OT: Around the NHL - Cat Scratch Fever

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I talked about it with someone the other night, and they were nonchalant about it. Turns out, they have a spotty driving record... I quickly changed the topic, but man... If you aren't upset, then you don't get it.

I'll never grasp why people either don't plan ahead or drive anyways.
I also find it weird how many want to act like it's ok or that so many have done it without issue so it isn't that bad unless it's bad. No, it's always bad. In my long ass time being alive, I haven't driven drunk. I either ask for a ride home by calling someone that I told I might be out late and drinking or I get a cab. There are other factors for me as well, if I were to even be stupid enough to drink and drive, I have to worry about cops "accidentally" shooting me. Not that I have ever thought about driving drunk, if I know I am going to drink with my mates, I arrange a ride before I go out that night, not sure why that's difficult to do for so many.

There's always a better way to figure out a ride, some places if there aren't Cabs available, they have sober drivers that will pick you up or at worst you find a hotel/motel near by and sleep it off and figure it out in the morning. There is zero excuse to do it. I've lost so many of my mates because one of their other mates decided they were ok enough to drive home after a few pints and some shots, attending those funerals would enrage me because they shouldn't be gone.

It's like doing doing stupid shit that harms others is seen as something mythological, no, it's just knowing what's right and wrong and not being a twat about it and knowing the damage your dumb choice can do to others.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
14M for Drai? woof, sure he's an elite player but that's a boat anchor of a contract. thanks to Sid always taking less then market because he understood in a cap world you gotta have enough left over $$$ to build a team.
Thing is connor only has 2 more seasons on this contract he's gotta get more, so basically they'll have 2 players for 30M+

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
14M for Drai? woof, sure he's an elite player but that's a boat anchor of a contract. thanks to Sid always taking less then market because he understood in a cap world you gotta have enough left over $$$ to build a team.
Thing is connor only has 2 more seasons on this contract he's gotta get more, so basically they'll have 2 players for 30M+
And Darnell Nurse at $9.5 million.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
So they didn't learn a damned thing about losing Holloway and Broberg? LOL...what a bunch of twats.

We're lucky both Geno and Sid took way less than market value to make sure the Pens could win 3 cups. Meanwhile, Oilers players proving they're not really team players at all.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I'd lose my mind if I were an Oilers fan watching my team GMed by Chiarelli then Holland now Stan Bowman. :laugh:
I can't think of a more deserving franchise to be in that situation, well maybe the VGK as well.

Imagine having 26.5m tied up with 2 players. With Nurse's 9.5 and Bouchard likely going to make closer to 10-11m in his extension, lol they'll have 46-47m tied up with 4 players. More than half their salary cap on 4 players. They've effectively f***ed themselves from every contending seriously.

Hyman and RNH add another 10.125m and then Kane makes that 15.125 so a total of 7 players taking up 60m+ when that Drai contract kicks in.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The Oilers can do something good. I’m shocked.

Remember when the Hawks kept saying what Beach said never happened and then they were caught in their lies by the firm they hired to look into it and then quickly released that Jonathan Toews piece? LOL...

Oilers suddenly doing something decent all the while having that :eek::eek::eek::eek: for a GM doesn't fly with me.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Oilers fans think Mcdavid is some genius recruiter and the players will willingly take massive cuts in pay to play for them.

Yet two players literally just left and they didn't get massive salaries either, Broberg is basically getting his money for what he could become and Holloway is slightly overpaid.

Skinner only took less because of his buyout. I mean Adam Henrique didn't take a pay cut at all and neither did Arvidsson who had to take a contract like that to prove he's not made out of glass.

Lol those fans are delusional af.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Oilers fans think Mcdavid is some genius recruiter and the players will willingly take massive cuts in pay to play for them.

Yet two players literally just left and they didn't get massive salaries either, Broberg is basically getting his money for what he could become and Holloway is slightly overpaid.

Skinner only took less because of his buyout. I mean Adam Henrique didn't take a pay cut at all and neither did Arvidsson who had to take a contract like that to prove he's not made out of glass.

Lol those fans are delusional af.

Most players won’t take pay cuts nor should they especially if they have no/little trade protection.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I'm surprised Bowman didn't schedule the contract announcement the same day as the Gaudreau brothers' funeral with a press conference right outside the church.
It would be like the scene in Zoolander with the DJ at the funeral when Hansel walks in.

Ignatius

Utah Direwolf
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Drai probably needs to ask for that much just because of how much he is going to lose in paying taxes and the fact that you have to be in Edmonton. On paper it looks nice up front I guess...

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
The Oilers fans in that thread are hilarious, basically just hoping the cap keeps going up so it makes the contracts look less terrible.

For one, Sid & Geno when they first got their matching 8.7m cap hit extensions in 2008-09 and 2009-10, they were still just 21 and 22yrs old, not 28. They also signed that extension after making to the finals twice and winning the cup the 2nd time in Sid's first year with that new contract, so they could have just gone for the max cap hits but nah, they took less, all the Pens core players took less to keep the team competitive.

Oilers made the finals once in the Drai/McD era, both are almost 30. Leon turns 29 in October and McDavid hits 28 in January. This is when you take a shorter term deal at a lower cap hit to really say f*** you to the league so they can add a lot and really push for a cup, but nah, lol.

Imagine if in 2013-14 Sid did what Draisaitl did, Sid would be 26yrs old signing that new 8yr deal at 10.28m cap hit, that would effectively take out a lot of the moves the Pens did end up making, you likely can't add Kessel at all, the Hornqvist trade maybe still goes down because it was a cap swap of Neal and Horny, but a lot of other moves don't happen at all and Malkin maybe takes more as well which means Letang would have taken more too. That's if they did the same dipshit thing the Oilers "core" is doing now.

lol

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
It’ll be fun watching the Oilers flame out year after year when it matters. If they even really contend at all.

But hey…”rEGULAr SeAsOn JuGgErNaUtS” amirite?? :rolleyes:

:biglaugh:

Such a trash franchise. If they didn’t have their 4 years of Gretzky/Messier superstardom in the 80’s, they’d probably have been moved to f***in’ Idaho by now.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It’ll be fun watching the Oilers flame out year after year when it matters. If they even really contend at all.

But hey…”rEGULAr SeAsOn JuGgErNaUtS” amirite?? :rolleyes:

:biglaugh:

Such a trash franchise. If they didn’t have their 4 years of Gretzky/Messier superstardom in the 80’s, they’d probably have been moved to f***in’ Idaho by now.
Like I get the adds of Skinner and Arvidsson finally give them a better top 6 of depth...

RNH, Mcdavid, Hyman
Skinner, Draisaitl, Arvidsson

But that bottom 6 is laughably bad...

Janmark, Henrique, Perry
Hamblin, Ryan, Brown
Podkolzin

I like how they pin their hopes on the league doing some massive raises to the salary cap that they don't normally do and in the way they raise it and the trends, they've already done a jump of 4-4.5 twice, they don't do that each year at all and the last time they did a bump that high was 2019 when it went up around 5m and then it was barely a raise of 1m or so for years.

Like their basic understanding of the cap, cap floor, markets, is just comical. So they think small market teams are going to just be like yeah that's cool, cap floor will be like 68-70m, sure we can go broke while rebuilding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad