Around The NHL Discussion 2021-22 Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I was also upset at the time, but it was 11 years ago and it's basically the only hit like that Thornton has made in his career. There's a time when you just need to let things go.

It was a bad hit he shouldn't have made, but if we're talking dirty hits, there's no flying elbow, he doesn't leap into it, there's no charge. It's just a blindside hit the he should have opted to not take.

The only hit? Right... Because we don't count the cheap headshot against Nosek either? Thornton may not be a frequent offender, but he still makes questionable hits. He gets the benefit of the doubt because of his career length and his size making hits worse than they would otherwise be.

The Nosek one in 2019 is f***ing lazy. Lots of reaction time to adjust point of contact or disengage.

The Perron one is worse, because he clearly sees the play developing as he gets ready to exit the box and plans it.

Reactions: Eldon Reid

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
The only hit? Right... Because we don't count the cheap headshot against Nosek either? Thornton may not be a frequent offender, but he still makes questionable hits. He gets the benefit of the doubt because of his career length and his size making hits worse than they would otherwise be.

The Nosek one in 2019 is f***ing lazy. Lots of reaction time to adjust point of contact or disengage.

The Perron one is worse, because he clearly sees the play developing as he gets ready to exit the box and plans it.

Also add in a lot of stickwork via spears and buttends, Thornton has been one of the low key dirty players in the league during his career.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Dirty Joe.

220px-Joe_dirt.jpg

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
As far as dirty hits go, the Thorton one registers pretty low on the scale and I've never understood the grudge blue fans have held against him for it.
I think Perron's popularity has a lot to do with it. He's a fan favorite.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018

THIS ^^^^^

That is why I hate that play. He sees it happening, and he just destroys Perron with a bad hit.

Nosek play was just beyond lazy. Plenty of time to adjust everything and still took out the head.

Oshie play was just flat out stupid. It may not have been as bad if Oshie didn't fall, but again a completely unnecessary play.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I am honestly flabbergasted about the amount of people who think that the players having an ad on their jerseys means that the fan jerseys that they buy will have ads on them as well.

Just like in the NBA, the players jerseys will have a small, barely noticeable ad, that you are going to totally forget about when they are playing. Just like you barely noticed there was a green enterprise on the helmet like 3 weeks into the season.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I am honestly flabbergasted about the amount of people who think that the players having an ad on their jerseys means that the fan jerseys that they buy will have ads on them as well.

Just like in the NBA, the players jerseys will have a small, barely noticeable ad, that you are going to totally forget about when they are playing. Just like you barely noticed there was a green enterprise on the helmet like 3 weeks into the season.
Well, soccer kits feature ads. Even the ones fans buy. Also, I noticed the ads on the helmets all season. They look terrible.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

You've already fallen into the trap. They will just keep adding more and more ads and people will eat it up every single time saying “it’s barely noticeable” until the jerseys start looking like European ones. That’s exactly where this is headed.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Hopefully NHL doesnt go European style. It's horrendous. And it won't stop on jerseys. Next will be ice rink full of ads.
81313994_10157899084332436_4357978765494583296_n.jpg

Some of the minor leagues have some comparable on ice ad amounts.

Bottom line with the ads on jerseys/ ice/ helmets and wherever else, sports is a business and if they can figure out or add another revenue stream, they will explore and do it.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
so will the coyotes move to quebec, KC or houston?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sad to hear about the passing of former player Jimmy Hayes, just 31 years old. He was on the Missin Curfew podcast with Scottie Upshall and Shane O’Brien and it can be a pretty entertaining show.

His brother Kevin of course plays for the Flyers, and those two have a lot of tight-knit relationships with other guys connected to the Boston area. I know Krug, Sanford and Shattenkirk are among them.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Sad to hear about the passing of former player Jimmy Hayes, just 31 years old. He was on the Missin Curfew podcast with Scottie Upshall and Shane O’Brien and it can be a pretty entertaining show.

His brother Kevin of course plays for the Flyers, and those two have a lot of tight-knit relationships with other guys connected to the Boston area. I know Krug, Sanford and Shattenkirk are among them.
It’s sad when anyone passes away, but this one is hitting me hard.
Two young kids, likable. It’s like losing a family member.

I love ice hockey.

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH

Agreed and RIP Jimmy Hayes. IIRC either he or his brother are second cousins with Big Walt.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Agreed and RIP Jimmy Hayes. IIRC either he or his brother are second cousins with Big Walt.
Yep you are right. They are related to the Tkachuks, forgot to mention them too.

Pretty sad. Lots of guys will be opening camp with a heavy heart in a few weeks.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Former Ranger great Rod Gilbert has died.

I remember a funny comment of his. Rod, a skilled Frenchie, was asked by a reporter if hockey fights were fixed. Rod answered - if they were, I would be in some of them.

Rod was part of the Rangers' GAG line, meaning goal-a-game. Ratelle, Hadfield and Gilbert

Reactions: MissouriMook

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That jersey is ridiculous, and the ice surface is worse.

If owners are willing to go to these extremes to make money, they should take up pimping.

Reactions: Apitheous

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Couturier signed for 8 years 7.75 million. This will be a pretty good comp for O'Reilly, not on term, but cap hit should be in that ballpark.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Couturier signed for 8 years 7.75 million. This will be a pretty good comp for O'Reilly, not on term, but cap hit should be in that ballpark.
ROR will be 32.5 years old when his contract ends. You willing to give 8-years for ROR when he is almost 33-years old.

Let say he will get ~5 years, but AAV will be higher than 7.75 or coming seasons ROR will regress heavily and his value goes low, I doubt that will happend how he plays the game. I would compare ROR to Bergeron how he age after mid 30's. :dunno:

And how things has gone in Blues is ROR wanting to stay in Blues?

Where we are at in this team in next years. I view we go downhill how team has bleed out best players and fill spots with B type of players with overpaid numbers.

Downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad