Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Anyway, point being teams can win or lose(/not win a Cup anyway) with big concentrations of large contracts. Again, it all comes down to how well they manage the rest of their budget. I would gladly accept the challenge of building a team around a McDavid/Draisatl duo for 15-20 years. If I didn't win a Cup during that span, wow, that should go down as sheer managerial incompetence.

So far the Oilers have done a fine job of demonstrating sheer managerial incompetence. McDavid has played 9 years in the league so far. They made it to the Finals last season, at last. Adding Ekholm has been huge for them. They still have him, plus I do think they have slightly improved their forward depth since last season as well. So that's a Finals team + improvements already. No reason they shouldn't continue to compete. Well, aside from demonstrating additional levels of managerial incompetence... which is very much a possibility with Bowman on board.

Ekholm and Arvy winning a Cup would be nice. :)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I think the biggest difference in those teams and the Leafs is that those winning teams had a Goalie step up and win some games for them. Chicago also had two decent D-men in Keith and Seabrook while the Pens had Letang and Schultz.
Eh...Hyman was a good 3rd on offence and Bouchard was one of the best D last year.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Ekholm, Bouchard are all pulling their weight.

Arvidsson will help with the depth if he can stay healthy.

Henrique is a great addition.

Skinner has offense but for a team of already questionable defense... this is a more questionable choice.

Nurse's contract is bad but he is still somewhat useful.

The rest of the defense is a complete hodgepodge of 3rd pairing players and a wildcard in Emberson. They dont have anyone like Broberg ready to step up should injuries occur or the defense struggles.

I mostly like what they did on the offensive side of things but their defense is still weak and i forsee their goalies struggling again. Theyll likely be able to outscore that deficiency more often then not though.

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1725550641079.png

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
What do you think? I say not too shabby.
Yeah, sometimes somebody tries to get "too cute" with one of these lists. Whereas these things instead benefit from more of a broad historic consensus perspective, which I think this list seems to mostly get right. I'm sure some people would nitpick over who the actual #1 goalie of All-Time is, but I think Roy is at least one of the names in the mix, so it's fine.

• Love
Reactions: Ben Grimm

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Yeah, sometimes somebody tries to get "too cute" with one of these lists. Whereas these things instead benefit from more of a broad historic consensus perspective, which I think this list seems to mostly get right. I'm sure some people would nitpick over who the actual #1 goalie of All-Time is, but I think Roy is at least one of the names in the mix, so it's fine.
Mine is a minor nitpick of Hasek vs Roy, but not bad

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I'd have Ovechkin there over at least Messier, Harvey, or Roy, though I get the latter 2 are there as much to break up the forwardfest as much as anything else.

And I realize they were trying to avoid recency bias but I would have accepted Lidstrom as an alternative defenseman and provably wouldn't have scoffed at Jagr's inclusion as well.

Last edited:

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time!🥊
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'd have Ovechkin there over at least Messier, Harvey, or Roy, though I get the latter 2 are there as much to break up the forward fest as much as anything else. And I realize they were trying to avoid recency bias, but I would have accepted Lidstrom as an alternative defenseman and probably wouldn't have scoffed at Jagr's inclusion as well.
Your post is so Cali. OV top 13? :laugh: I was totally wrong about the list, because I didn't notice all the omissions. The Top Thirteen players in alphabetical order are:

Beliveau,
Bourque,
Crosby,
Gretzky,
Harvey,
Howe,
Hull,
Lemieux,
Lidstrom,
Orr,
Richard,
Roy,