Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I wonder if the Devils could get in on this now that they have Yegorov.

Perhaps Yegorov + Allen (50% retained) + Vilen (or Misyul, Karpovich, etc.) could work? Nashville fans have said don't need wings, and I don't think Trotz is looking for smaller D-men.

Eh, even reading that myself it seems unlikely. Preds probably want quality not quantity. Though, they'd upgrade on Wedgewood for this year, get a goalie for the future who is four years younger than Askarov (so fits timeline better), and could pick up a D prospect.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Askarov is 22 and in the final year of his ELC so I doubt it’s the contract. More likely just old school hockey thinking that an older Wedgewood has to be better than some snot nosed kid.
They probably want him to play more games than he would as a backup, although backups these days tend to play more than in years past so it's not like he'd be sitting for long periods of time.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Perhaps Yegorov + Allen (50% retained) + Vilen (or Misyul, Karpovich, etc.) could work? Nashville fans have said don't need wings, and I don't think Trotz is looking for smaller D-men.

Eh, even reading that myself it seems unlikely. Preds probably want quality not quantity. Though, they'd upgrade on Wedgewood for this year, get a goalie for the future who is four years younger than Askarov (so fits timeline better), and could pick up a D prospect.
With Nashville wanting to win now I think their best path is using Askarov with a player on their roster to get a better version of their player with a more efficient contract from a non-competitive team.

I don’t think the difference in roster player will be significant but that is how to help themselves out in the near team with Askarov.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
With Nashville wanting to win now I think their best path is using Askarov with a player on their roster to get a better version of their player with a more efficient contract from a non-competitive team.

I don’t think the difference in roster player will be significant but that is how to help themselves out in the near team with Askarov.
I think that could make sense, but at this point I assume Nashville would have to make that trade with someone rebuilding. I don't see how a playoff team (or one with playoff aspirations) downgrades their roster at this point.

Maybe you could pry something out of Edmonton since they're in a cap crunch? But, Edmonton can't take salary back and Nashville only has $3 million in cap space. And unclear who other than Edmonton's high end guys Nashville might want.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if i remember correct allen didnt want to come to nj initally because playing time concern and fitz had to "convince" him. so i really dont see him then turning around and shipping him to nashville esp when i just listened to him on the radio praising markstrom for waiving his ntc and how much that meant to fitz.

imo hes not going to get involved with a unknown goalie when he was sunk by two unknown goalies last playoffs and last season.

for the record too i am completely fine with how the summer turned out for goalies. i'm reading a lot of stuff on twitter about regret getting markstrom and should've waited and all that. even if this kid came out before the devils traded for markstrom i would've rather went markstrom

Last edited:
Reactions: Comparison Ford

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
if i remember correct allen didnt want to come to nj initally because playing time concern and fitz had to "convince" him. so i really dont see him then turning around and shipping him to nashville esp when i just listened to him on the radio praising markstrom for waiving his ntc and how much that meant to fitz.

imo hes not going to get involved with a unknown goalie when he was sunk by two unknown goalies last playoffs and last season.

for the record too i am completely fine with how the summer turned out for goalies. i'm reading a lot of stuff on twitter about regret getting markstrom and should've waited and all that. even if this kid came out before the devils traded for markstrom i would've rather went markstrom
I agree. I don't think Askarov and Markstrom are on the same timeline.

But, Allen is only signed for a year. Marskstrom is signed for two years. I think the window for this team is just opening. I think Markstrom gets them into the playoffs this year, regardless of who the back-up is (assuming Markstrom plays 45 - 50 games). I think 25-26 is when they should start to be real cup contenders.

Everyone has been thinking Daws is might be the guy in two years. Or maybe Poulter. Or maybe Malek. Poulter is actually just 9 months older than Askarov and had similar AHL stats (though fewer games played). Personally, I'd rather roll the dice on Askarov - even though Grosenick took over as #1G for Milwaukee in the playoffs.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
There's nothing realistic for us to go for Askarov right now. And that's OK.

Markstrom/Allen is the tandem for the season. I have a tough time assuming Askarov has any desire to come here where he would be in the AHL again if that's a sticking point in Nashville. While there's a clearer, short-term path to the NHL here, I don't think there's any intention to move Allen after what he discussed last year when he was brought in. It also would be a really shitty optic for future player deals.

This is the most proven goalie tandem we've had in a long time. If we still had an opening at the position, I'd be all for it. But we don't. Not this offseason anymore, anyway.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They could always waive Wedgewood (not like that hasn’t happened before) and keep Askarov as their backup for the season.

I’m kind of surprised they don’t have him as the backup for this year, unless the rationale is to further develop him. There’s a good chance Saros doesn’t play out his contract there, be it by way of trade, buyout or LTIR. But there’s also a really good chance that he’ll be there for several more years or even longer. And his new contract doesn’t even kick in until 2025-2026.

So there’s a good chance Askarov is waiting around as the backup until he’s 26-30 years old if he stays there.

It’s interesting how Tampa is fine with a really bad veteran like Johansson (who just came off the first season where he spent the entirety of in the NHL at like 28 years old) as their backup for cap reasons, but especially since they have a goalie that will play a ton of games. And then a team like Nashville won’t have Askarov as the (league minimum) backup, despite the fact their starter will play a ton of games.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I wonder if NJ was even interested in Askarov before trading for Markstrom, they probably wanted a high floor veteran given if NJ misses the playoffs this year heads roll. I don't see anyway to make Askarov a Devil realistically baring an insane overpayment.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
its all about timing ideally you draft a goalie like that a couple years before saros is due his big time contract. hes in the minors x years backups up another and then you can trust him to hand off and trade away saros. which to me looks like what the devils did this draft with a longer path though

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think this is fair. I know Ceci has been a bit of a punchline, but I really don't watch teams outside of the Devils all that closely and a defender that gets 20 minutes a night (even if that's far from ideal) on a Cup Final team still has to have some value I'd think. I am probably overestimating his value based on minutes, but Friedman also did say on his quick hit 32 Thoughts podcast that Ceci is a player Edmonton did not want to have to trade away.

Edmonton seemed to do OK in the deal - brought back a younger, cheaper defenseman and only had to give up a 3rd round pick.

I don't think Grier is a good GM and he probably could've gotten a little more in return. Crazy that a rebuilding team like the Sharks already has all 3 retained slots taken up for the upcoming season.
Ceci is not what you want playing 20 minutes a night trying to contend, but he isn't bad.

He's arguably the 2nd best rental RD this year, behind Larsson.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The ship has sailed on Askarov. If we didn't have Markstrom I would have happily given up 1st 2025 + Casey and have him come in to compete with Allen, but whats done is done.

Trotz 100% should have seen this coming and gotten in front of it. Most of the teams that needed goaltending heading into this season have already addressed it in some form or another.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
They could always waive Wedgewood (not like that hasn’t happened before) and keep Askarov as their backup for the season.

I’m kind of surprised they don’t have him as the backup for this year, unless the rationale is to further develop him. There’s a good chance Saros doesn’t play out his contract there, be it by way of trade, buyout or LTIR. But there’s also a really good chance that he’ll be there for several more years or even longer. And his new contract doesn’t even kick in until 2025-2026.

So there’s a good chance Askarov is waiting around as the backup until he’s 26-30 years old if he stays there.

It’s interesting how Tampa is fine with a really bad veteran like Johansson (who just came off the first season where he spent the entirety of in the NHL at like 28 years old) as their backup for cap reasons, but especially since they have a goalie that will play a ton of games. And then a team like Nashville won’t have Askarov as the (league minimum) backup, despite the fact their starter will play a ton of games.
I don’t think this is an issue of backup vs AHL. I think this is Saros signed for 9 more years.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

They dangled Askarov (plus other picks) to try to move up for one of the centers at the 2023 Draft. Seems like that'd be their ideal return, but we'll see if anybody offers up a premium guy.

Tough part is that most teams already have their NHL duos in place for the season, so even a team like San Jose would have to figure out what to do with Blackwood/Vanecek unless they could reassure Askarov that both of those guys are just placeholders. I was chatting up my Sharks friend over the weekend and I mentioned them being in a spot to get a guy like Askarov. With Celebrini/Smith signed, San Jose maybe has an excess in center prospects with Filip Bystedt, David Edstrom, and Cam Lund. Would be funny if they could spin Edstrom+Vegas 1st (the main parts of the Tomas Hertl) trade for Askarov.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don’t think this is an issue of backup vs AHL. I think this is Saros signed for 9 more years.
I think so too. I just noticed a comment (sorry I didn’t quote, I can’t remember where it even was) asking why do you sign Wedgewood instead of letting him backup.

They realistically could still waive Wedgewood and have him up as the backup, but chances are he’ll never be the guy there. And he’ll be up there in age if he ever is. Even if Saros craps out or gets permanently injured halfway into that deal.

Best case scenario is he’ll be as old as Cory Schneider was the first season after Marty left.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
The ship has sailed on Askarov. If we didn't have Markstrom I would have happily given up 1st 2025 + Casey and have him come in to compete with Allen, but whats done is done.

Trotz 100% should have seen this coming and gotten in front of it. Most of the teams that needed goaltending heading into this season have already addressed it in some form or another.
We still need to replace Allen next year and Markstrom in 2 years and I'm not so sure any of our young'ns are the solution.

Not that it's realistic, but I wonder if a 3 way involving Askarov and McGroarty could be swung since Rutger wants out and Winnipeg is already set in goal.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
We still need to replace Allen next year and Markstrom in 2 years and I'm not so sure any of our young'ns are the solution.

Not that it's realistic, but I wonder if a 3 way involving Askarov and McGroarty could be swung since Rutger wants out and Winnipeg is already set in goal.

my guess is if the duo performs good they will have no problem reupping them for 1 or 2 years and see where the team is at in terms of prospects.

i know people are scared of 30+ year olds but honestly these two guys with the time left and price on the contracts gives the devils a ton of flexibility when they need it most. if they do well then bring them back for two more years they will overlap one another and at each point you can address if its going well not to mention they both will be great cap hits.

i would much rather have two vets for minimal term and still good then 1 goalie making 8+ for 8 more years.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
my guess is if the duo performs good they will have no problem reupping them for 1 or 2 years and see where the team is at in terms of prospects.

i know people are scared of 30+ year olds but honestly these two guys with the time left and price on the contracts gives the devils a ton of flexibility when they need it most. if they do well then bring them back for two more years they will overlap one another and at each point you can address if its going well not to mention they both will be great cap hits.

i would much rather have two vets for minimal term and still good then 1 goalie making 8+ for 8 more years.
30+ is one thing. 37+ is another.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
30+ is one thing. 37+ is another.
thats why you give them short term deals. the dollars won't be expensive compared to the rangers giving igor 10+ or if they both stink you cut them loose. i'm not and the devils shouldn't be looking for all star goaltending numbers just give me average goaltending with this offense should be all the team needs for playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad