OT: Around the NHL - Cat Scratch Fever

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
is there some hockey goon in jail that this guy can go be with in jail...
thing is he passed the car in front of him ON THE RIGHT. imagine pedaling down a bike lane or on the shoulder to get run over from behind.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Just gut wrenching. Worst thing I’ve ever seen in sports in my lifetime. I feel horrible for his family.

No tolerance for drunk drivers. Also why the Penguins should take down Briere’s number from the rafters.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
is there some hockey goon in jail that this guy can go be with in jail...
thing is he passed the car in front of him ON THE RIGHT. imagine pedaling down a bike lane or on the shoulder to get run over from behind.

I'm someone who bikes a lot and have friends that bike a lot, it's terrifying to know that this can happen to me or my friends as well. You're not "safe" just because you're in a bike lane or on the shoulder of the road.

This actually reminds me of when I almost got hit while biking in Pittsburgh by an asshole driver. I was biking down N Negley in Highland Park and was trying to make a left, and this asshole driver speeds by me and goes into the opposite lane to pass me on the left. Had I turned any quicker, I would have been smoked by this car.

I think I'm only going to bike on trails going forward, not just drunk drivers but normal drivers have no respect for the safety of cyclists.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm someone who bikes a lot and have friends that bike a lot, it's terrifying to know that this can happen to me or my friends as well. You're not "safe" just because you're in a bike lane or on the shoulder of the road.

This actually reminds me of when I almost got hit while biking in Pittsburgh by an asshole driver. I was driving down N Negley in Highland Park and was trying to make a left, and this asshole driver speeds by me and goes into the opposite lane to pass me on the left. Had I turned any quicker, I would have been smoked by this car.

I think I'm only going to bike on trails going forward, not just drunk drivers but normal drivers have no respect for the safety of cyclists.

Yeah, I don't know how people bike on city streets. This happens so frequently. Same thing with motorcyclists.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, the complete disregard for cyclists/motorcyclists is f***ing insane--from drivers to infrastructure and road design. I've thought about getting a scooter to zip around on for errands or when going for a day hike and I always think back to how often I see people driving like complete schmucks on the road.

You can do everything right and follow all the precautions and you're still just at the mercy of your average idiot behind the wheel.

Lost a friend a few years ago when he was biking to work and someone hit him not unlike the Johnny Hockey tragedy. Preventable almost all of the time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, the complete disregard for cyclists/motorcyclists is f***ing insane--from drivers to infrastructure and road design. I've thought about getting a scooter to zip around on for errands or when going for a day hike and I always think back to how often I see people driving like complete schmucks on the road.

You can do everything right and follow all the precautions and you're still just at the mercy of your average idiot behind the wheel.

Lost a friend a few years ago when he was biking to work and someone hit him not unlike the Johnny Hockey tragedy. Preventable almost all of the time.

Yeah and what makes it worse is that a lot of states have "no bikes on sidewalk" laws. The only fully safe place to bike is a trail that doesn't allow cars, which is a joke when you look at the bike culture in a lot of European cities.

This was talked about a bit in the Gaudreau thread as well, but the US has a huge problem of incompetent and reckless driving as a whole. It's far too easy to get a driver's license and far too many drivers do not appreciate/understand the risks of driving a multi-ton block of steel.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Kinda feel like this franchise is cursed:

- Gaudreau
- Matiss Kivlenieks
- Girl who died after getting hit by a puck
OH yea, Epsen Knutsen, which is why there is netting above the glass behind the net.

Brittanie Cecil, RIP.

I'm sorry for your loss.

BTW, there needs to be a sad emoji, liking this post feels wrong.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah and what makes it worse is that a lot of states have "no bikes on sidewalk" laws. The only fully safe place to bike is a trail that doesn't allow cars, which is a joke when you look at the bike culture in a lot of European cities.

This was talked about a bit in the Gaudreau thread as well, but the US has a huge problem of incompetent and reckless driving as a whole. It's far too easy to get a driver's license and far too many drivers do not appreciate/understand the risks of driving a multi-ton block of steel.
Yeah there's a colossal senior community around here and the amount of times I've seen a boomer behind the wheel, just completely overwhelmed and frozen with indecision is insane. Just totally stopped in an intersection or driving the wrong way down a one way street, etc. It's psychotic that seniors aren't regularly re-tested for their driving license.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah there's a colossal senior community around here and the amount of times I've seen a boomer behind the wheel, just completely overwhelmed and frozen with indecision is insane. Just totally stopped in an intersection or driving the wrong way down a one way street, etc. It's psychotic that seniors aren't regularly re-tested for their driving license.

Yeah and it's not just an age thing, Seattle has a huge population with foreign drivers who move here for work and simply do not know how to drive. The only accident I've ever been was because of a foreign driver making a moronic turn into oncoming traffic. But hey, at least they had like 12 "student driver" stickers covering their car!

It's just far too easy to get and keep a driver's license in this country. You need to be able to parallel park and/or make a 3-point turn once at age 16, and that allows you to drive for the rest of your life. It's just absolute idiocy.

It turns out the driver in this was also literally drinking when he was driving, meaning he was drinking beers as he was driving his car. Getting drunk and then driving is already bad enough, but literally drinking while you're driving just makes it even worse.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
It turns out the driver in this was also literally drinking when he was driving, meaning he was drinking beers as he was driving his car. Getting drunk and then driving is already bad enough, but literally drinking while you're driving just makes it even worse.
OMG, seriously?!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
OMG, seriously?!

64iqekj.png

• Wow
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah man, SW Jersey may as well be like f***in' Kentucky or something. It's nothing but back roads and farms. You could legitimately probably find at least one drunk driver a night if you looked hard enough down around that area.

1E5706DEE84D8FCF3DDA93D0F853BC69.jpg

Middle of nowhere. Just woods, back roads and fields.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Couple of things:

1. I "kinda" understood drinking/driving back in the day. Taxis were not prevalent and people justified it as "how am I going to get home after being at the bar all night?" In 2024, there are a billion ride sharing options. If you get a DUI you are an absolute moron of the highest order.

2. I have a couple of cop friends. They've both made the comment along the lines of: we estimate that if you've been pulled over for DUI, you've likely done it about 1,000x (not a typo) before.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Drivers have far more distractions nowadays that is for sure. I don't feel as safe taking the dog for a walk as I did say 20+ years ago. Maybe I'm just turning into a boomer who yells at clouds.

Anyways, if this dirtbag was drinking he deserves a sentence far worse than what he will likely get.

It amazes me how lax the laws are on drunk drivers. Truly infuriating how lenient the law is.
Giving people two "oopsies" before something serious happens is certainly not the best way to go about it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, the worst drunk driving offender I've ever seen was a dude I knew in high school and college who went on to become a cop. Used to do it multiple times a week and every time he got pulled over he just showed them his badge and went on his way. I think people would be shocked if they knew how many people drove drunk, not the least of which were cops.

ACAB and all that.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

I was just driving home and there is a 6’ wide separated bike lane on one of the roads. I passed a cyclist riding on the road in the middle of the wrong car lane 🤦‍♂️

BC brought in a passing law for bikes and pedestrians recently. At least 1m from side mirrors for 50km and under speed limit. 1.5m for any speed limit above. I’m not sure it’ll do much because hard to catch but at least it’s more awareness for decent drivers who listen.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad