Around the NHL 2023-24 - Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Shesterkin will take a slight discount for New York. He will still get paid well, and it will be a huge cap hit, but it won't be what his actual value is.

He's in my opinion the best goalie in the league (at least he's top 3 for sure). He should be re-setting the market. He might, but it won't be by much.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Shesterkin will take a slight discount for New York. He will still get paid well, and it will be a huge cap hit, but it won't be what his actual value is.

He's in my opinion the best goalie in the league (at least he's top 3 for sure). He should be re-setting the market. He might, but it won't be by much.
knowing the rangers' history, i don't even think it'll be slight. when rangers players see the big lights of broadway dancing off puddles of rat piss in the streets, they fall in love for some reason.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
What the hell is with this schedule, is this the NFL? I completely forgot about the Finals and it isn’t until Saturday, holy shit.

Apparently this is an ESPN thing, I guess they’re working around the NBA Finals.

Reactions: JK3

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What the hell is with this schedule, is this the NFL? I completely forgot about the Finals and it isn’t until Saturday, holy shit.

Apparently this is an ESPN thing, I guess they’re working around the NBA Finals.
The NBA had a week long break too.

It's unlike the NFL in that the NFL has a set venue and a date set months in advance. The NBA and NHL are TBD on both fronts, so they need to allow a certain amount of time for teams and media to make arrangements.

A week is too long, but it's unreasonable to be 3 days.

Reactions: JK3

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

He's in my opinion the best goalie in the league
(at least he's top 3 for sure). He should be re-setting the market. He might, but it won't be by much.
I don't really think there is a debate.

Interestingly Price and Bob are still #1 and 2 at $10.5 and $10 respectively. And in those two contracts we can see how a huge contract to a goalie can go horribly wrong, but also how it can work out pretty well. I was surprised to see Helle's signed for "only" $8.5.

So I think Shesterkin tops that chart, and comes in at $11 per.

Reactions: Nubmer6

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
What in the world is wrong with Trouba that he had to post this? Even if he's struggling mentally right now or this season, he has to realize that a lot of the hockey-related suicides are in people who suffered from concussions and CTE. I.e. something his and Rempe's elbows are contributing to.

Reactions: Bleedred

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
What in the world is wrong with Trouba that he had to post this? Even if he's struggling mentally right now or this season, he has to realize that a lot of the hockey-related suicides are in people who suffered from concussions and CTE. I.e. something his and Rempe's elbows are contributing to.
That’s definitely odd.

Basically, talking negatively to Trouba in some way threatens his life but Trouba is also comfortable illegally hitting people’s heads.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is this about his mental health? Or, like those commercials with his mom, him just being more involved with promoting health to people?

Granted the whole flying elbow thing is a bad look.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Is this about his mental health? Or, like those commercials with his mom, him just being more involved with promoting health to people?

Granted the whole flying elbow thing is a bad look.
He tweeted that in response to a podcaster recording a video criticizing his play ("Is Jacob Trouba the worst captain in the NHL?")

Reactions: devilsblood

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Meh.

I hate Trouba. I think he tries to injure people. I think others try to injure people too.

Bad people can also do good things. Good people can do bad things. I'm not sure which boat he's in. If he's earnestly trying to get a good message out there - then i'll leave him alone.

Though I do see the irony given his on-ice actions.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He tweeted that in response to a podcaster recording a video criticizing his play ("Is Jacob Trouba the worst captain in the NHL?")

Beyond soft from Trouba and this is coming from someone who's had seizure issues. The guy on SC wasn't demeaning his wife or his charity, he's just saying that the guy should know better than the average NHLer not to go run at peoples's heads nightly
So this was in response to someone criticizing his poor play, or his flying elbows to the head?

Does sound like he looks like a yutz either way. Especially if he doesn't battle with mental health issues.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Meh.

I hate Trouba. I think he tries to injure people. I think others try to injure people too.

Bad people can also do good things. Good people can do bad things. I'm not sure which boat he's in. If he's earnestly trying to get a good message out there - then i'll leave him alone.

Though I do see the irony given his on-ice actions.

My issue with Trouba doing it now is that he's doing it after a Cup run where he blatantly was selling games for NYR, part of me thinks he's wrestling with that fact in his head which is making him upset and lashing out randomly. Nothing the dude on SC said was demeaning, saying that he should know better about the dangers of head injuries with this charity work he does + his wife being a doctor is not the insult people are making it out to be. He also wasn't this guy in Winnipeg either, he changed his game because he wants to prove that he's worth the 8M deal. Instead of trying to maiming guys on the blue line, just do the things that made you get to the NHL. You don't need to be Scott Stevens in 2024 (which btw isn't a good thing in today's NHL and every Devils fan who isn't a homer would admit the same)

Reactions: Guttersniped

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
So this was in response to someone criticizing his poor play, or his flying elbows to the head?

Does sound like he looks like a yutz either way. Especially if he doesn't battle with mental health issues.

All he said was that Trouba shouldn't be flying around with his elbow because him and his wife do charity work with people with epilepsy and that CTE and those issues correlate+ his wife works in the neuroscience field. People are just making it a bigger deal than it is because Trouba responded.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

Its completely tone deaf.

He's mentioning college athletes and comparing suicide rates to the media's criticism about their play. The media only covers a very small percentage of college sports and the media only bothers to criticize those guys during the NFL and NBA drafts. The two are completely unrelated and an insult to whatever is causing college athlete suicides.

He then specifically mentions the golf player that died a couple weeks ago and tries to attach the media's criticism to his suicide. Quick look at wikipedia (maybe not true?) suggests he's had problems since 2014, well before the media would even know who he is. He also had these issues while leading a tournament so again, very unlikely due to media criticizing him. Again, an insult to the problems he was really going through.

At no point did Trouba associate himself to any issues. He has the platform to be able to do so if that was the case and he really wanted to.

People really hate anyone who minimizes mental health issues for selfish reasons or manipulates something to their advantage by bringing up the topic.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Let's not forget he literally concussed Sidney Crosby (a guy who's had a documented concussion history and purposely picked his head in a playoff series) + Seth Jarvis the same playoff run. But he didn't have an issue with it in 2022 when the Rags were winning series off of those hits. Suddenly it's an issue that it's being brought up......

Its completely tone deaf.

He's mentioning college athletes and comparing suicide rates to the media's criticism about their play. The media only covers a very small percentage of college sports and the media only bothers to criticize those guys during the NFL and NBA drafts. The two are completely unrelated and an insult to whatever is causing college athlete suicides.

He then specifically mentions the golf player that died a couple weeks ago and tries to attach the media's criticism to his suicide. Quick look at wikipedia (maybe not true?) suggests he's had problems since 2014, well before the media would even know who he is. He also had these issues while leading a tournament so again, very unlikely due to media criticizing him. Again, an insult to the problems he was really going through.

At no point did Trouba associate himself to any issues. He has the platform to be able to do so if that was the case and he really wanted to.

People really hate anyone who minimizes mental health issues for selfish reasons or manipulates something to their advantage by bringing up the topic.

Yeah I'm split there, I think his message is a good one but I don't think he had to bring up that golfer that just passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad