Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
We are so lucky to have Army. Obviously not all of his moves worked out the way we wanted, but he has consistently done a great job of identifying our weaknesses and making moves to try to address them, taken a proactive approach to balance future needs against present, and managed the salary cap responsibly. Regardless of what happens over next few days, he is one of the best.
Some people tend to see only the good moves other teams' GMs make when evaluating Army, but the truth is that even the best GM in the league makes bad trades and gives out bad contracts. Managing a roster is a net sum game, and the salary cap can sour otherwise sound business decisions. Ultimately, you want your team's GM to make more good moves than bad, and the best ones know how to undo their mistakes. I'd say Army has made his share of mistakes but has done a pretty damn good job of fixing them.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
This is also interesting in light of the skill vs tuffness debates that went on here. (Which in retrospect were kind of silly, as we all know they are not mutually exclusive). I give credit to Armstrong here. He correctly identified the Blues need for more skill and addressed it, but at the same time kept some grit. We now have an incredible combination of skill, speed and sandpaper that has brought us to the SCF. What a team he has assembled! Interestingly, Boston has followed the same route. It is all about balance.
Well, it was a lot of luck and some good craftsmanship by Army. I give him full credit for trading for ROR because he has been amazing all year. I also give him credit for not signing Backes after that cup run in 2016. This allowed us to sign some free agents, namely Bozak and Maroon.

The thing I cant give him credit for is how the players have responded to adversity. We were the worst team in the league and Maroon wasn't getting hardly anything done. Insert Thomas with said free agents, and you find a really good cycle/skill line that is always dangerous on the ice. Then, you have to account for the goaltending situation heading into the year. We all expected Allen to be what he was, but the only thing that saved our season was a rookie that no one had replacing Allen. This season is a miracle season, and sure, the roster was put together by Army, but they didn't play like this until a coach and a goalie came into the picture. Kudos to the real mastermind, Berube, for having the foresight to insert Binnington in the lineup, holding players extremely accountable for their play, and having them play the right way. Without his hard-nosed coaching style, I dont see the Blues even making a playoff spot.

Edit: I really wanted to mention Sundqvist in this conversation too. We NEVER had any suspicion he would be the player he has become, but it happened. He and Barby have been a catalyst for a blue collar style, and they performed all year to higher expectations. They deserve a lot of credit as well.

Reactions: Renard and simon IC

RR10

Jul 2, 2018
My biggest problem is we are still a slow team in a speedy league. You can call me crazy if you want but I believe we would lose a rematch against the Jets. Let's not forget they dominated 5 of the 6 games but just couldn't finish. We were down 3-2 against Dallas and luckily won the 7th in OT after Benn missed a great chance. I also think we would'nt have beaten the Sharks if EK and Pavelski were healthy and Hertl didn't get injured. We need to get faster and get rid of Maroon, Edmundson, Allen and maybe even Bozak and Perron. Steens contract really sucks.

Last edited:

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
My biggest problem is we are still a slow team in a speedy league. You can call me crazy if you want but I believe we would lose a rematch against the Jets. Let's not forget they dominated 5 of the 6 games but just couldn't finish. We were down 3-2 against Dallas and luckily won the 7th in OT after Benn missed a great chance. I also think we would'nt have beaten the Sharks if EK and Pavelski were healthy and Hertl didn't get injured. We need to get faster and get rid of Maroon, Edmundson, Allen and maybe even Bozak and Perron. Steens contract really sucks.
A lot of what ifs though.
This Blues team has shown a lot of mental fortitude and plays a strong 2 way game when their backs are against the wall.
A rematch between any of those teams could very well go the same way.
Having a coach that inspires and trusts the players really goes a long way.

Deko

Jul 14, 2011
Helsinki
I kinda agree on Jets ceiling most likely being higher, but that doesn't matter shit if you can't perform consistently. The Blues fans if anyone should know this.

In Game 7 the Blues thoroughly outplayed the Stars and without Bishop and terrible puck luck it would have been a comfortable win. Obviously hockey is not always fair and Benn could have won it, but even if that had happened I would have had very little second thoughts about the way Blues played in that game. If you insist being devil's advocate on that series, I'd rather look at Game 6 where I think the Stars were on top of Blues before Perron made it 2-1 late in the second. That goal came literally out of the blue and if I remember correctly it was horridly sloppy defending by Klingberg which made it possible. However I don't recall such a poor effort from any Blues defender this postseason so you could even argue that single play is one reason why Blues are still here and Stars have been golfing for a month.

Sharks might very well have been the better team if no player was injured but that is again a huge if. I also think Berube outcoached DeBoer by a relatively wide margin in that series. Binnington being better than Jones is one big factor as well.

What I wholeheartedly agree though is that even if they win the Cup it shouldn't be an excuse to not make necessary adjustments. Regardless of what happens I'd like Armstrong to try get rid of Steen's contract and also consider bringing in a new assistant to take care of special teams.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have to wonder if Backes asks for a trade after being benched in the Finals.
I think he's got to retire. For his long-term health, he's got to retire.

Don't forget he had to have surgery because of colitis. Its all taken a big toll, and its time for him to enjoy the phase of life after his hockey playing days.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I think he's got to retire. For his long-term health, he's got to retire.

Don't forget he had to have surgery because of colitis. Its all taken a big toll, and its time for him to enjoy the phase of life after his hockey playing days.

I would probably agree but it’s walking away from a lot of money. I’m sure it’s not an easy decision.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I would probably agree but it’s walking away from a lot of money. I’m sure it’s not an easy decision.
If he retires after his July 1st bonus, he'll have earned 25 out of 30mil of his current contract, and playing to next summer would only net him two of the remaining five million he's set to get over the next two seasons. He's probably got enough to go on LTIR with his diverticulitis and concussion history, so I'd imagine that's what he does, and with his contract moving to a limited NTC instead of full NMC, the Bruins have more flexibility to move him as a cap dump.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Perron and Bozak contracts were great last summer. Cap hit and term.

However, when Jeff Skinner just signed for 8 years at $9m per? That Eberle contract is really good. Skinner might score more goals, but his career high is still 63 points. If Eberle was just adjusting to the more defensive system the Islanders were running and he returns to the 50-60 point range next season? They have a really nice contract.
If he retires after his July 1st bonus, he'll have earned 25 out of 30mil of his current contract, and playing to next summer would only net him two of the remaining five million he's set to get over the next two seasons. He's probably got enough to go on LTIR with his diverticulitis and concussion history, so I'd imagine that's what he does, and with his contract moving to a limited NTC instead of full NMC, the Bruins have more flexibility to move him as a cap dump.
As you say, when there is talk about someone like Backes retiring, it is talking about LTIR. Once his bonus is paid then he is due $5m over the next two years, so Boston could move that contract.

It's just up to him. It's easy to say that he should retire, but if he loves playing hockey then it can lead to stupid decisions. Guys who pay to be part of beer leagues keep playing even when their body is telling them no, nobody should be surprised someone getting paid millions to play is willing to do the same.

I know some people suggest that Steen could go this route as well, but I just don't see it.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
The Perron and Bozak contracts were great last summer. Cap hit and term.

However, when Jeff Skinner just signed for 8 years at $9m per? That Eberle contract is really good. Skinner might score more goals, but his career high is still 63 points. If Eberle was just adjusting to the more defensive system the Islanders were running and he returns to the 50-60 point range next season? They have a really nice contract.

As you say, when there is talk about someone like Backes retiring, it is talking about LTIR. Once his bonus is paid then he is due $5m over the next two years, so Boston could move that contract.

It's just up to him. It's easy to say that he should retire, but if he loves playing hockey then it can lead to stupid decisions. Guys who pay to be part of beer leagues keep playing even when their body is telling them no, nobody should be surprised someone getting paid millions to play is willing to do the same.

I know some people suggest that Steen could go this route as well, but I just don't see it.

Steen will be playing for us nect year, with a 5.75m cap hit. The 2020-2021 season, he's due 3.5m and his NTC expires before the Trade deadline. There's a possibility he gets moved then.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Steen will be playing for us nect year, with a 5.75m cap hit. The 2020-2021 season, he's due 3.5m and his NTC expires before the Trade deadline. There's a possibility he gets moved then.
I agree, I just can't see him wanting to be on LTIR.

As for potentially trading him, I think that ship has sailed. I heard talk that we asked him to waive twice last summer and he refused both teams, and after the numbers he posted this season I doubt there would be much interest.

Not that we're in any urgent need to be moving anyone out.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Maybe, but he would count against the cap.

They signed him to the contract and every Blues fans said it was terrible at that time. He won’t walk away from his contract and retire. They will have to buy him out.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Backes buyout would have cap hit of:
$5,666,667 19-20
$3,666,667 20-21
$666,667 21-22
$666,667 22-23

His cap hit buried would be $4,925,000 for two seasons.

A 2020 buyout would look like this:
$4,000,000 20-21
$1,000,000 21-22

If Boston isn't going to dump him somewhere, burying him then buying him out next season is better than a buyout this season.

But I honestly see him going LTIR with his concussion history and diverticulitis.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don’t even know where to post this beauty, so i’ll Leave it here for your enjoyment: Trashville’s POV of the Finals
Interesting. I remember reading congratulation posts from fans from all over the League, including divisional rivals Jets, Stars, Avs and even Hawks. Even some Sharks and Bruins fans posted. I don't remember a single congratulation from the Preds board. Not that it matters. I am so glad we won a Cup before they did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad