Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part IV Into the Playoffs Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
Pretty sure we just have to refuse to allow them to speak with him. Assuming he's still under contract.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's typical for organizations to flat out refuse to allow their staff to interview for a position they want. If Steve Ott wants to be a head coach in the league and has mutual interest in returning to Dallas, which I think he does, he should be allowed to speak with them. Not allowing that is a bad look by the Blues if that were to happen and only creates tension between Ott and the organization moving forward.

As soon as I heard this news, I was resigned to the fact that Otter is very likely gone after this season, especially if we make a deep run. I think he's shown that he is ready for a head coaching gig and Dallas is the team that drafted him. In addition to that, I believe his wife (and family) are also from that area so I think it is a perfect storm for Otter if there is interest on the organization's side.

Edit: One advantage we have to keep Ott for at least another year is that there are quite a few head coaching candidates out there with prior head coaching experience. For Dallas, it may be that they want to hire someone with past experience to try and get their roster over the hump instead of taking a gamble on a young, upstart coach getting his first bite at head coaching in the NHL.

Last edited:

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Underwhelmed by Calgary's defense and goaltending last night. Night and day from round 1. Would prefer to see the series go 7 even if I predicted a short series for Calgary

Reactions: BlueMed

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
One possibility I actually thought might happen with Trotz was a return to Nashville, seeing as I don't really think Hynes is the right guy for the job there, and his contract was up. But it appears Hynes got an extension

I never understood the Hynes hiring. I was surprised he got another job after New Jersey. He just doesn't strike me as a guy who has answers, but maybe he's a good development coach for a young team?

Underwhelmed by Calgary's defense and goaltending last night. Night and day from round 1. Would prefer to see the series go 7 even if I predicted a short series for Calgary
Neither team looks capable of playing successful playoff hockey. Kind of crazy that one of them will be in the WCF. I don't see how Edmonton can win that series with the goaltending they have, but I thought the same thing in round 1.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I never understood the Hynes hiring. I was surprised he got another job after New Jersey. He just doesn't strike me as a guy who has answers, but maybe he's a good development coach for a young team?

Neither team looks capable of playing successful playoff hockey. Kind of crazy that one of them will be in the WCF. I don't see how Edmonton can win that series with the goaltending they have, but I thought the same thing in round 1.
Yes I get the same feeling on Hynes.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
TB has some serious mojo
At even money I would take them over the field at the moment.

They haven't lost back-to-back playoff games since 2019 and because of that they have now won 10 consecutive series. They don't have a whole lot of bad nights, but when they do you can be damn sure that they will be firing on all cylinders the next game.

They have a top 5 D group and their top 6 is loaded. Hedman is without question a top 5 D man in the world and has a real argument that he's #1 (especially if you factor in his ability to sustain his dominance into the playoffs). Kucherov is a top 5 winger when he's healthy. Stamkos has had his injury issues, but it almost seems like he has become a touch underrated. He's played at a 90+ point pace in 5 of his last 6 seasons (or 4 of the last 5 if you don't want to include his 20 points in 17 games due to the small sample size). Point is a damn good player who is consistently near-point-per-game player that plays damn good defensively too. Their 4th line knows exactly who they are and what it takes to get the job done in the playoffs.

That group is absolutely loaded and I don't think you can argue that there is another group that is clearly better. But even if another team proves to be better and outplays them for 7 games, Tampa still has the undisputed greatest goalie in the world to tip the scales back in their favor. If any series comes down to "the better goalie is going to win it" then they are the clear favorites. Shesterkin, Markstrom, and Freddy were all fantastic this year, but Vasi has shown 3 years in a row now that he has another playoff gear. He's sporting a .932 over the last 3 playoff seasons (59 games) and his lowest single-playoffs SV% in that run is a .927 back in the 2020 bubble. There is a very real argument that a full blown NHL fantasy draft should begin with Vasilevski being taken #1 overall.

Tampa can beat any team in a 7 game series with just good goaltending. The fact that they have the best playoff goalie on the planet makes them extremely hard to bet against.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lafreniere looks lke the real deal. I am impressed. Definitely living up to the hype.
I don’t think he is.

Not saying he looks bad but he’s come nowhere close to the hype, he was supposed to be a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad