Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Comparing salaries across leagues without contextualizing the differences in cap (hard cap vs soft cap w/ luxury taxes), roster sizes, league revenue, guaranteed contracts, etc is folly.

Should league stars make more? Sure
Would them making more have an adverse impact on their teams ability to field a deep team? Likely

Would league stars making more adversely impact middling players salary? Possibly

I think if they made buyouts hurt less and did a soft cap players could theoretically make more. Not sure what it would do to team parity and financials though.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Status symbols=Yes
Profitable=Maybe, but they normally don’t care
Eg=Canadiens and the Molsons. They want to win but profits?, who cares as long as the beer money keeps rolling in.
I didn't say there were no exceptions. Or that a billionaire owner won't splurge at times. There are clear examples of that if one looks. On the other hand, rich people aren't rich because they shovel money in fireplaces.

I've met big league owners and let's just say they were not the "make it rain" sort of guys throwing stacks of $100 bills in the air. :) I would definitely not expect them to sign up to put their own personal wealth on a steady decline just so some regular joe sports fans can be entertained on their dime. So while I've heard the argument that Mr. Deeppockets can step in and bail out my team before, it's not an argument often supported with evidence.

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Coors own Molsons now, I believe, I could google it in a minute.

Looks like Molson actually bought all Miller brands. But it's based in Chicago now?
Coors bought Molson way back in 2005, although the Molson family retained a significant interest in the business (and it was renamed MolsonCoors). And yes, a few years ago MolsonCoors acquired most of the Miller brands, in particular Miller Lite, as part of an antitrust approval that was required for InBev (the owner of Bud Light) to acquire SABMiller (which owned Miller Lite at the time). Basically, the deal was not going to be approved if it resulted in the combined company owning the two best selling light beer brands in the US. So now MolsonCoors owns both Miller Lite and Coors Light, and has been performing very well in recent months due to the Bud Light marketing fiasco.

Reactions: triggrman

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Coors bought Molson way back in 2005, although the Molson family retained a significant interest in the business (and it was renamed MolsonCoors). And yes, a few years ago MolsonCoors acquired most of the Miller brands, in particular Miller Lite, as part of an antitrust approval that was required for InBev (the owner of Bud Light) to acquire SABMiller (which owned Miller Lite at the time). Basically, the deal was not going to be approved if it resulted in the combined company owning the two best selling light beer brands in the US. So now MolsonCoors owns both Miller Lite and Coors Light, and has been performing very well in recent months due to the Bud Light marketing fiasco.
Thanks, point was Molson’s are a pretty good example of billionaire owners with a status symbol team. Heck, Canadiens may even make a profit but I bet the Molson’s don’t much care.

Reactions: predhead1

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I had a terror daydream where the Preds signed both Kessel and P. Kane. Told all the RW kids they are going to Milwaukee. Then my logical brain said this: that team would be JUST below the playoffs and would pawn off Kane and Kessel as playoff rentals and the kids would be called up. Could be profitable if the team sucked.

Afterwards, I sat in AC and sipped water because I had to be out of my damned mind.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I had a terror daydream where the Preds signed both Kessel and P. Kane. Told all the RW kids they are going to Milwaukee. Then my logical brain said this: that team would be JUST below the playoffs and would pawn off Kane and Kessel as playoff rentals and the kids would be called up. Could be profitable if the team sucked.

Afterwards, I sat in AC and sipped water because I had to be out of my damned mind.
Well, I don't feel optimistic about Kessel, but once Anaheim signs Zegras and Drysdale we are gonna be the 3rd-lowest Cap team in the entire league. That does not scream out "trying to win". I hate Kane for myriad reasons you can all relate to, but... he says he is feeling better than ever, and will come back sooner than originally expected, and we're currently penciling in a training camp battle between Kiefer Sherwood and Denis Gurianov? So... uh... yeah, if Kane wants to sign here for 1yr x $5M... feels to me like that should be a no-brainer.
:dunno:

What's the worst that can happen? We waive Gurianov or bump Smith to the pressobx in favor of Sherwood? Signing a winger is a no-lose scenario for us atm, no?

It's possible Kane is toast. But we all know he was playing hurt last year. So there is that mitigation. As opposed to Kessel who his team couldn't even put on the ice, 100% healthy, in the playoffs?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Well, I don't feel optimistic about Kessel, but once Anaheim signs Zegras and Drysdale we are gonna be the 3rd-lowest Cap team in the entire league. That does not scream out "trying to win". I hate Kane for myriad reasons you can all relate to, but... he says he is feeling better than ever, and will come back sooner than originally expected, and we're currently penciling in a training camp battle between Kiefer Sherwood and Denis Gurianov? So... uh... yeah, if Kane wants to sign here for 1yr x $5M... feels to me like that should be a no-brainer.

What's the worst that can happen? We waive Gurianov or bump Smith to the pressobx in favor of Sherwood? Signing a winger is a no-lose scenario for us atm, no?

It's possible Kane is toast. But we all know he was playing hurt last year. So there is that mitigation. As opposed to Kessel who his team couldn't even put on the ice, 100% healthy, in the playoffs?

Why I thought twice about it.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Why I thought twice about it.
At least you replied to this one, before you got to my genetics reply! :D

I do not in any way expect Kane to come here, mind you. But we are definitely one of the "very few teams" who could do it. If he wants to play on the DeBrincat-Larkin-Kane line, fine, for 1x$5M then Detroit can make that happen. No tears will be shed here if that's the result!

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Canning your head coach you hired in the offseason before a single game is played. Columbus fans getting a front row seat to a gong show.
Sorry Viqsi. But it was kind of predictable. Hire dinosaur coaches, get dinosaur results. It doesn't get better for the vetting process/GM status either, given this happened on their watch. Kekalainen was kind of viewed as a fresh guy many years ago based only on being a Euro GM. But he seems to have a certain saurian outlook also, alas. They might have stolen our guy, Brunette, instead. I wonder how we'll look at that in a few months, depending on how the team performs under Brunette. :dunno:

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Canning your head coach you hired in the offseason before a single game is played. Columbus fans getting a front row seat to a gong show.
Canned before training camp actually opens.
July 1 to today is 79 days. This shall now officially be known as a "Babs"

All future coaching changes shall be measured in "Babs" units.

• Haha
Reactions: Lug

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder what money he will get out of this. He already spent the last 4 years living high off the huge contract he had from the Leafs. He was getting like $6.25M a year to do nothing. What a nice ride if he gets millions out of this debacle too. The contract with BJ's was reportedly 2x$4M. If he is "resigning" I doubt he leaves it all on the table, they are probably paying him at least some chunk of it to walk away? :oops: I wish my boss would pay me to go away. :D

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Based on what is kind of filtering out I have a strange feeling what the Vets commented on and what the complaint was about were two different things entirely.

Basically Vets did this in a group setting and to them it felt like team building. The complaint I have a feeling is a case where outside of this that Babcock grabbed some kids phone and just started going through his stuff without permission, or at least something along those lines.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I've been out of the loop in the hockey world for the last several days so the Babcock thing is a crazy story to come back to. Crazy from the way it broke on Spitting Chiclets to the whole situation itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad