OT: Around the NHL - Cat Scratch Fever

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
That Draisaitl thread continues to deliver.

So most feel Draisaitl and McDavid should get as much as possible on the premises of the cap going up to 97-98m, which would be a lot of massive increases in the cap over each year, which of course has massive implications to the smaller market teams and the cap floor, but their entire take is "how much of a discount should they even give" then noting 16-19% of the cap for each player and thinking that will somehow net their team a cup.

The best part is they're now ignoring Bouchard's huge increase and Skinner (if he continues to get better).

I too, wish to live in this fantasy land of magical cap increases so the Pens can sign everyone.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I think we’d take almost anyone at this point.
The issue to me is that all anyone really thinks about is who was fired recently that is worth hiring or which Assistant has been passed around enough that makes blokes here comfortable to assume they could be a decent option or the best coach in the AHL that might be worthy of a shot (we literally had one in Vellucci and had multiple opportunities to hand him the team to see if he can do better than Sullivan and instead they just doubled down on Sullivan with an extension and his clone as his new Assistant).

I think there's a lot of really good candidates that this team should look at that are some repeated names but also ones that deserve a better shot.

Todd Nelson to me is one that has always deserved a shot and I absolutely love his approach to coaching and his players will run through a wall for him just as he would for his team. He also openly admits (as do his players) that he wants feedback good or bad and doesn't hold it against the players and the players have stated the same that Nelson is very good at getting them to really buy in because of that. He was so royally screwed over in Edmonton. They hired him to be their next coach, its what Todd told them, he did an amazing job for their Affiliate and then they hired Dallas Eakins from another AHL team, of course Eakins goes 1yr, absolutely dreadful and gets shit-canned early the next season where Todd takes over and does better than Eakins ever did in Edmonton.

Then to me you pick a new age coaching brain out of the ranks - David Carle is one I have mentioned to death since Warsofsky is now the Sharks HC. Warsofsky was someone I also mentioned a ton before he even joined the Sharks, kind of sucks but whatever, there are some good options out there. I mean at worst maybe even go Vellucci as the HC, Nelson as the AC (Nelson might not even bother if it's an Assistant gig again), Carle as AC2, you basically have a succession line ready to go there. Unless they just clean house which I would totally get and just go Nelson as the HC, so weird he's not a coach in the NHL at all.

“The guys love playing for Nelly,” said 29-year-old veteran Steve Pinizzotto. “There were times the roster was changing on a nightly basis. You can’t give Nelly, Gerry and Rocky enough credit. They’ve done a tremendous job.”

Nelson, 44, has been a professional head coach for seven seasons. All seven teams have reached the playoffs. His teams are 137 games over .500.

His systems are aggressive, hockey’s version of fast-break basketball.

Team captain Anton Lander said Nelson’s system is tweaked but never changes. Despite bouncing back and forth between Edmonton and Oklahoma City this season, Lander said it’s always a smooth transition when he rejoins the Barons.

“Nelly, Gerry and Rocky have been together, which is big,” Lander said. “It’s the same system every year. The thing they do best is bring the team together. We work hard for the guy next to us in the locker room.”

This was Fridgeman back in 2015...

When Todd Nelson took over for Dallas Eakins in Edmonton, I’m not sure how many people thought he would be the permanent choice. It’s no guarantee, but it’s very clear he’s put himself deep into the conversation. The Oilers are determined to wait until after the season before making any decisions, but it’s going to take a real high-level candidate to push him out.

I’d wondered if (for argument’s sake) Todd McLellan was the guy, if the Oilers may ask him to keep Nelson as his top assistant. But that’s a recipe for trouble, and it’s believed Nelson, who has already been an NHL assistant, would rather run his own bench than return to that position. One thing is for sure: everyone’s learned he coaches at the NHL level exactly how he does it at the AHL level. Players relate to him, and play hard for him.

Anyways, funny enough while Nelson would have been a good option for the Capitals, they hired Carbery instead, someone Dubas hired as Keefe's Assistant for 2yrs before the Caps plucked him back. Carbery is a damn good hire and it sucks to see the Caps get lucky with him, he's definitely a coach that will have a fantastic coaching career and I like his uptempo style - hard to see with an older roster but as it gets younger, it'll show more.

Last edited:

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I wasn't sure about Carbery when he took over. It was first time as a head coach in the NHL, and he was taking over a team in transition. I want to see what he does with a revamped roster.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I wasn't sure about Carbery when he took over. It was first time as a head coach in the NHL, and he was taking over a team in transition. I want to see what he does with a revamped roster.
Carbery went from player to coaching a year after he retired, he immediately showed promise in his time in the ECHL that got him hired by the OHL for a year as Head Coach and then to the AHL as an Assistant with Providence and then Hershey's head coach for 3yrs which eventually caught the eye of Dubas in Toronto and he was hired on as one of Keefe's Assistant's for 2 seasons before the Capitals picked him as their next coach because of their familiarity with him as their AHL coach.

Funny enough, he twice the experience in coaching than what Dan Bylsma had before he took over the Penguins. He spent 11yrs as an Assistant and Head coach in the ECHL, AHL, OHL and NHL. I kind of like just checking which coaches are up and coming and try to watch games to see their style, makes me keep hope alive that the Penguins might hire one of these blokes some day, so Carbery, Warsofsky, Carle, Nelson etc are all blokes I am a fan of because I've seen what they can do as coaches and read about their style of coaching. Carbery will succeed, I'd be very shocked if he's out of coaching in 5yrs, I like his up tempo style and he deserves more hype around him.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Carbery went from player to coaching a year after he retired, he immediately showed promise in his time in the ECHL that got him hired by the OHL for a year as Head Coach and then to the AHL as an Assistant with Providence and then Hershey's head coach for 3yrs which eventually caught the eye of Dubas in Toronto and he was hired on as one of Keefe's Assistant's for 2 seasons before the Capitals picked him as their next coach because of their familiarity with him as their AHL coach.

Funny enough, he twice the experience in coaching than what Dan Bylsma had before he took over the Penguins. He spent 11yrs as an Assistant and Head coach in the ECHL, AHL, OHL and NHL. I kind of like just checking which coaches are up and coming and try to watch games to see their style, makes me keep hope alive that the Penguins might hire one of these blokes some day, so Carbery, Warsofsky, Carle, Nelson etc are all blokes I am a fan of because I've seen what they can do as coaches and read about their style of coaching. Carbery will succeed, I'd be very shocked if he's out of coaching in 5yrs, I like his up tempo style and he deserves more hype around him.

It's just most of Washington's hires the past 25 years have been newbies. Cassidy, Hanlon, Boudreau, Hunter, Oates, Reirden... I wasn't sure how Carbery was going to turn out.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It's just most of Washington's hires the past 25 years have been newbies. Cassidy, Hanlon, Boudreau, Hunter, Oates, Reirden... I wasn't sure how Carbery was going to turn out.
Cassidy I will say was definitely rushed into coaching, he spent a lot of time going back as an assistant and then a coach in the ahl for years before Boston plucked him from Providence. Bruce was a good hire, he was the one that brought them into being a playoff team and actually less of a joke.

Hanlon was a tank hire. Simple as that. Then they did the stupid legacy hires as coaches like Oates and Hunter and neither really stuck around as head coaches for much longer after.

The difference with Carbery is he spent 11yrs in coaching at various levels before he got his chance, he was already far more seasoned than any of those other names (had as many years in coaching as Hunter but for Dale it was 99% in the OHL and he ever went back to the NHL as a coach), except Bruce, and had built up a very good reputation as a coach.

I think the issue is you and most of everyone else is so used to seeing coaches at 50yrs old or late 40's and age for Carbery might make some say not enough experience but he's been working hard at coaching in the echl, ohl, ahl, and even stints as an assistant in the NHL for the better part of 11yrs. He's built up a decent CV.

Reactions: BHD

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Every time I think I'm over the sadness, I get another reminder that life is not fair.

**** the ****ing POS who did it, every single ****ing day of his pathetic ****ing life.
Wow that is just so unfair. But also I'm happy as well that while two lives are gone, two more are about to enter for that family and the universe is just making sure there's more little versions of them to spread the good their Dad's did.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I've heard the cap is going up 5m every year for the last decade

I think we've gone up like 7mil maybe
The cap hasn't gone up in big jumps of 4-5m consecutively often until recently, before it'd either be a flat cap or go up around 1-1.5m which made sense, but for them to now keep going up 4-5m each year isn't really good for the league at all. I mean the next proposed jump is from 88 to 92m which I think is fine, but in the span of 3yrs it'd be something like a 12m jump from 2022-23 to 2025-26. That's a pretty decent jump, at best they should go 2m each year after that.

You will see small market teams that this cap was designed to help keep competitive so the rich teams couldn't "buy their way to the cup" would't be at a disadvantage and teams could keep their talent, really struggle to keep up or stay competitive because if they go to 100m in a few years, that cap floor which some of the smaller market teams barely even get to, are really going to struggle to stick around. Also the revenue from the last 2 seasons, it's kind of levelled off to reasonable bumps, I think a lot are putting a huge emphasis into this TV deal pushing the cap up a ton.

If they decide to keep matching the revenue and the trend, you'll see the cap hit 101m by 2027-28. If not sooner, cap floor will be closer to 80m, you might see a few teams looking for new owners or new locations around then.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
c07_301266.jpg

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad