Around the NHL 2024/25

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
The story is just getting started in Nashville but the first chapter of the new book does suck…free agent frenzy is one of the worst days of the year to be a buyer (sunsetting assets for high prices)…….it competes with the trade deadline which is saying allot. Saros starting out with the .878 save % isn’t helping either.
Maybe they trade stamkos for Elias Pettersson. 2 goals in 27 games or something.

Reactions: ps241

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So Rutger was right abut the Jets but wrong at the same time about himself? :laugh: got a few nhl game cheques tho.

Reactions: sipowicz

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So Rutger was right abut the Jets but wrong at the same time about himself? :laugh: got a few nhl game cheques tho.

If he was looking for the fastest path to the NHL then Pittsburgh was the right call. I still think he may need time in the AHL but there is more room in the top 12 in Pitt.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I don't know whats better seeing Montreal lose or the Preds Lose. Probably the Preds. From Stanley cup contenders to chumps. They looked terrible last night, really slow and old. I thought they had a lot of young talent at one point and it looks like they dumped them in favor of over the hill vets. I can't believe Nyquist had 75 points last year guy looks finished. Stamkos looks lost. There D is atrocious without Josi on the ice.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Hellebuyck earns every year of that contract and gets another one after.

He has been remarkably healthy, takes great care of himself, and he relies on size and positioning more than pure athleticism and acrobatics.

We've seen several goalies stay effective into their 40s and I'd bet on Helle being one of those.
Which goalie has played at a top level in their 40s? Terry Sawchuk haha?

Lundqvist made it to 38 but should have quit a couple years sooner

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It's early but all those rebuild teams looking to make that step in Ottawa, Buffalo and Detroit off to awful starts yet again.
Sucks for their fans - underwent 5+ year burn it all down rebuilds to just end up as middle of the pack bubble teams.

Really makes me appreciate how we got the Scheif/Helle deals done upon reflection

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Why does Seattle keep playing Grubauer? I understand that he's in a platoon with Daccord, but I don't understand why.

There is definitely a wall in the upper 30s. Even goalies who were still starters when they got old by NHL standards (Luongo, Roy, Brodeur, Roloson, Thomas) hit a wall around 38.

Maybe Hasek?

It's a position where it becomes pretty glaring when you hit the point where your experience doesn't outweigh how much you've slowed down.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Brodeur and Hasek?

They're definitely the exceptions though. If Helle only drops off in the last years of his contract to the same extent that they did, I think I'd be happy

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
While rebuilds sounds like a good idea (I'm not a fan of it) ... what is the success rate?
All those teams are drafting good players so what is the problem?

No clue. To me rebuilds only seem to excel in desirable markets. Those markets can bring in the type of high end support pieces that help teach the young talent to win.

You can't really get those pieces easily in Buffalo, Ottawa and even Detroit. You see a similar cycle of rebuilding in Columbus as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingBogo

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
You see a similar cycle of rebuilding in Cumbus as well.

pardo-excuse-me.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Buffdog

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
No clue. To me rebuilds only seem to excel in desirable markets. Those markets can bring in the type of high end support pieces that help teach the young talent to win.

You can't really get those pieces easily in Buffalo, Ottawa and even Detroit. You see a similar cycle of rebuilding in Cumbus as well.
Locker room dynamics/culture seem to be a huge issue with rebuilds. All the failure rebuilds are in B class cities.

Original 6 and sunbelt cities (less Arizona) seem to do rebuilds well.

Reactions: Buffdog and surixon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Locker room dynamics/culture seem to be a huge issue with rebuilds. All the failure rebuilds are in B class cities.

Original 6 and sunbelt cities (less Arizona) seem to do rebuilds well.
Yeah, rebuilds by nature are smothered in a losing culture. It's very difficult to turn that around

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
The amount of butthurt about the WPG complex is again way too high people 😂
Winnipeg is like that asshole friend, people may not like him, but he is our asshole friend.

The Winnipeg complex doesn’t bother me, but McGroinstain does. F- that dude.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
While rebuilds sounds like a good idea (I'm not a fan of it) ... what is the success rate?
All those teams are drafting good players so what is the problem?

That is a good question. I am a fan of rebuilds - to a point. I think there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. But it is hard to pin down where they go wrong and what the right way is.

One mistake that I think I see is a lack of patience. As long as you are continuing to draft and develop superior players you are moving in the right direction. When you start trying to speed up the process by trading high value futures for proven 'now' players you risk just reversing the process. You need to win those trades. lose a couple, or even just break even and you end up having to restart the rebuild.

But I'm not certain that that explains a lot. It might just be anecdotal observation that wouldn't hold up to careful examination. Luck and timing also enter into it. Sabres have been guilty of losing patience and have had bad luck and bad timing. :laugh: Are they finally just a goalie away? Or are they just a collection of pretty good players but not a good team?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You can't really get those pieces easily in Buffalo, Ottawa and even Detroit. You see a similar cycle of rebuilding in Columbus as well.

That might be it. The failed or incomplete or endless rebuilds stand out. But all of the successful teams rebuilt at some point to get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad