Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah and pretty sure I just saw Fiala on the PK o_O
All these players are rich enough to take a summer trip to Australia if they ever want to. I wouldn't look at it as that much of a "fun experience" for them. So this is just another boondoggle by the NHL that I would NEVER want my team to participate in. Look NHL... if you REALLY want to "grow the game" or whatever, do a World Cup. Take it offline from the NHL season.

That said, if they want to do this stuff with teams in our Conference who aren't us... hmmm... boondoggle away! :naughty:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I feel like playing in the Global Series last year was at least party responsible for our terrible start. I know it was cool for our Euro fans and our fans who could make the trip but hopefully we don’t do it again.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean going to Europe as part of the Global Series I could see being a really cool thing for a lot of the players because many are from there and it gives them a chance to show the rest of the team their culture, maybe some of their favorite spots, etc.

Australia though? I can't imagine there were too many of the players and staff that were thrilled about making that trip.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I mean going to Europe as part of the Global Series I could see being a really cool thing for a lot of the players because many are from there and it gives them a chance to show the rest of the team their culture, maybe some of their favorite spots, etc.

Australia though? I can't imagine there were too many of the players and staff that were thrilled about making that trip.

I mean.... id love to go to Australia personally. I wonder how many hockey fans there are there

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I mean.... id love to go to Australia personally. I wonder how many hockey fans there are there
Arena was sold out both nights. They did intermission pieces on the youth hockey organizations around Australia. They even mentioned that hockey had been played in Australia for the past 100 years. I know that doesn’t state how many hockey fans are in Australia but it does make an argument that hockey is there and growing.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I would love to basically step on every inch of our beautiful planet before I die. But that's not financially feasible. So ok. Australia is one place I'm definitely not going to end up crossing off my bucket list. :( (Or even New Zealand as a bigger attraction)

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I haven't kept up with Smith but remember being impressed with him the few times I saw him. What happened to him?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
We technically only need to keep our 7 veteran D, the rest are waiver exempt… so we’d have room for an 8th picked up on waivers…

Whether Smith is worth being the one guy we take on waivers out of all who will be available in the coming week… who knows. He sure was considered hot stuff as a prospect. I suspect Pittsburgh is partly gambling on teams asking themselves that question, about being the guy you take, and then holding off hoping for some even better windfall. :dunno:

If he isn’t terrible I’d consider taking him. We have tried some reclamations recently with Foote and Myers. They didn’t work out. But it’s not like it hurt us any to try, right?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm still not sold Foote was ever considered a reclamation, just had to take him to get the deal done. In the mean time we more or less gave him a peak in case something was there, but as quickly as they let go of him I can't imagine there was that much actual interest.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm still not sold Foote was ever considered a reclamation, just had to take him to get the deal done. In the mean time we more or less gave him a peak in case something was there, but as quickly as they let go of him I can't imagine there was that much actual interest.
Either way, it’s equivalent to the minor level of interest or “peek” that is all it would take with Smith also. In fact, with so much of Training Camp left, there’s still time to take that peek and then put him back on waivers in the final cut.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Either way, it’s equivalent to the minor level of interest or “peek” that is all it would take with Smith also. In fact, with so much of Training Camp left, there’s still time to take that peek and then put him back on waivers in the final cut.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the team that claims him would have to keep him the rest of the season (barring a trade which is a bit complicated too). I don't think you can waive him again even if it's preseason.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the team that claims him would have to keep him the rest of the season (barring a trade which is a bit complicated too). I don't think you can waive him again even if it's preseason.
I hereby correct you. Of course you can waive him again. I can't even remember where your version came in... it might have been back when there was a "waiver draft" a loooong time ago at the start of the season? I even had that kind of wording in my keeper FHL at one point IIRC. So I do believe it was a thing at some point in our past history of NHL nerddom, but I am not going to try to look it up! :) So you can disbelieve me if you want! :) But nowadays, you can claim and re-waive to your heart's content.

I think in a case like Ty Smith's... it's actually kind of an option that you could claim him now... re-waive him on the final day of camp cuts... and nobody else in the league would take him, because hey, a 2nd team just waived him, plus there are EVEN MORE interesting players available on waivers at the final cut. Then you might even get to keep him in the minors. If nobody else had wanted him in the first place.

But I will just also add that this is all "fantasy GM-speak". I am all-in on being a fantasy GM. But in the real world, with real people... I mean, our organization has just gone through camps with guys, the guys are stoked, the team spirit is there, the concept of jobs opening up is there for guys who didn't it make it this time around, everything is a very organically team-focused environment. I don't think you kick all that to the curb just because some guy who is kind of busting got waived on Day 1 by some other team. You don't push that guy to the front of the line ahead of guys you've been building that organizational repoire with. So I still can't see the Preds going this route with Smith, not in the real world. Or they'd have to have some super-positive pro scouting report on him, anyway. :dunno:

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Didn't realize Devin Cooley was with Buffalo now. He just got waived and sent to the AHL

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So who does everyone predict to win the cup this year? It really seems fairly wide open and there are a lot of teams I think have a legitimate shot, but most everyone has a pretty sizeable question mark. I'll go with the Oilers finally getting over the hump with Ekholm solidifying their defense. The goaltending is still a huge question mark with them though.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Wow the NHL went way over the top basically completely banning pride stuff. How do you go from basically forcing pride night to telling players they can’t even volunteer to tape their sticks? Who is running this shit show? I’ll buy the jersey of the first pred who shows up on the ice with a big f u to the league on their stick.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Wow the NHL went way over the top basically completely banning pride stuff. How do you go from basically forcing pride night to telling players they can’t even volunteer to tape their sticks? Who is running this shit show? I’ll buy the jersey of the first pred who shows up on the ice with a big f u to the league on their stick.

I doubt the players association was cool with players being put on the spot and the media backlash if they chose to not participate for whatever reason. League takes the heat this way instead of the individual players

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I doubt the players association was cool with players being put on the spot and the media backlash if they chose to not participate for whatever reason. League takes the heat this way instead of the individual players
They're not being part of the team. That's arguably a problem regardless. Kind of like how folks complained about Laine playing Fortnite in the early days, or players who would party late into the night and be late to practice the next day.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Regardless of how you feel about it, the NHL is seemingly trying to make sure this controversy lasts as long as possible. From a PR standpoint why the hell would you release this memo that is sure to get media attention on the opening night of the season.

Reactions: Kat Predator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad