Around the NHL 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Shared experiences bring people together :dunno:

I’d be shocked if Kevin Hayes had a publicist or agent post that picture.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Mine was a short post. I just re-read it several times. Where did I tell him anything or say how he should grieve?

I said it was weird to ME. If he is grieving and it brings him a measure of comfort, more power to him. I just think it is strange...ME...my thought.

Its more a comment on the world we live in than Kevin Hayes. You have to make a meme of your dead friend otherwise your followers will think you are callous for not saying something about it on blast to the world. Sitting at a computer thinking, hmmm, what angle on the font captures my pain, instead of being with your loved ones. Strange TO ME. I wouldn't be surprised if his agent or publicist posted it. Cause that is the world we live in.
Maybe he's a traveled athlete that has loved ones in the hockey community all over the world? Maybe he wanted to share a heartfelt candid photo with fans to show a side of Johnny that not everyone got to see?

Maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't throw our own weird opinions about how people should emote less than 24-hours from a tragedy because it's not our place to judge how another person copes with loss when it's not hurting a single damn person.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Maybe he's a traveled athlete that has loved ones in the hockey community all over the world? Maybe he wanted to share a heartfelt candid photo with fans to show a side of Johnny that not everyone got to see?

Maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't throw our own weird opinions about how people should emote less than 24-hours from a tragedy because it's not our place to judge how another person copes with loss when it's not hurting a single damn person.

And that's fine if that's what he wants. But it's always 24-hours from a somebody's tragedy. They happen all the time. You judge people all the time. Maybe I'm 24-hours from a tragedy, and just didn't post it to the world.

Besides, I never judged him. I said social media is weird. Fame too. I never said Kevin Hayes was weird or anything negative about him. Weird isn't even a critique. Please march to the beat of a different drummer if that's the beat you truly hear

I've just never understood the parasocial relationships people have with celebrities where they know so much about them and have expectations they speak publicly about private things. Or even non-celebs and the desire to have 100s of friends/followers you don't know with whom you want to share personal things over the internet. It all rings so hollow.

When people heard Gaudreau died, they were hoping it wasn't him. Not thst nobody died, that it wasn't him. Never mind that would mean it was someone else. That death wouldn't matter though because that person wouldn't be famous, right?

The parasocial, online clout, wanting likes from strangers culture wasn't the case 10 years ago or whatever. Maybe I'm an old man yelling at the clouds, but that is a change I cannot wrap my brain around. Whether it's better or worse, who knows. Probably a lot of both.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Speaking of bad/dangerous driving, has anyone else noticed fewer and fewer people stoping at stop signs? Is this just some curmudgeonly revelation I have had?
Not exaggerating I see at least one person run a clear red light every day whenever I’m driving now. Always take a second look before going on your green.

Sometimes I really wonder how some people have a license with the reckless driving I see out there.

Reactions: joe galiba

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Not exaggerating I see at least one person run a clear red light every day whenever I’m driving now. Always take a second look before going on your green.

Sometimes I really wonder how some people have a license with the reckless driving I see out there.
We have a plague of people with expired temp tags. Some expired years ago. They are not paying taxes on the car and never will.

I suspect they also don't have insurance and never will.

These are not responsible drivers.

It's the Wild West of Reckless Morons out there. Be careful.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Jarvis signs 8 years with the Canes 8 years 63.2 mil, but due to some deffered payments the cap hit comes out to 7.5m per year

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
How many players are willing to take deferred compensation? The smart play for a player is front loading your contract so you can invest it a make more through compounding.
Jarvis is young so idk how much this impacts him, but I know Shohei Ohtani in the MLB took deferred money, and by the time he starts getting the BIG bucks he’ll be retired and not living in a high tax state. It’s smart from that angle.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
How many players are willing to take deferred compensation? The smart play for a player is front loading your contract so you can invest it a make more through compounding.
Depends how long the contract is, or rather how long the money is deferred. If you can move to a place with very low income tax, the difference can be enough to make it worthwhile. A wealthy team might offer a higher than otherwise salary in order to squeeze more out of their cap situation and make it worth the while of the player. I would think this may work best in Canadian markets.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Jarvis is young so idk how much this impacts him, but I know Shohei Ohtani in the MLB took deferred money, and by the time he starts getting the BIG bucks he’ll be retired and not living in a high tax state. It’s smart from that angle.
Depends how long the contract is, or rather how long the money is deferred. If you can move to a place with very low income tax, the difference can be enough to make it worthwhile. A wealthy team might offer a higher than otherwise salary in order to squeeze more out of their cap situation and make it worth the while of the player. I would think this may work best in Canadian markets.

That may make sense if you want to move to a low tax state. Not everyone does.

But it still is contingent on the income tax percentage (and the shielding strategies employed) and the return percentages. If your returns with compounding are higher than the difference between the current income tax rate and the future one, then the income tax doesn’t matter. It’s all a game of math if your moderately intelligent financially or employ someone that is knowledgeable in that regard (which someone making that much should have and likely much better ones than any of us can afford).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
FWIW, ChatGPT says that based on how the contract is structured, that deferred money in year 9 may not be subject (in full) to the 50/50 escrow - who knows, though.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
FWIW, ChatGPT says that based on how the contract is structured, that deferred money in year 9 may not be subject (in full) to the 50/50 escrow - who knows, though.
Perhaps. CBA expires well before then. Presumably new CBA will have escrow, but it may be different than current.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That may make sense if you want to move to a low tax state. Not everyone does.

But it still is contingent on the income tax percentage (and the shielding strategies employed) and the return percentages. If your returns with compounding are higher than the difference between the current income tax rate and the future one, then the income tax doesn’t matter. It’s all a game of math if your moderately intelligent financially or employ someone that is knowledgeable in that regard (which someone making that much should have and likely much better ones than any of us can afford).
I agree, which is why a team would have to offer more salary on the deferred contract than the non-deferred alternative. Make it worth the while of the player, but still in a way that frees additional cap space.

It’s not a panacea, and I think there is a good reason we don’t see it used that often.

Reactions: Celtic Note

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Salary that is deferred in this way will accrue interest according to the dailyfaceoff. Maybe a more actively managed portfolio could gain more than whatever interest the deferred salary would accrue, but there are all sorts of fees and risk that come with that.

None of us know the specifics enough to really say 100% what’s the best call, but it’s not as cut and dry as you’re saying here. All we really know for certain is that Jarvis, his reps, the NHLPA, and the league all found the trade off acceptable in this instance.

From the article:

Of course, there is risk here. This type of contract structure requires understanding from Jarvis and his agent, Gerry Johannson of Edmonton-based The Sports Corportation, on a varying number of topics including investment vehicles, tax structures and elements, plus a healthy risk profile on things such as escrow rates, the possibility of a buyout or trade that could change every calculation. So, this was a mature conversation that evolved over the last two months to the point where everyone is comfortable, and Johannson and the NHLPA believe this is good for Jarvis – not just the Hurricanes. This deal was the brainchild of GM Eric Tulsky and his staff, which includes Darren Yorke, Aaron Schwartz and now Tyler Dellow, and there is risk for Carolina too, but it can be minimized or eliminated with returns on investment of the deferred money.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad