Around the NHL - (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It might in this case because there’s some attention being paid. But in general, yep, we as a society are extremely lenient towards alcohol-related offenses.
Anything is possible, but I'm not holding my breath. I know cyclists who have been killed by idiots in cars and I know a lot of stories of cycling deaths with no acountability. The facts of the cases are mind boggling and still, a slap on the wrist.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Anything is possible, but I'm not holding my breath. I know cyclists who have been killed by idiots in cars and I know a lot of stories of cycling deaths with no acountability. The facts of the cases are mind boggling and still, a slap on the wrist.
Sure. I’ve never understood it myself, but I suspect it’s a there-but-for-the-grace reaction by the people who make laws and enforce them. Empathy for defendants is in short supply in criminal courts but not where the offender is a drunk. Wonder why.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
Sure. I’ve never understood it myself, but I suspect it’s a there-but-for-the-grace reaction by the people who make laws and enforce them. Empathy for defendants is in short supply in criminal courts but not where the offender is a drunk. Wonder why.

It's a shame, but I wonder if a good number of jurors identify with getting behind the wheel after having one too many drinks, or in some cases, wealth and status make a difference. In regards to his prior dismissed DWI, maybe his status as a decorated veteran got some sympathy from law enforcement.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Looks like jarvis is signed, the differed money thing is interesting…. Something I assume the league will need to address

When I read deferred money, I was thinking on the scale of what MLB's Ohtani did with the Dodgers (or Angels if the Angels said yes to matching the Dodgers' offer). Instead, the article reveals how the Canes' front office was testing this deferred matter with Slavin initially, but the deferment was minuscule that it didn't affect the AAV cap hit that much. And since that worked, they bumped it up a little bit more with Jarvis' contract to a savings of $0.40 mil AAV for eight years. That's a $3.2 mil total savings not counted against the cap. Finally, the article posits just how big a deferred payment the NHL would allow with the example of Leon Draisaitl and the Oilers.

What a loop hole the Canes discovered!

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
I just read this while scouring the Vegas board...

Whoa... and that was in early July. huh. Guess that deferred payment might be the new loophole to circumvent the cap.

Nothing "new" about it. It's been an option since 2005. Just almost never gets used because players don't want to wait for their money.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Nothing "new" about it. It's been an option since 2005. Just almost never gets used because players don't want to wait for their money.
Exactly. NHL players aren't making what MLB or NBA players are making. They want as much as they can get right away. In addition, players in other sports can afford to have some of the money deferred due to large endorsement deals that are bringing in plenty of yearly income. NHL players don't have that luxury for the most part.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It's a shame, but I wonder if a good number of jurors identify with getting behind the wheel after having one too many drinks, or in some cases, wealth and status make a difference. In regards to his prior dismissed DWI, maybe his status as a decorated veteran got some sympathy from law enforcement.
I’m sure they do but these cases almost never get so far as to see a jury. They’re charged lightly, or charges are reduced in return for a plea, often in exchange for rehab/diversion/community service commitments. Voters continuously express their disapproval, as can be seen by the pretty harsh penalty maximums, but in practice this stuff tends to go away.

I do think in this case the guy is going to serve time regardless of his history or how many kids he has or how sad his story is because he killed two young men, one of whom was famous and (more importantly) wealthy.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Exactly. NHL players aren't making what MLB or NBA players are making. They want as much as they can get right away. In addition, players in other sports can afford to have some of the money deferred due to large endorsement deals that are bringing in plenty of yearly income. NHL players don't have that luxury for the most part.
IMO this will only be an issue if the top end players start to do it. McDavid, for example, has already had one huge contract and a ton of endorsement deals. He is absolutely a candidate to defer a lot of money on his next contract. And if a star player does it, I wouldn’t be shocked to see some of his teammates follow his lead (though not to the same extent since they don’t have as much earnings). And the hard cap of the NHL makes deferring money much more valuable to teams than in other sports.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
For some unknown reason, killing cyclists has never been treated like the crime it should be. It's beyond disgusting.

Agree.

I’ve been cycling for decades. As I’ve gotten older I am very particular about what roads I’ll ride. These days I’ll find a MUP rather than risk the road, even with bike lanes.

The younger me would roll down my driveway and ride anywhere without a care.

For some reason, drivers seem to have become so impatient. A lot of them will do whatever to pass a slower car. And there is a definite attitude by drivers to want cyclists to get off the road, especially on 2 lane roads without shoulders.

As a society, I think people are generally less compassionate to others. If someone does something someone doesn’t like they get death threats. Look at the Gauthier trade. The other person is no longe a human being with a life, family, and feelings.

John

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
For some unknown reason, killing cyclists has never been treated like the crime it should be. It's beyond disgusting.
A lot of it has to do with the way too many cyclists ride, and the resentment it causes. Riding on the sidewalk when there are bike lanes, blowing through stop signs and stop lights, both solo and even moreso when in riding in packs, cutting all the way across the road to turn without using any form of signaling, etc. Doesn’t excuse killing them, or hitting them, but 100% of people have suffered through that behavior, so it’s an easy case to make to a jury that the bicyclist was also at fault, regardless of the particulars of any accident. Plus, usually no video evidence to dis prove what the driver says happened.

Drivers hate pedestrians, pedestrians hate drivers, everyone hates bicyclists.

Reactions: Arthuros

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
IMO this will only be an issue if the top end players start to do it. McDavid, for example, has already had one huge contract and a ton of endorsement deals. He is absolutely a candidate to defer a lot of money on his next contract. And if a star player does it, I wouldn’t be shocked to see some of his teammates follow his lead (though not to the same extent since they don’t have as much earnings). And the hard cap of the NHL makes deferring money much more valuable to teams than in other sports.
All it takes is one team getting all the players to buy in for a deeper roster and it’ll catch on. The trick will be getting that first team.

Reactions: All Mighty

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Agree.

I’ve been cycling for decades. As I’ve gotten older I am very particular about what roads I’ll ride. These days I’ll find a MUP rather than risk the road, even with bike lanes.

The younger me would roll down my driveway and ride anywhere without a care.

For some reason, drivers seem to have become so impatient. A lot of them will do whatever to pass a slower car. And there is a definite attitude by drivers to want cyclists to get off the road, especially on 2 lane roads without shoulders.

As a society, I think people are generally less compassionate to others. If someone does something someone doesn’t like they get death threats. Look at the Gauthier trade. The other person is no longe a human being with a life, family, and feelings.

John
I've road cycled for years but do less of it now. I've legally ridden the freeways (only by default which is why it's legal), all kinds of two lane country highways (including up to Big Bear from Redlands with a return via 38, 3 times), and all over OC and down to San Diego. But these days I minimize my time on the main highways way more than before. It's getting less safe all the time. It's becoming less safe daily.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
A lot of it has to do with the way too many cyclists ride, and the resentment it causes. Riding on the sidewalk when there are bike lanes, blowing through stop signs and stop lights, both solo and even moreso when in riding in packs, cutting all the way across the road to turn without using any form of signaling, etc. Doesn’t excuse killing them, or hitting them, but 100% of people have suffered through that behavior, so it’s an easy case to make to a jury that the bicyclist was also at fault, regardless of the particulars of any accident. Plus, usually no video evidence to dis prove what the driver says happened.

Drivers hate pedestrians, pedestrians hate drivers, everyone hates bicyclists.
I hear that a lot. Yeah, there are bad cyclists just like there are bad drivers. Nobody excuses road rage when a driver takes it out on another driver. But somehow, when a driver gets pissed at a cyclist it's just fine for them to try and run you off the road or take other action that puts your life at risk? There is no excuse for risking someone's life because (usually) you're in a hurry and that damn bike is slowing you down. Road rage against cyclists needs to be treated the same as road rage between drivers. People need to go to jail.

Cyclists aren't always in the wrong when they get wronged. They have the same right to share the road as a car. Too many drivers just hate the idea that a bike can be allowed on the road which might cause them to have to slow down at times. BTW, do you know how many assholes will drive past you on the highway, when nobody is blocking anybody, and just blast their horn to see if they can scare you into thinking you're about to be hit? Which can cause you to take unnecessary evasive action which could cause you to crash? Yeah, too many.

I know stories of cyclists who made mistakes and paid for it with their life. As tragic as it is I don't blame a driver for those situations. My anger is directed at the fact that when drivers are clearly in the wrong (which is quite often) and injure or kill cyclists too many people will twist themselves into knots trying to justify it as just an unfortunate accident. And for the record, very few of those cases ever get before a jury. They are almost always plea bargained down to a slap on the wrist or flat out dropped. Mainly because the prosecutors don't usually give a shit either. Too many more important cases to deal with than a case involving a bike.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I hear that a lot. Yeah, there are bad cyclists just like there are bad drivers. Nobody excuses road rage when a driver takes it out on another driver. But somehow, when a driver gets pissed at a cyclist it's just fine for them to try and run you off the road or take other action that puts your life at risk? There is no excuse for risking someone's life because (usually) you're in a hurry and that damn bike is slowing you down. Road rage against cyclists needs to be treated the same as road rage between drivers. People need to go to jail.

Cyclists aren't always in the wrong when they get wronged. They have the same right to share the road as a car. Too many drivers just hate the idea that a bike can be allowed on the road which might cause them to have to slow down at times. BTW, do you know how many assholes will drive past you on the highway, when nobody is blocking anybody, and just blast their horn to see if they can scare you into thinking you're about to be hit? Which can cause you to take unnecessary evasive action which could cause you to crash? Yeah, too many.

I know stories of cyclists who made mistakes and paid for it with their life. As tragic as it is I don't blame a driver for those situations. My anger is directed at the fact that when drivers are clearly in the wrong (which is quite often) and injure or kill cyclists too many people will twist themselves into knots trying to justify it as just an unfortunate accident. And for the record, very few of those cases ever get before a jury. They are almost always plea bargained down to a slap on the wrist or flat out dropped. Mainly because the prosecutors don't usually give a shit either. Too many more important cases to deal with than a case involving a bike.
I’m not saying that it’s right. I’m just saying that it’s a very common sentiment, and a case where the bad apples ruin it for everyone. I would say that it would be rare to find a jury pool where even 1-2 of the jurors would expect a bicyclist to NOT blow right through a stop sign and thus force you to not hit them.

I don’t think that vehicular manslaughter is treated like the crime it should be regardless of who gets hit or killed, that isn’t limited to bikes.

Reactions: Arthuros

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I’m not saying that it’s right. I’m just saying that it’s a very common sentiment, and a case where the bad apples ruin it for everyone. I would say that it would be rare to find a jury pool where even 1-2 of the jurors would expect a bicyclist to NOT blow right through a stop sign and thus force you to not hit them.

I don’t think that vehicular manslaughter is treated like the crime it should be regardless of who gets hit or killed, that isn’t limited to bikes.
Well, as I stated above very few cases ever get in front of a jury due to plea bargains. I'm willing to bet there would be some guilty verdicts if prosecutors cared enough to spend the time and money prosecuting these cases. There are plenty of cases begging for prosecution that go ignored.

It's not unlike how drunk driving used to be viewed years ago. People used to think that was a joke too until enough people forced the issue to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, given how tiny the population of cyclists is, it is an issue that will continue to be ignored because there aren't enough votes for politicians to feel the urge to care.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
All it takes is one team getting all the players to buy in for a deeper roster and it’ll catch on. The trick will be getting that first team.

But it will fall apart as soon as a team trades a guy who was willing to defer to be there. You see your buddy defer to help the team be a contender, then he gets shipped off to a rebuilding team because it's "business", no one will ever be willing to do that again.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
But it will fall apart as soon as a team trades a guy who was willing to defer to be there. You see your buddy defer to help the team be a contender, then he gets shipped off to a rebuilding team because it's "business", no one will ever be willing to do that again.
You would assume that there will be a lot of NTC associated with the practice for sure

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Deferred money goes poof if traded?

No, but a player might be willing to defer to help a contender, but not for a lesser team that they could get traded to. Kind of like taking a hometown discount ... you help out the team, maybe you fit in the cap structure better, but you also make yourself easier to trade.

You would assume that there will be a lot of NTC associated with the practice for sure

Yeah, if a player takes a deal like that then he better get the NTC along with it.

But you start handing those out like candy, you end up putting yourself in a bind if you need to make roster changes for whatever reason.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
These are Draisaitl’s age 30 to 37 seasons? It will be interesting to see if his play justifies the $14 mil in his mid-30s.

I agree.

Leon has never struck me as a player that puts his fitness first. But I don’t know that for sure.

There are some players that make conditioning a priority and they are able to be productive well into their 30’s. Probably not $14m productive, but there is not fall off a cliff at 33/34.

Will be interesting in a few years.

John

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad