Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Call me crazy but I wouldn’t give Skinner 9 million per season.
Not at all. He's a 35 goal 60 point player who plays mediocre at best defense, and rode an unsustainable shooting % in the first two months (20 goals in first 27 games shooting 24% vs 20 goals in last 55 games shooting 10.8%) to a new career high in goals. He's worth maybe a touch over 7mil given what Kane/Pacioretty got, but certainly not 9mil.

Unfortunately for Buffalo, they're basically forced to give him that because they can't afford to lose that sort of talent on their roster.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Not at all. He's a 35 goal 60 point player who plays mediocre at best defense, and rode an unsustainable shooting % in the first two months (20 goals in first 27 games shooting 24% vs 20 goals in last 55 games shooting 10.8%) to a new career high in goals.
Buffalo’s GM is under some pressure right now. He’s going to overpay here, but the alternative is to have an O’Reilly shaped hole in the roster become the main subject of attention ther and nothing positive to show for it (such as how he obtained a prime aged goal scorer in Skinner). Personally, I think Skinner will not live up to that contract.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
That contract is horrible! If I were a Buffalo fan, I would be calling for Botterill's head on a platter! He has made some very questionable decisions concerning personel this season.

Reactions: Devonator

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
I was going to post this on the main boards but decided I’d rather eat my fellow blues fans comments rather than the entire league but I’m starting to think no one has actually played hockey on this site. Between the initiations and drugs the only thing that surprises me about the Kuzy video is that there is a video

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Call me crazy but I wouldn’t give Skinner 9 million per season.

tenor.gif

Skinner would be a good signing, as I would like another solid top 6 goal scorer. But its not worth breaking the bank for him when we have Schenn and Pietrangelo to fit in next year. $9M is too high for a guy with a career high 63 points. If he scored 40 G among those 60 points its fine, but he has scored 30+ only only 4 out of his 9 years. He's not quite Tarasenko or Ovechkin's level and $9m is a lot for a winger. He also does not play our game. He is often unwilling to go after pucks in the trenches and forecheck. He's much better at transition offense.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
tenor.gif

Skinner would be a good signing, as I would like another solid top 6 goal scorer. But its not worth breaking the bank for him when we have Schenn and Pietrangelo to fit in next year. $9M is too high for a guy with a career high 63 points. If he scored 40 G among those 60 points its fine, but he has scored 30+ only only 4 out of his 9 years. He's not quite Tarasenko or Ovechkin's level and $9m is a lot for a winger. He also does not play our game. He is often unwilling to go after pucks in the trenches and forecheck. He's much better at transition offense.
Skinner at Tarasenko money given that Tarasenko usually puts up more points but the cap economics have lifted salaries in the last 4 years would seem reasonable. Anything north of $7.5M is an overpayment to me, and anything more than 5 years is asking for trouble. With his history, and playing a game that doesn't offer much if the scoring dries up, I would run not walk from 8/$72M for this particular player.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Toronto has never ending drama. Babcock has some of the most talent in the league and squanders it. I’ve never been impressed with Babcock. He was gifted an all star team to Detroit. They probably could have won a Cup without any coaching.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Is this how people reacted to the Kings’ runs? They played a bruising physical style with sharp goaltending. It’s not the exact same formula for the Blues, but the checking is similar. I can’t remember this much whining about the physical play EVER before.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Is this how people reacted to the Kings’ runs? They played a bruising physical style with sharp goaltending. It’s not the exact same formula for the Blues, but the checking is similar. I can’t remember this much whining about the physical play EVER before.
What's awesome is how everyone was crying because the league was getting too soft.

If the Blues road to a Championship has a few corpses here and there....oh well.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
This is also interesting in light of the skill vs tuffness debates that went on here. (Which in retrospect were kind of silly, as we all know they are not mutually exclusive). I give credit to Armstrong here. He correctly identified the Blues need for more skill and addressed it, but at the same time kept some grit. We now have an incredible combination of skill, speed and sandpaper that has brought us to the SCF. What a team he has assembled! Interestingly, Boston has followed the same route. It is all about balance.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Buffalo painted themselves into a corner with that contract, but they only have 3 top 6 forwards including Skinner

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Buffalo painted themselves into a corner with that contract, but they only have 3 top 6 forwards including Skinner

I somewhat agree Buffalo painted themselves into by trading ROR but signing Skinner for 9 million per season is ludicrous. I honestly thought Panarin was right around the 9 million mark even though he might get 10. What’s his ask going to be now 15? Does Marner ask for 15?

I get the salary cap goes up but it’s just a bad deal value wise

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I somewhat agree Buffalo painted themselves into by trading ROR but signing Skinner for 9 million per season is ludicrous. I honestly thought Panarin was right around the 9 million mark even though he might get 10. What’s his ask going to be now 15? Does Marner ask for 15?

I get the salary cap goes up but it’s just a bad deal value wise
I think Marners camp is pushing Mathews money minimum

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I can’t figure out what Buffalo is doing, but Minnesota is even more perplexing.
We are so lucky to have Army. Obviously not all of his moves worked out the way we wanted, but he has consistently done a great job of identifying our weaknesses and making moves to try to address them, taken a proactive approach to balance future needs against present, and managed the salary cap responsibly. Regardless of what happens over next few days, he is one of the best.

Reactions: Renard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad