoffs. I also think the man behind their bench will be a pretty big issue. I doubt he's the one that'll get that team to buy into playing defense. They have similar problems as the Sabres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad