Around the NHL 2024-25 regular season

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You can say “that contract will suck at the end” about any 29 year old UFA getting a massive contract.

That’s a superstar UFAs for ya.

The rumored offer was 11x8, so the 8th year should help keep the AAV down a little.

Soros got $61.92m (7.74x8) vs Hellebuyck’s $59.50m (8.5x7)

Yeah, over 10% of your cap for a goalie is tough, and you do have to pay the back-up too.

You have to think about salary cap allocation as (very roughly):
60% Forwards 30% Defense 10% Goalies

I say roughly because ideally you want spend more on your forwards. And you have to consider the realities of dead cap space too.

But if you have a superstar goalie, then you have to suck it up and pay the guy.

The Cap is projected to be ~96.5m in 2026-27.
11% 10.62m
12% 11.58m
13% 12.55m

I get why they don’t want to go over 11m for an 8 year deal.
I post something that touches on statistical analysis, the cap, relative merits of the goaltending position, quantum mechanics, and ethnic cooking and the best you can do is a few short paragraphs? I expected more from you. Literally, like maybe two or three pages of why the Shesterki contract will break all the known laws of science and fashion.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Grubauer in game 1, Korpisalo in game 2.

That's a hell of a one-two punch with worst goalies in the league doubleheader.

I don't see the Sharks on in the last game though. That would complete the worst goalies in the league trifecta and tripleheader.

Did Chicago sign Martin Jones? Maybe that's what happened there. I didn't hear anything about it though.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Anyone wanna start a new OOT scoreboard thread? I don't feel like doing it.

I was gonna bump the last one, but it was locked with the old season!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You can say “that contract will suck at the end” about any 29 year old UFA getting a massive contract.

That’s a superstar UFAs for ya.

The rumored offer was 11x8, so the 8th year should help keep the AAV down a little.

Soros got $61.92m (7.74x8) vs Hellebuyck’s $59.50m (8.5x7)

Yeah, over 10% of your cap for a goalie is tough, and you do have to pay the back-up too.

You have to think about salary cap allocation as (very roughly):
60% Forwards 30% Defense 10% Goalies

I say roughly because ideally you want spend more on your forwards. And you have to consider the realities of dead cap space too.

But if you have a superstar goalie, then you have to suck it up and pay the guy.

The Cap is projected to be ~96.5m in 2026-27.
11% 10.62m
12% 11.58m
13% 12.55m

I get why they don’t want to go over 11m for an 8 year deal.
Soros got much more. -5 hearts, billions of money, and many many souls.

I think 10% for the top goalie was some kind of norm some years before. And even more. We saw Bobrovskiy and Price deals. We saw it before. 6mil for 60 mil cap, 8 mil for 80 mil cap, etc

And Shestyorkin is much better goalie than Saros, like two levels better, and he is at least level above Hellebuyck. 12 mil still is way too much, but still - top goalie of the period. Number one. Numero uno. Nomer odin. So rags should suck it up like you said. Or any other team. Shestyorkin did something crazy and I think there would be a huge chance he could play 3 ECFs in three years if we would be not so lucky. In front of Jones, Trouba, Schneider, Miller etc. Some of them are okay defensemen in some situations, but they are not great defensive core at all.

I would prefer to not sign him. For 11 and definitely not for more. But he deserved it. So if rags don't want to spend so much money they can trade him. Or just leave him alone. I would like to see it.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
He’s 28 turning 29 at the end of December. At minimum you’d expect the first 4 or 5 years of an 8 year to be fine…which also matches up with their contention window. Who really cares about the latter years if they’re not going to be as good then anyway.
i always said this when people were/are afraid of giving out long term max deals. i dont really care about the back end of the contract as long as the player produces for the first x amount of it and increases the chances of winning. screw years 6-7-8

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I find it strange that the goalie market is so deflated despite there not being enough starter-level goaltenders to fill out the league.

this is very true average to me is good and they are hard enough to find. elite is even harder but yet they aren't paid as such.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Seattle is in such a strange position, they presumably have a lot of young talent filling in for the next 2+ seasons but no homegrown talent drafted in 2018 or whatever that will demand a massive contract.

If Daccord is even a 1B, it's a solid deal, but it is a pretty big risk to take.

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just taking a quick peek at next summer's UFA goalie market and it is kinda ugly, so it made sense for Ottawa to extend Ullmark although knee jerk thought is that 8.25 mil is a bit stiff.

For Ullmark, there probably weren't many plausible landing spots. Colorado/Vegas will be hunting for a new starter potentially, but both probably won't have the cap space for an expensive goalie.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Just taking a quick peek at next summer's UFA goalie market and it is kinda ugly, so it made sense for Ottawa to extend Ullmark although knee jerk thought is that 8.25 mil is a bit stiff.

For Ullmark, there probably weren't many plausible landing spots. Colorado/Vegas will be hunting for a new starter potentially, but both probably won't have the cap space for an expensive goalie.
ottawa is a place that is going to overpay for players to get them there long term though so its a fine deal.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That Daccord contract is beyond WTF?!

He’s in his late 20s and was basically an NHL rookie last season.

We’ve seen guys like him turn to dust in year two when they’re the age he is now, with the questionable results he had before last season. It’s entirely possible that contract is about $4 million overpayment before it even starts. Igor has gotta be looking at that and going “if Daccord is worth $5 million after one real year in the league at 27 years old, and Korpisalo is worth $4 million, maybe I really am worth $15 million?”.

That said, it’s still hilarious that Seattle turned to sack of shit and terribly washed up Grubauer for opening night, which cost them the game. Despite the fact that Daccord heavily outplayed him and usurped him last year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad