Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Given the links between the two guys kind of hilarious that Laine was the one who ended up in Montreal and not Dubois. Great move from Montreal to get a 2nd and a lottery ticket that Laine bounces back in my opinion too.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Montreal is still rebuilding. They have a large amount of capspace this and next offseason. Laine doesnt hinder that. They have dvorak, savard, and armia coming off next offseason which will make way for a struble extension and theyll still have plenty of leftover cap for other additions. Even if Laine shows up and becomes a complete broken bust, they got a 2nd for Harris which is pretty good. If Laine rebounds, they make out like bandits and can flip him down the road if wanted

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
That's a fantastic move by Montreal. I truly feel like there's a 30-goal scorer there with Laine and to get him for essentially nothing can turn out to be the trade of the decade. Laine also has only two years left on that deal so even if he continues to suck it's not going to hamstring the organization for years to come.

I certainly would've taken Laine over one of Stamkos or Marchessault just because of that contract length.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
That's a fantastic move by Montreal. I truly feel like there's a 30-goal scorer there with Laine and to get him for essentially nothing can turn out to be the trade of the decade. Laine also has only two years left on that deal so even if he continues to suck it's not going to hamstring the organization for years to come.

I certainly would've taken Laine over one of Stamkos or Marchessault just because of that contract length.
As a hockey fan I probably wouldn't pass the opportunity to see Stamkos in gold, but I can get behind the thought.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't like it for Laine. He's struggled in markets that don't have strong media attention, if he gets hurt early or has a slow start the Montreal media is going to be on him like white on rice.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Laine is a $9.1mil in real money risk / reward bet. If he bounces back then Montreal made a great move.The issue is Laine hasn't played 60 games in a season since 2019-20 and $9.1 mil for a 58 game, 20ish goal season is expensive.

Last edited:

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Ugh. No way. Laine is a problem child with occasional flashes of talent whereas Stamkos has a long steady proven history.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Ugh. No way. Laine is a problem child with occasional flashes of talent whereas Stamkos has a long steady proven history.
Stamkos is nearing the end of his career. Laine is soon in his prime. He's a wild card, so doesn't necessarily fit our "all-in" plan, but if he's able to turn it around this may end up being great deal for Habs. They have great young forwards in Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky, so he doesn't need to carry such a heavy burden.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Stamkos is nearing the end of his career. Laine is soon in his prime. He's a wild card, so doesn't necessarily fit our "all-in" plan, but if he's able to turn it around this may end up being great deal for Habs. They have great young forwards in Caufield, Suzuki, Slafkovsky, so he doesn't need to carry such a heavy burden.
They've been waiting on him to to turn it around since his first season in Winnipeg, always some reasoning that never happens.

Reactions: PredsV82

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
They've been waiting on him to to turn it around since his first season in Winnipeg, always some reasoning that never happens.
Yeah and the latest is the program. He's saying his mental health has reflected on his on-ice performance, but now he feels better than ever. Yeah, it's all just verbiage until we see him in action, but at his best he's amazing. I hope for his sake that he finds the joy in the game again and succeeds.

I find it easy to believe that he's been a burden in the locker room, but I also believe that if he's taking the therapy seriously he may have turned over a new leaf. It's a huge question mark, but the potential is also huge.

21-22 PPG (56 in 56) and 22-23 he played nearly PPG (52 in 55) while last shortened season he had 0.5 PPG. I wouldn't be surprised to see him score 40.

Depending on the situation I could take either player.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
If you look at his production per 60, two of his best three years are actually been in Columbus. His main problem the last few years have been that he's just hasn't been able to stay healthy. Obviously, that's a big concern going forward but so is Stamkos' age curve.

Screenshot 2024-08-21 183625.png

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Laine reminds me a lot of Duchene in many ways. I think he can be very good in an auxiliary role, but if you're trying to depend on him as key player he's usually leaves you wanting more out of him. He also has a reputation (deservedly or not) of lacking the competitive drive it takes to be truly successful in the league beyond putting up good numbers.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I have no issue at all with the Stamkos signing given Trotz had the cap space and it's hard to get into a rebuild given the roster construction. But I think some here are underplaying the risk of him declining substantially. In fact it's already started, he's dropped off a lot at 5v5. If he can maintain PP production away from Kucherov it'll be fine. I don't mind taking that bet all things considered.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I have no issue at all with the Stamkos signing given Trotz had the cap space and it's hard to get into a rebuild given the roster construction. But I think some here are underplaying the risk of him declining substantially. In fact it's already started, he's dropped off a lot at 5v5. If he can maintain PP production away from Kucherov it'll be fine. I don't mind taking that bet all things considered.
O’Reilly and Nyquist game had started falling off before they got to the Preds as well.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If you look at his production per 60, two of his best three years are actually been in Columbus. His main problem the last few years have been that he's just hasn't been able to stay healthy. Obviously, that's a big concern going forward but so is Stamkos' age curve.

View attachment 902362
You know what I read every time someone trots out and Points per 60 chart? A guy that hasn't been able to do it. Points per 60 don't mean a thing if you can't stay on the ice.

Stamkos I'm not worried about. He's old, we knew he was old when we signed him. I'm not really hoping he turns into something he probably won't be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad