Around the NHL - (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I read an incident report of what happened and not only was the guy suspected of being under the influence but the decisions he made trying to pass cars on the highway were stupid and reckless!!!!
The report I read said he also "had drank five to six beers before and while driving before the crash."
It's like he made every possible stupid decision he could. I lost my father to drunk driving and I hope there's a special place in hell waiting for this guy.

Tragic and condolences to the family and friends. No one deserves this to happen.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
The report I read said he also "had drank five to six beers before and while driving before the crash."
It's like he made every possible stupid decision he could. I lost my father to drunk driving and I hope there's a special place in hell waiting for this guy.

Tragic and condolences to the family and friends. No one deserves this to happen.

Just selfish!!!

Reactions: Static

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Ryan Hartman is a rat, but man he just donated $1,000, so I guess he might be a good human off the ice.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Less of a sigh and more an exasperated physical reaction that he has to spend the weekend in jail. I know that involuntary vehicular manslaughter can get what seems like unfairly light sentences but under the aggravated circumstances (intoxication, reckless attempts to pass illegally), he's looking at a significant stint in prison. He might as well get used to it. But having that reaction after taking two lives and destroying a family...utterly gross.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Less of a sigh and more an exasperated physical reaction that he has to spend the weekend in jail. I know that involuntary vehicular manslaughter can get what seems like unfairly light sentences but under the aggravated circumstances (intoxication, reckless attempts to pass illegally), he's looking at a significant stint in prison. He might as well get used to it. But having that reaction after taking two lives and destroying a family...utterly gross.
Significant stint is putting it lightly. He’s not getting out of jail. He told the officers he had 5-6 beers and that the alcohol caused his impatient/erratic behavior

This will likely be a life sentence IMO

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
There really isn't much to say. The carnage on American roads continues, day in and day out. This incident is particularly horrible. I just wish that somehow, some way, all of this death and destruction would stop.

I would not be surprised to see a charge of second degree murder in this case. Prosecutors have tried to bring murder charges here in egregious cases, although these sorts of cases usually result in a conviction for DUI vehicular manslaughter. Sadly, no matter what crime the driver is convicted of, it will do nothing to bring back the two lives that have been lost, or to really soften the blow on the other lives that it has impacted.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
There really isn't much to say. The carnage on American roads continues, day in and day out. This incident is particularly horrible. I just wish that somehow, some way, all of this death and destruction would stop.
I wish people would stop thinking it's fine to drive if you're a few beers in, even if you think you can drive perfectly.
I wish people would pay more attention to cyclists on the side of the road.
I wish people wouldn't think of driving as some kind of d**k measuring contest, where you have to "send someone a message" by driving aggressively and dangerously in multi ton vehicle.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Significant stint is putting it lightly. He’s not getting out of jail. He told the officers he had 5-6 beers and that the alcohol caused his impatient/erratic behavior

This will likely be a life sentence IMO
1000064774.jpg

I wish I could agree but New Jersey is shockingly lax on this offense. He'll probably get a concurrent charge of aggravated vehicular manslaughter that might tack on some more years but I chose my words carefully. You almost never see life sentences for this.

That said, he could be looking at ten per victim which is not insignificant prison time. He's already 40 something so that's the end of his good years. Not that that's equitable by any means. The point was he's got a lot more to worry about than a weekend in jail.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Rewatching it I could agree with you. Maybe it was just a involuntary exhale caused by the realization of how f***ed he really is now, the reality of his situation and what he did.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Wtf seeing this news confirmed… I heard the chatter on X last night but was hoping it was a sick joke. I can’t imagine how their family is feeling… such a tragedy.

This is the reason why I gravel/mountain bike and avoid the road as much as possible… there are seriously way too many irresponsible people out there… this guy should be jailed for life but he likely just gets a few years and does this again.
For some unknown reason, killing cyclists has never been treated like the crime it should be. It's beyond disgusting.

Reactions: 70sSanO

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Saddest part about all this is they were just doing regular people shit. Riding bikes together. No crazy risks taken like Schumacher and his skiing incident, or a boating incident with drugs involved like Fernandez. Just f***ing riding bikes.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Won't happen. Never does. Mark my word.

"He didn't mean to do it." "It was just an accident." "He even stopped and waited fro the cops to show up." f*** him and every judge who goes light on these kind of people. :madfire:

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Won't happen. Never does. Mark my word.

"He didn't mean to do it." "It was just an accident." "He even stopped and waited fro the cops to show up." f*** him and every judge who goes light on these kind of people. :madfire:
It might in this case because there’s some attention being paid. But in general, yep, we as a society are extremely lenient towards alcohol-related offenses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad