Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

a trophy for the ages, or is it a lifetime?

the press in the NY times was a good laugh and waaay to f***ing long for a bullshit trophy.....talk about sucking off the masses and hype of '08

///

now pose for posterity! it's a powerplay goal!! :scared:

f***ing clowns of amusement.

this quote from the article is best repeated.

"The Mysterious Benjamins: The rumored $100,000 reward per player supposedly promised to the Magnitka players became a point that the Rangers announcers Al Trautwig and Joe Micheletti mentioned before the puck dropped and could not avoid repeating numerous times during their telecast on MSG, tacking on cryptic references to mysterious black bags of cash the Metallurg execs supposedly carried with them. They also said it would be a motivating factor for the Rangers."

Screen Shot 2024-08-14 at 12.07.35 AM.png

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I had to look up if Sam was older or younger than Doc. I knew they were pretty nearly the same age. Doc is a year older than Sam (both are born in August) and will have retired 4 years prior.

Now, Gary Thorne is a year younger than Sam, so there's still more than enough time left in this offseason to start up the annual ''Gary Thorne needs to return to the Devils PBP'' discussion!:sarcasm:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I had to look up if Sam was older or younger than Doc. I knew they were pretty nearly the same age. Doc is a year older than Sam (both are born in August) and will have retired 4 years prior.

Now, Gary Thorne is a year younger than Sam, so there's still more than enough time left in this offseason to start up the annual ''Gary Thorne needs to return to the Devils PBP'' discussion!:sarcasm:

the difference is that rosen is a slobbering corpse

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Thorne was great back in the day but Bill is doing a great job in my view

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

its criminal gary never got back into hockey broadcasting like espn. gary > doc imo

Reactions: mdj12784

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm actually surprised Gary never got back into broadcasting period after being let go by the Orioles, he's only done a handful of guest P-by-P appearances on Met games the last couple years but I guess it's tough for an older broadcaster if they're not entrenched in a job. Bob Uecker's still kicking around with the Brewers and he's literally almost ninety, but he's been there forever and is a local institution so it's a bit messy if you tell him to take a hike.

Gary's not better than Doc in terms of hockey but you can argue he had a better voice, and definitely could capture a big moment too. He was better with baseball where you didn't have so many European names to remember and the action wasn't as fast...some of his mispronunciations on ESPN like Tever-dor-sky made my ears bleed. And he fubared the Game 7 Ottawa Friesen goal call that same year too.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm actually not surprised Thorne never got back into it. Only because of how old he is. Some of these guys do this well into their 70s or even 80s (I think Vin Scully went into his 90s), but some are done even before that.

I don't think ESPN brought his partner Bill Clement back either. And I think he still works for the Flyers on their broadcasts, so it isn't like he's retired now. Both are well into their 70s now.

Reactions: My3Sons

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm actually surprised Gary never got back into broadcasting period after being let go by the Orioles, he's only done a handful of guest P-by-P appearances on Met games the last couple years but I guess it's tough for an older broadcaster if they're not entrenched in a job. Bob Uecker's still kicking around with the Brewers and he's literally almost ninety, but he's been there forever and is a local institution so it's a bit messy if you tell him to take a hike.

Gary's not better than Doc in terms of hockey but you can argue he had a better voice, and definitely could capture a big moment too. He was better with baseball where you didn't have so many European names to remember and the action wasn't as fast...some of his mispronunciations on ESPN like Tever-dor-sky made my ears bleed. And he fubared the Game 7 Ottawa Friesen goal call that same year too.

"SCORE! ....NO...NO! THE LIGHT HAS NOT COME ON, THE GOAL COUNTS......."

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Oh god, I didn't even realize Bob Uecker was still alive, let alone still calling games lol.

For what it's worth, Gary Thorne has very little experience calling hockey since 2004. When Bob Miller (who probably came close to 80 and still called games) was ill for a couple of months back in in like 2016 or 2017, the Kings had several fill ins for him for stretches of games.

Gary Thorne was a fill-in for one of those stretches.

I think Gary Thorne is probably always gonna be more known and remembered for a baseball PBP voice than a hockey PBP voice.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I'm actually not surprised Thorne never got back into it. Only because of how old he is. Some of these guys do this well into their 70s or even 80s (I think Vin Scully went into his 90s), but some are done even before that.

I don't think ESPN brought his partner Bill Clement back either. And I think he still works for the Flyers on their broadcasts, so it isn't like he's retired now. Both are well into their 70s now.

I was watching a replay of the '89 Cup Final, Calgary/Montreal and on the post-game clubhouse celebration I see this guy interviewing someone and I'm thinking "who is that, I know him but ....". Saw the name in your post and realized it was Clement. Thanks for channeling that info forward LOL!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh god, I didn't even realize Bob Uecker was still alive, let alone still calling games lol.

For what it's worth, Gary Thorne has very little experience calling hockey since 2004. When Bob Miller (who probably came close to 80 and still called games) was ill for a couple of months back in in like 2016 or 2017, the Kings had several fill ins for him for stretches of games.

Gary Thorne was a fill-in for one of those stretches.

I think Gary Thorne is probably always gonna be more known and remembered for a baseball PBP voice than a hockey PBP voice.
Sort of related I just saw this too lolz

I saw that when I was looking for this clip which was fairly recent and went semi-viral

My3Sons

Sponsor
Thorne was the king of not knowing what the hell was going on. And saying things like "it's cleared, but not out". He did have a good voice though. But he was undoubtedly inferior to Doc when it came to hockey broadcasting.
The styles contrasted so much. Thorne yelled and tried to bring excitement to every play. Doc was always cool calm and collected. On some level listening to them was apples and oranges.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The styles contrasted so much. Thorne yelled and tried to bring excitement to every play. Doc was always cool calm and collected. On some level listening to them was apples and oranges.

I liked Doc because the level of excitement in his voice rose and fell organically with the intensity of the action on the ice. Even if you weren't watching the video, you could always tell when something interesting was happening.

He was also a great innovator with his signature phrases ("waffleboarded", "flexed along", "burrows in", etc.) in a way that felt both familiar and fresh. Unique, without being overly corny. It's a hard balance to strike, but he did it.

Whereas Thorne tried to force it by yelling at inappropriate times, and couldn't pronounce any but the most generic names. His voice was good, but Doc's overall call was miles better.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I liked Doc because the level of excitement in his voice rose and fell organically with the intensity of the action on the ice. Even if you weren't watching the video, you could always tell when something interesting was happening.

He was also a great innovator with his signature phrases ("waffleboarded", "flexed along", "burrows in", etc.) in a way that felt both familiar and fresh. Unique, without being overly corny. It's a hard balance to strike, but he did it.

Whereas Thorne tried to force it by yelling at inappropriate times, and couldn't pronounce any but the most generic names. His voice was good, but Doc's overall call was miles better.
In my youth I enjoyed Gary's enthusiasm. I'm sure if he was doing the call now I'd find it over the top and a bit cringeworthy. I always enjoyed Doc's calls. Overall we've been blessed with who we have had calling games.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad