Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Just woke up because of MS blahs, see the Karlson trade and Montreal still need to dump cap to get players off LTIR

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Like I said just woke up. To get Caufield off IR They still need $2.521,666,

EDIT: my assumption is they found a taker for Allen
I think you'll find if you are looking at CapFriendly they already include all the guys they have on regular IR in the Cap totals. So with Price on LTIR, they actually now have like $5M+ of Cap space they could still theoretically use. Caufield's hit is already included.

I don't really know why CapFriendly does that... presumably those guys aren't going to be injured at the start of the coming season anyway, They could just shift them to the regular rosters and give a much better reflection of the team lineups if they did that. It's like for our roster, they have Forsberg on IR, but his full $8.5M Cap hit is included in our total already.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I think you'll find if you are looking at CapFriendly they already include all the guys they have on regular IR in the Cap totals. So with Price on LTIR, they actually now have like $5M+ of Cap space they could still theoretically use. Caufield's hit is already included.

I don't really know why CapFriendly does that... presumably those guys aren't going to be injured at the start of the coming season anyway, They could just shift them to the regular rosters and give a much better reflection of the team lineups if they did that. It's like for our roster, they have Forsberg on IR, but his full $8.5M Cap hit is included in our total already.

ah yes. I forgot. I agree. just put them on the roster.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Pittsburgh fans celebrating paying next to nothing for the reining norris champ. I just have this nagging feeling that Karlsson turns back into a broken pumpkin next season.

I think montreal made it out of that trade the best personally

Reactions: PredsV82

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Pittsburgh fans celebrating paying next to nothing for the reining norris champ. I just have this nagging feeling that Karlsson turns back into a broken pumpkin next season.

Next to nothing in terms of the assets going back, I assume? Granlund, Rutta, Petry, DeSmith, Legare, a 1st and 2nd, and some cap space. Seems like a lot to give up for Rem Pitlick and a couple other guys. :naughty:

Karlsson is now the highest paid guy on the Penguins roster, even with the Sharks retaining a bit of his contract. I'm sure they think he's going to continue to be a scoring machine, but I'm, well, skeptical.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Next to nothing in terms of the assets going back, I assume? Granlund, Rutta, Petry, DeSmith, Legare, a 1st and 2nd, and some cap space. Seems like a lot to give up for Rem Pitlick and a couple other guys. :naughty:

Karlsson is now the highest paid guy on the Penguins roster, even with the Sharks retaining a bit of his contract. I'm sure they think he's going to continue to be a scoring machine, but I'm, well, skeptical.
I think the biggest thing Pittsburgh is giving up here is 10 mil in capspace for a player with an injury history and 1 great year over the past 4 or 5.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I think the biggest thing Pittsburgh is giving up here is 10 mil in capspace for a player with an injury history and 1 great year over the past 4 or 5.
Full transparency, I am not at all a fan of Karlsson. He has a massive reputation, but, like you say, he's brittle, inconsistent, and I'll leave it at that. The 10M/yr contract could become a real albatross if he returns to form. (Last season, his shooting percentage was 2x his career average.) And since it is the Penguins, that's fine too. :)

Reactions: herzausstein

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Full transparency, I am not at all a fan of Karlsson. He has a massive reputation, but, like you say, he's brittle, inconsistent, and I'll leave it at that. The 10M/yr contract could become a real albatross if he returns to form. (Last season, his shooting percentage was 2x his career average.) And since it is the Penguins, that's fine too. :)
Theyve got roughly 37 million tied up in players over 33. All of which have pretty long injury histories (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson, Carter). I guess this either puts them over the top or sends them into the rebuild.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This is just Pittsburghs last gasp at giving Crosby,Malkin and Letang a shot at another Cup.

Hopefully it bites them right in the ass. Seriously, f*** those guys
Kindof funny looking at the petry part isolated....

Pittsburgh paid

Matheson
2023 4th
2025 2nd
Legare (ahl fodder)
DeSmith (nhl backup)
25% of Petry's cap

For 1 year of Petry and 1 year of poehling (he is now with philly).

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022

The price wasn't steep, but given that a year ago everyone thought the Sharks would be saddled with that contract forever, getting out of $10M of it and getting a first rounder out of it isn't so bad.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The price wasn't steep, but given that a year ago everyone thought the Sharks would be saddled with that contract forever, getting out of $10M of it and getting a first rounder out of it isn't so bad.
Pitts may of spent a 1st and all the sunk cost around granlund and petry for a different boat anchor of a contract. I personally think this backfires spectacularly

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

But they also picked up a Granlund rock for a couple of years and Hoffman for 1. So basically they freed up no cap the first year for a 1st rounder. That's fine of course.

Pittsburgh on the other hand had nothing to lose here and all they really gambled was a couple of terrible years on the back end of the EK contract. If I were a fan of that team (gross) I'd be super excited about this deal. Dark times are coming eventually but might as well ride it out with the old guys while you can.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
But they also picked up a Granlund rock for a couple of years and Hoffman for 1. So basically they freed up no cap the first year for a 1st rounder. That's fine of course.

Pittsburgh on the other hand had nothing to lose here and all they really gambled was a couple of terrible years on the back end of the EK contract. If I were a fan of that team (gross) I'd be super excited about this deal. Dark times are coming eventually but might as well ride it out with the old guys while you can.
Yeah, the next couple years don't really matter to SJ though. Actually they'll still probably be bad 4 years from now lol, but at least they'll have some more cap flexibility in case the rebuild is accelerated.

I agree the deal makes sense for both sides. It's not an ideal situation for either org but they both did what they needed to.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Granlund will help drive the tank. His 5v5 output has been bad for years. He can be a "good vet" player that can help shelter the young guys. Hoffman is a throw away filler that may get them a late pick at the deadline if they retain 50%.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Granlund is basically only a passer from behind the net and around the end boards at this stage. Hoffman is only an above average finisher between the dots. It's possible they can find a role, but much more likely they continue or become a worse versions of what they have been.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Granlund is basically only a passer from behind the net and around the end boards at this stage. Hoffman is only an above average finisher between the dots. It's possible they can find a role, but much more likely they continue or become a worse versions of what they have been.
The Sharks don't really need him to led the team in ATOI for forwards, to be a sharpshooter, to play to PK, etc. If he holds down a roster spot, takes normal shifts, and does little more than feed Hertl scoring chances from the half wall and that leads them to lose games 7-3 or 8-4, their management will be content with it.

So both of these guys being statistically worse, but filling a role, and continuing the tank job to compete for the #1OA draft pick and the rebuild is probably what the Sharks wouldn't mind.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
On the surface $13.25M seems a bit low to me for Matthews. But. Getting like 95% in signing bonuses, $16.7M in year 1, and full NMC certainly helps. As long as he doesn’t get a career-ending injury in the next 5 seasons he might be able to spend a little time as the highest-earning hockey player ever. Until times inevitably roll salaries even higher, of course.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Hockey salaries are beginning to get out of control. That’s gonna be the end of hockey as we know it if it continues. Dangerous business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad