Around the NHL 2024 - Offseason Moves

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Glad the NHL teams decided to go ahead and start making moves today despite the usual hesitancy to do so while the Finals are still going. It's the NHL's own fault for letting the schedule run this late. Game #6 isn't until Friday, the Draft is 1 week after that, and Free Agency just a few days later. Teams can't be expected to wait that long twiddling their thumbs.
:handclap:
Completely agree. It's ridiculous that if it goes 7 games they will be playing hockey on June 24.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
With the Kings and the Devils "solving" their goaltending issues, I would prepare for a Saros extension at $7.5-8M over 8 years.

The only two teams I could potentially see that changing are Columbus and Carolina. Otherwise, I think the ship to moving Saros this off-season has sailed.

Could see him moved at the trade deadline if there is no extension, but that's risky.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
With the Kings and the Devils "solving" their goaltending issues, I would prepare for a Saros extension at $7.5-8M over 8 years.

The only two teams I could potentially see that changing are Columbus and Carolina. Otherwise, I think the ship to moving Saros this off-season has sailed.

Could see him moved at the trade deadline if there is no extension, but that's risky.

With Askarov being traded

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

I still think Ottawa and possibly Toronto are also looking to fix their goaltending. LA... i kindof find it hard to believe that theyre going with Kuemper and Rittich as a tandem. Maybe they how Kuemper will swing back up with a strong defense infront of him like Talbot did. I think it isnt a good plan and the Talbot/Rittich duo didnt work out in the playoffs so i see this failing in much the same way even if Kuemper rebounds in the regular season

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I like Brossoit and Stolarz but if the GM of a team looking to win the cup signs a 30+ year old goalie that has never played more than 30 games in a single season expecting them to carry a starters load im going to have some serious questions.

Toronto might do that and run a split tandem with Woll.
Calgary would be another possibility and run 3 goalies through the season with Vladar and Wolf. Much the same way we could do if we traded saros... extend Lankinen and get another good backup level goalie and let Askarov have 20 or so games as well.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Completely agree. It's ridiculous that if it goes 7 games they will be playing hockey on June 24.

I'm sure ESPN played a part in this. The NBA Finals schedule was the same but Boston took care of it.
I saw something where if the SCF goes 7 it will be as long as the Olympics and if the NBA had gone 7 it would have been longer.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

If Trotz gives him that deal he needs to be run out of town. Saros has not done well enough in the playoffs for me to want to be saddled with him for 7-8 years.

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I like Brossoit and Stolarz but if the GM of a team looking to win the cup signs a 30+ year old goalie that has never played more than 30 games in a single season expecting them to carry a starters load im going to have some serious questions.

Toronto might do that and run a split tandem with Woll.
Calgary would be another possibility and run 3 goalies through the season with Vladar and Wolf. Much the same way we could do if we traded saros... extend Lankinen and get another good backup level goalie and let Askarov have 20 or so games as well.
I would expect it to be that very Woll/Brossoit tandem as Toronto's solution. Calgary is rebuilding, so they are fine just running Vladar and Wolf.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I have no idea who we would target from the Capitals but them having interest in Saros does make some sense if they want to load up for another crack before Ovi retires.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I have no idea who we would target from the Capitals but them having interest in Saros does make some sense if they want to load up for another crack before Ovi retires.
Sandin, Jensen and Strome are the top contracts they can dump. And they need to dump contracts.

[Ed: of course, someone with a N[MT]C might waive it to move to Music City.]

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
In this hypothetical if we are taking cap dumps from them then the offer has to start with Leonard and or Miroshnichenko

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Caps have about 13 million in space with Backstrom on LTIR. They could fit a Saros in there and still fill out their team. Not sure what i would want from them though... we have so many wing prospects and i dont see much else that gets me excited... but ryan leonard looks like a great prospect to add

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Caps have about 13 million in space with Backstrom on LTIR. They could fit a Saros in there and still fill out their team. Not sure what i would want from them though... we have so many wing prospects and i dont see much else that gets me excited... but ryan leonard looks like a great prospect to add

Here's what could be interesting/fun. Ovi is 41 goals from the goal record. And on the last year of his deal. lets say he scores 40 leaving the last 2 goals up for FA. He gets the record he's out, (we assume). But what if he does go to UFA with THAT record in his pocket.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Here's what could be interesting/fun. Ovi is 41 goals from the goal record. And on the last year of his deal. lets say he scores 40 leaving the last 2 goals up for FA. He gets the record he's out, (we assume). But what if he does go to UFA with THAT record in his pocket.
"Take the league minimum deal we offer or you'll never get the record." ;)

That can go both ways.

Reactions: Armourboy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Wow, Florida crapping the bed and just rolling in it. Only been 4 teams in NHL history to successfully come back and win down 3-0 and the Oilers have a dang good shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad