OT: Around the NHL - Cat Scratch Fever

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i'm not really worried about mcdavid having a better career because i don't think he will and he certainly hasn't yet. sid is a legend with a legendary career, every moment played out like a storybook. mcdavid's book, "the story of the 3 assist 1 goal night in december" is just not that interesting

Reactions: trader997

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
I don't know whether Emp's "I played college hockey" or pixies' "I watch every single team night in and night out" thing is my favorite. :laugh: Both absolute classics.
Yeah well, I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour, I'm funky like a monkey, sky's the limit and space is the place, OOOOOOOOOOH YEAH, DIG IT! YEAH!

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Roster yes......linemates not even effin close.

That's my position on the matter. If you want an apples to apples comparison, let's see if Geno and Sid played on the same line in 09 what their point totals would be.

McD and Draisatl play a ton together.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Meh I just wasn't that impressed with mcdavid. He was insane for a few spurts and he did benefit quite a bit from seeing tier 3 goalies and avoiding the tougher teams in the west.

Yes it is supposed to be about the entirety of the playoffs. But let's get real the finals should heavily weight things. How you perform when it really really matters should be first and foremost in peoples heads.
To me barkov should probably have gotten it. But defense might win cups but it doesn't win conn Smythe's. Mcdavid was noticeable for two games. Had a couple of decent shifts outside that. He was neutralized in game 6+7 (and 1). So in the most important series he probably is on par with Bob. Mcdavids accomplishment is impressive. But to me Conn Smythe is about being the catalyst that helps you lift lord Stanley.
In that definition I think barkov and Bob are close but would give to barkov. Mcdavid in the finals had THREE points outside of two blowout wins.....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's my position on the matter. If you want an apples to apples comparison, let's see if Geno and Sid played on the same line in 09 what their point totals would be.

McD and Draisatl play a ton together.

Sid and Malkin played 159 minutes together in the 09 run.

McDavid and Drai played 250 minutes together this playoffs.

Let's not pretend Sid didn't benefit from Malkin and vice versa in 09.

If the argument is Drai vs Malkin, I think Drai has a long, long way to go before he's in the conversation with Evgeni Malkin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
i'm not really worried about mcdavid having a better career because i don't think he will and he certainly hasn't yet. sid is a legend with a legendary career, every moment played out like a storybook. mcdavid's book, "the story of the 3 assist 1 goal night in december" is just not that interesting

This is the thing with Crosby's legacy. It's not about the individual production, it's about the romanticism. 08/09. The golden goal. The back to back cups. He's got every storyline you want.

He'll never compare in terms of the production standpoint to the greats.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Some idiot had Hyman as a vote. Showing once again they let morons vote for these awards and why it's wrong.

He had 16(!) goals - the most of any player since the '05 lockout. He only scored twice in the final round, but that's still a shit ton of goals.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
AFAIC, this finals dispelled a little bit the "McD has no help" notion. 2 of the 3 wins EDM had this series were driven by that depth. Their PK was historically good. I mean, being a net negatve-1 through the entire playoffs is absolutely insane.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
What’s bitter? That I don’t think 2 games means he all of a sudden lapped Sid who he’s been neck and neck with era adjusted his whole career? I’ll take the Cups.

McDavid has 3 era adjusted seasons over Sid's 59th rated season.

AFAIC, this finals dispelled a little bit the "McD has no help" notion. 2 of the 3 wins EDM had this series were driven by that depth. Their PK was historically good. I mean, being a net negatve-1 through the entire playoffs is absolutely insane.

Yeah, this was always a dumb narrative.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is the thing with Crosby's legacy. It's not about the individual production, it's about the romanticism. 08/09. The golden goal. The back to back cups. He's got every storyline you want.

He'll never compare in terms of the production standpoint to the greats.
????

Currently 10th overall all-time points. And that with years remaining to play, no showing of a large decline in output, and missing two of his best years with a medical malpractice misdiagnosis:

And, currently 8th overall all-time points per game:

An illustrative story:

King Croesus, entertaining the Greek Philosopher Solon, assumed himself to be the happiest man in the world, but wishes to hear his name parroted back to him by such a renowned sage. Rather than name the king as the happiest man, Solon claims that Tellus of Athens is the happiest of all men.

The King asks why? Solon tells of great things that this man did and then he fell gloriously in battle. The Athenians gave him a public funeral on the spot where he fell, and paid him the highest honours.

The King asked of another, similar story.

And another. The same.

At this point, Croesus is livid with Solon. These dead men are happier than he, a king? Surely, the old codger must have lost his marbles.

Solon explains that while Croesus is very wealthy, the wealthy can be said to be “fortunate”, but “happiness” must be reserved for those of us who have already shuffled off this mortal coil. How do we meet our end? Does our good fortune last until our dying breaths?

Solon concludes that he cannot tell Croesus if he is happy or not until he knows the manner of his death. Count no man happy until the end is known.

McDavid is a decade behind Crosby. And Crosby is the hardest working generational player, maybe in history. A star with the mindset of a grinder has been said. And STILL maintained a top ten average into his late career.

McDavid has a huge amount to go before he can be in the same talk that Crosby has proven over a long career. Not even Crosby can write his story yet, but he is much closer than McDavid is.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
????

Currently 10th overall all-time points. And that with years remaining to play, no showing of a large decline in output, and missing two of his best years with a medical malpractice misdiagnosis:

And, currently 8th overall all-time points per game:

By greats I meant the big guns in Lemieux and Gretzky.

Crosby's top era adjusted season is 59th all time.

McDavid has 3 era adjusted seasons above that one.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid would've compared to the greats production-wise if he didn't miss out on like 180pts in his peak seasons due to injury. He missed 113 games and he was sitting at 1.61PPG in those seasons, for 182pts over that span. He'd be at 1778pts atm. He'd be in the running to hit 2nd all time points by the time he retired had be been more lucky with injuries.

If McDavid lost like 115 games' worth of production in arguably his best years, I think it'd be a point worth acknowledging in the grand scheme of his career.

Reactions: Fordy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Sid would've compared to the greats production-wise if he didn't miss out on like 180pts in his peak seasons due to injury. He missed 113 games and he was sitting at 1.61PPG in those seasons, for 182pts over that span. He'd be at 1778pts atm. He'd be in the running to hit 2nd all time points by the time he retired had be been more lucky with injuries.

If McDavid lost like 115 game's worth of production in arguably his best years, I think it'd be a point worth acknowledging in the grand scheme of his career.

Mario lost major time during his career with injuries much more significant than Sid and figured it out.

Just like McDavid, when we talk about "the top 4", this things come into consideration.

It's not knock on Crosby. He's firmly in that 5-7 range all time when we talk forwards. It's incredible what he's done with his career.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
By greats I meant the big guns in Lemieux and Gretzky.

Crosby's top era adjusted season is 59th all time.

McDavid has 3 era adjusted seasons above that one.
Yes because he never played a single full season during his peak. Also that list you’re looking at is like 40% players from before 1960. Dumb.

Their adjusted rate of scoring was pretty much identical their first 7 or so seasons. McDavid probably passed Sid slightly the last two years, I don’t have the numbers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Yes because he never played a single full season during his peak. Also that list you’re looking at is like 40% players from before 1960. Dumb.

Their adjusted rate of scoring was pretty much identical their first 7 or so seasons. McDavid probably passed Sid slightly the last two years, I don’t have the numbers.

It's okay to be wrong :).

I'm fine to admit when I am.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Mario lost major time during his career with injuries much more significant than Sid and figured it out.

Just like McDavid, when we talk about "the top 4", this things come into consideration.

It's not knock on Crosby. He's firmly in that 5-7 range all time when we talk forwards. It's incredible what he's done with his career.
What's Mario got to do with anything? The comparison is Sid and McDavid.

Sid's absolutely a top-5 player all time. Argue whatever order you want, but it's Mario, Gretzky, Sid, Orr and McDavid imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad