Around the NHL 2024-2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Rest in peace to the Gaudreau Brothers. Rest in peace to the statistically 35 others who died from drunk drivers yesterday, or the 13,000 people last year. In less than a year and a half, the average attendance of a Blues game is killed by drunk drivers.

Hopefully, the high profile nature of this death will deter others from drinking and driving. But this is only a tragedy due to his fame. Pretty much every hour of every day someone dies from a drunk driver in this country, statistically around 37 families lives destroyed every day. Any other day most people don't care.
I think the word you meant to use was "newsworthy"...it's only newsworthy because of his fame but of course it's a f****n tragedy.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Speaking of bad/dangerous driving, has anyone else noticed fewer and fewer people stoping at stop signs? Is this just some curmudgeonly revelation I have had?

Reactions: Renard and mk80

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Speaking of bad/dangerous driving, has anyone else noticed fewer and fewer people stoping at stop signs? Is this just some curmudgeonly revelation I have had?
Nope
its a real thing
I just went to grab lunch, got stopped at 5 or 6 stop lights and every single one had someone running the light after MY LIGHT HAD TURNED GREEN, so they weren't just going through at the last moment, it was AFTER the delay too
and I almost saw a fist fight cause someone couldn't be bothered to stop at the light, they pulled out into the intersection and blocked an exit ramp

Reactions: stlwahoo

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I am so goddamned angry beyond words and in tears. This is one of the many, many reasons why I loathe drunk drivers beyond anything else. This is the reason why I hated the MacTavish hiring. This is the reason why I want Kapanen long gone. This is the reason why I never really accepted Ryan O'Reilly and was happy we got what we got for him. I don't care if it's barely at the limit or higher; you should not be on the road after consuming alcohol. Period. Full stop. End. Fin. Null.

And don't give me that f***ing crap about "manslaughter". If you're willing to go on the f***ing road after slamming shot after shot, you better be f***ing willing to accept every consequence that comes with it - start charging those motherf***ers with second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder. No mercy. They obviously don't have any mercy or care for everyone else on the road, so why should they get any?

Rest in peace and paradise, Johnny and Matthew. Utmost condolences to their family which...fate, I wouldn't wish on anyone. This is...fate, I don't have any words. Just tears.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I see this all the time when walking my dogs. I ALWAYS let cars go first now and quickly sprint across streets. So many SHITTY drivers out there, seems like they hand out licenses like candy now. Texting while driving should be as frowned upon as drunk driving too. I'd give anyone who commits these actions severe penalties and if they harm anyone else while doing it, I'd lock them up.

About 8 years ago my dog and I were almost hit by a drunk driver on a walk. Luckily, I heard his car coming (I was listening to a podcast) and saw headlights coming since it was at night. He skidded across the street, bumped into a car on the opposite side of the street then starting coming to the otherside of the road onto the sidewalk and plowed over a mailbox. I could still smell the tires burning afterwards and saw the tiremarks the next day on the sidewalk. Anyways, I quickly ran up towards someones house and we dodged it by decent margin but it was still pretty scary thinking if I was just a minute faster on my walk, probably would have gotten hit.

• Wow
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
And don't give me that f***ing crap about "manslaughter". If you're willing to go on the f***ing road after slamming shot after shot, you better be f***ing willing to accept every consequence that comes with it - start charging those motherf***ers with second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder. No mercy. They obviously don't have any mercy or care for everyone else on the road, so why should they get any?

I think you may have miss spoke and meant 1st degree and not 2nd degree. IMO the moment you get into a vehicle after drinking anything that happens after should be classified as premeditated.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
68% of traffic deaths in 2022 DID NOT involve alcohol, I would hazard a guess that many of the people involved in drinking and driving fatalities drove just as shitty when sober
driving while impaired is a (sizable) subset of a bigger issue
Alcohol fatalities comprising about a third of all road fatalities is a massive overrepresentation compared to the percentage of people on the road who are under the influence.

People under the influence of alcohol don't make up anything close to 32% of the drivers on the road. The total miles driven by people under the influence of alcohol is far less than 32% of the total miles driven by the general population. The total time driven by people under the influence of alcohol is far less than the total minutes driven by the general population.

Being under the influence of alcohol isn't the only way to be a danger behind the wheel, but it dramatically increases how much of a danger someone is. Alcohol consumption slows reaction time, impairs a person's ability to focus and divide attention, impair motor functioning, decreases vision (different people have different responses, but the most common is blurred and/or double vision). Alcohol consumption simultaneously increases a person's willingness to take a risk. Alcohol dramatically decreases your driving ability compared to your baseline while simultaneously increasing your willingness to drive aggressively. And that's before we start talking about how much more likely you are to pass out at the wheel if you are under the influence,.

There are shitty and aggressive drivers who get even worse when you pour alcohol into the mix. But there are also a massive amount of otherwise good drivers who become huge dangers when they add alcohol to the mix.

I don't know whether this guy was under the influence and I don't know whether he is 'usually' a good driver or not. It seems clear from the reports so far that he was engaging in horrifically reckless driving last night and 2 young men are dead because of it. We don't need to minimize just how much more dangerous alcohol makes people behind the wheel though.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Alcohol fatalities comprising about a third of all road fatalities is a massive overrepresentation compared to the percentage of people on the road who are under the influence.

People under the influence of alcohol don't make up anything close to 32% of the drivers on the road. The total miles driven by people under the influence of alcohol is far less than 32% of the total miles driven by the general population. The total time driven by people under the influence of alcohol is far less than the total minutes driven by the general population.

Being under the influence of alcohol isn't the only way to be a danger behind the wheel, but it dramatically increases how much of a danger someone is. Alcohol consumption slows reaction time, impairs a person's ability to focus and divide attention, impair motor functioning, decreases vision (different people have different responses, but the most common is blurred and/or double vision). Alcohol consumption simultaneously increases a person's willingness to take a risk. Alcohol dramatically decreases your driving ability compared to your baseline while simultaneously increasing your willingness to drive aggressively. And that's before we start talking about how much more likely you are to pass out at the wheel if you are under the influence,.

There are shitty and aggressive drivers who get even worse when you pour alcohol into the mix. But there are also a massive amount of otherwise good drivers who become huge dangers when they add alcohol to the mix.

I don't know whether this guy was under the influence and I don't know whether he is 'usually' a good driver or not. It seems clear from the reports so far that he was engaging in horrifically reckless driving last night and 2 young men are dead because of it. We don't need to minimize just how much more dangerous alcohol makes people behind the wheel though.
I am in no way trying to minimize it, just pointing out that it is part of the bigger problem of reckless driving as a whole, if it turns out that he wasn't under the influence it makes the outcome no less horrific and it makes his actions no more and no less inexcusable

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I think you may have miss spoke and meant 1st degree and not 2nd degree. IMO the moment you get into a vehicle after drinking anything that happens after should be classified as premeditated.

I did not misspeak. Second-degree is intent, but not planned and premediated intent (if I'm correct in my legalese). You'll never get a drunk driver on first-degree murder or attempted first-degree murder, sad to say.

But second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder? When you intend to drive on the road after getting drunk? Absolutely, you could see it.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I am in no way trying to minimize it, just pointing out that it is part of the bigger problem of reckless driving as a whole, if it turns out that he wasn't under the influence it makes the outcome no less horrific and it makes his actions no more and no less inexcusable
After reading a couple of articles, it looks like the police report claims that he told officers he had 5 or 6 beers before driving. There will almost certainly be a blood draw. That's pretty universally the test of choice when there is a fatality and if he refused there is more than enough probable cause for officers to have gotten a warrant for one if that jurisdiction needs them to.

Agreed that this doesn't change anything about the outcome or degree of tragedy.

Reactions: eibyyz

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Saw the news this morning. I can’t even imagine…

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Also...I hate to get personal with this...but the whole thing - every drunk driving casualty - reminds me of my friend's death. Like Johnny Hockey and Matthew, like Khyree Jackson (Vikings rookie cornerback), Isaiah Hazel, and Anthony Lytton Jr. (Khyree's two young friends), like so many victims of drunk drivers...Rae did nothing wrong.

As a matter of fact, Rae only ever did the right thing. She was a mother of three young children, and when I was an asshole as a teenager (and yeah, I'm ashamed of a lot of the things I did as an asshole teen) on Fanfiction.net, my first real social site, she was patient with me, tried to help me out and see what I was too blind to see at the time, tried to shine a positive ray of light on everyone, no matter who they were.

And all of it...taken away cruelly by a bastard who had multiple DUIs, was driving hammered on a suspended license, ran a red light, and hit her car dead on. Three children no longer had their Mom. Her family no longer had their daughter. Her friends could never talk to her again. And the worst part was that that...monster was never convicted. Released on a technicality from what I heard.

Rae's death...broke me. She was the first close friend I ever lost to death in my life other than my dog, and to say it hurt barely scratches the surface - and I know my pain is nothing compared to how her family felt. I was bawling in my dad's arms the second after I heard the news. Honestly, her death may have even driven me to do worse things online than I already did, now that I didn't have anyone being patient with me and telling me what I was doing was wrong and how to better myself in a positive, non-judgmental way.

I can't take back those things. I can't tell Rae or anyone else I hurt how sorry I truly am. But I can honor her memory. Part of that? Talk about how drunk driving ruins lives on every thread of drunk driving, hoping that anyone who thinks that it's not a big deal...can see how much it hurts. Part of that? Tell people how good a person she was, how I am trying, trying, trying to live up to her standards, no matter how impossible it may seem. Never forget her name, her words, her kindness.

That's why I've reacted the way I have on those various threads about drunk driving, about players, coaches, managers, all sorts of people who have drunk driving on their record. There are millions of people in this country who have been and will be affected by some f***stick who decides that driving drunk is worth any consequences that might - or might not - be dealt out to others. Drunk drivers aren't immune to their own f***ups either; just ask Josh Hancock or Oscar Taveras or the hundreds of drunk drivers who kill themselves on the road.

Just...I'm sorry for rambling.

Last edited:

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
And he had an open container in the car according to the ESPN article. What a scumbag and such a senseless act that will affect so many lives. Ugh.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I don't usually get too emotional over people I've never met dying, but this one is hitting hard. Johnny Hockey was the little guy that proved everyone wrong. You could argue that he's one of, if not the driving force behind, teams being far more willing to take a chance on a smaller guy with a ton of skill then before. The fact that it happened on the eve of his sister's wedding, while having two kids under two, and with his brother, who's wife is also pregnant, doing something as harmless as riding a bike.....this all really f***ing sucks. His entire family must be shattered. And it all could have been avoided if some f***ing dumbass had just chilled the f*** out and worked on getting home safe instead of trying to blaze past a car. What a f***ing tragedy.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Tragic

Drunk drivers can rot in hell

But everyday coming come from work I see some insane shit on I-170 going south. It's usually young men driving like they are playing Grand Theft Auto in real life. Do your part....slow the f@ck down and realize that we are all out here trying to live our lives. Don't risk the lives of others just so you can get to your destination just a few minutes faster.

And get off that damn cellphone of yours and pay attention. That's as bad as being drunk behind the wheel.

Thanks,

Pissed off guy old guy who loves his family who is getting tired of watching dumbasses on the road.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
1000004428.jpg

Kevin Hayes IG

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
What's weirder is trying to tell someone else how they should grieve when they just lost one of their best friends.
Mine was a short post. I just re-read it several times. Where did I tell him anything or say how he should grieve?

I said it was weird to ME. If he is grieving and it brings him a measure of comfort, more power to him. I just think it is strange...ME...my thought.

Its more a comment on the world we live in than Kevin Hayes. You have to make a meme of your dead friend otherwise your followers will think you are callous for not saying something about it on blast to the world. Sitting at a computer thinking, hmmm, what angle on the font captures my pain, instead of being with your loved ones. Strange TO ME. I wouldn't be surprised if his agent or publicist posted it. Cause that is the world we live in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad