Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part IV Into the Playoffs Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Ian f***ing Cole :laugh:

Good for him, enjoyed that post game interview.

Reactions: mk80

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I'll never understand why Edmonton thought Smith and Koskinen were the answer going into this season and then I remembered they have one of the most inept GMs in the league.
If Binnington stays hot this playoffs, that gives the Blues options (attempt to trade Binnington, keep Binnington and trade Husso’s UFA rights, etc). Edmonton would certainly want to simply sign Husso, but they could also be in on Binnington if the Blues pre-empt Husso reaching UFA. Will be an interesting offseason in general across the NHL and the Blues in particular in the goalie market.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
If Binnington stays hot this playoffs, that gives the Blues options (attempt to trade Binnington, keep Binnington and trade Husso’s UFA rights, etc). Edmonton would certainly want to simply sign Husso, but they could also be in on Binnington if the Blues pre-empt Husso reaching UFA. Will be an interesting offseason in general across the NHL and the Blues in particular in the goalie market.
Should have extracted max pain from Edmonton at the deadline for Husso but that move would have been highly criticized at the time.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
but they could also be in on Binnington if the Blues pre-empt Husso reaching UFA. Will be an interesting offseason in general across the NHL and the Blues in particular in the goalie market.
Edmonton would be the 2nd to last team I'd waive my NTC for if I were in Binner's shoes (Arizona should be every player's #1 "I'm absolutely not going there" franchise unless/until they get back into a real NHL building). Edmonton plays with some of the worst defensive structure in the league and the fan expectations/pressure on a $6M AAV goalie would be enormous. That fanbase is already near/at/past the breaking point and a $6M goalie who comes in and is anything less than elite will be the brunt of all the criticism. Most those fans hate the front office, but that hate would absolutely manifest in shredding the big goalie acquisition who isn't pulling his perceived weight. I wouldn't want to go to Toronto either, but at least that defense is more capable of supporting a goalie than Edmonton's.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This whole situation is an embarrassment to the league. The league, the city and the team all have some level of complicity in this but the league didn't have to allow it. I'm not sure what power the league or commissioner holds over this, but I would rather see them be forced to move (or dissolve the franchise and disperse the players) rather than staying in Arizona under these circumstances.
It would be one thing if they had an arena under construction and we’re selling season tickets for the new place. But unless I’ve missed something, they are still a few steps from that hoped for future development.

Even if the plan is to have a team in the Phoenix area, maybe relocating the Coyotes and having a new/relocated franchise come in in a few years would work better.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Husso was well on his way to getting us bounced against the Wild. Why would you trade Binnington?

Trade starting goalie while Binny was struggling? That would have been foolish.

When it comes to goaltenders I find there is usually nothing but foolishness.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Husso was well on his way to getting us bounced against the Wild. Why would you trade Binnington?
Without Husso, it’s debatable whether the Blues even make the playoffs (they certainly wouldn’t have if Binnington started 60 games). I’m not saying I want to trade Binnington, but the reasons to do so are quite obvious - term, cap space, and and the guy hitting his prime who showed this year that he can be a starter. Goalies are, if course, unpredictable and a crap shoot - there’s risk in any decision the Blues make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad