Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mdj12784

Sep 19, 2006
Sayreville, N.J

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Assuming they match Broberg and let Holloway walk, it looks like Edmonton did okay given the circumstances. I think they're still in cap trouble when Evander Kane gets cleared, but I suppose they can worry about that in a few months.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
People always worry about the cap when there will always be teams there to take a cap dump for a third rounder lol

Reactions: NjDevsRR

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
People always worry about the cap when there will always be teams there to take a cap dump for a third rounder lol

Ceci is not a cap dump though - he was averaging 20 minutes a night for Edmonton (4th overall among defensemen) for a reasonable $3.25M.

Edmonton did not want to trade him, but had to now in order to clear cap space to retain at least one of Holloway or Broberg.

Sharks will be able to flip him at the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, as RHD are always in demand.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Ceci is not a cap dump though - he was averaging 20 minutes a night for Edmonton (4th overall among defensemen) for a reasonable $3.25M.

Edmonton did not want to trade him, but had to now in order to clear cap space to retain at least one of Holloway or Broberg.

Sharks will be able to flip him at the deadline for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, as RHD are always in demand.

Eh, while you're right, I think most would argue that Ceci is playing over his head with that many minutes a night. I don't think Edmonton will be any worse for wear losing Ceci, but yes, those minutes will have to be picked up by someone and they are not deep on the backend.

Emberson seems like he could be a stable defender, but seems more like a 3rd pairing guy from what I've read.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

He is a cap dump inasmuch as he is not good and really never was good. Someone will want him, I don't really know why, but someone will, but the Sharks should've gotten more to take him.

I wouldn't trust Broberg on the right side but it seems like that's where they're headed.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Eh, while you're right, I think most would argue that Ceci is playing over his head with that many minutes a night. I don't think Edmonton will be any worse for wear losing Ceci, but yes, those minutes will have to be picked up by someone and they are not deep on the backend.

Emberson seems like he could be a stable defender, but seems more like a 3rd pairing guy from what I've read.

I think this is fair. I know Ceci has been a bit of a punchline, but I really don't watch teams outside of the Devils all that closely and a defender that gets 20 minutes a night (even if that's far from ideal) on a Cup Final team still has to have some value I'd think. I am probably overestimating his value based on minutes, but Friedman also did say on his quick hit 32 Thoughts podcast that Ceci is a player Edmonton did not want to have to trade away.

Edmonton seemed to do OK in the deal - brought back a younger, cheaper defenseman and only had to give up a 3rd round pick.

I don't think Grier is a good GM and he probably could've gotten a little more in return. Crazy that a rebuilding team like the Sharks already has all 3 retained slots taken up for the upcoming season.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Tough spot for Nashville, goalie prospects don’t usually garner much in trades because goalies face so much randomness in stats and development.

I bet the return is underwhelming relative to what the average fan thinks they’ll get.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’m skeptical this is the first time Nashville management is hearing this. I’m guessing Askarov quietly asked for a trade earlier and Nashville couldn’t find one to their liking. Assuming this doesn’t force Nashville’s hand what does he do next? He has a contract so it’s not so easy to jump to thr KHL. Maybe they try to trade Wedgewood and make Askarov the backup?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think this is fair. I know Ceci has been a bit of a punchline, but I really don't watch teams outside of the Devils all that closely and a defender that gets 20 minutes a night (even if that's far from ideal) on a Cup Final team still has to have some value I'd think. I am probably overestimating his value based on minutes, but Friedman also did say on his quick hit 32 Thoughts podcast that Ceci is a player Edmonton did not want to have to trade away.

Edmonton seemed to do OK in the deal - brought back a younger, cheaper defenseman and only had to give up a 3rd round pick.

I don't think Grier is a good GM and he probably could've gotten a little more in return. Crazy that a rebuilding team like the Sharks already has all 3 retained slots taken up for the upcoming season.

Grier is using his retention slots in exactly the right way for a rebuilding team - to clear veterans off the team who were otherwise sunk costs and getting the maximum amount of assets back for them. I don't think Grier is doing a great job but he also has the most difficult job of anyone I can remember - San Jose was so far behind.

Reactions: NJDfan86 and HBK27

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

I recall earlier in the year there was discussion about moving Ceci possibly and that the leadership core really emphasized their displeasure if it happened given his popularity in the locker room. So I think this could be an unpopular move with the players, but Edmonton's hands were certainly tied from the offer sheets.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Nashville really blew this.

Askarov is 22 years old and already put in 2 solid seasons in the AHL. Saros is a workhorse that will start more than 75% of the games for Nashville. Wedgewood had a .899 SV% for a very good Dallas team last season. Is Wedgewood really going to outperform Askarov at any significant level next season (if at all)?

Why not give Askarov a chance to be a backup for a couple seasons and build his value?

With Stamkos and March in the mix, the Preds shouldn't be a borderline playoff team and they could've easily worked Askarov into the rotation.

Just a mind-numbing bad decision. I hope they get completely hosed on a trade.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Nashville really blew this.

Askarov is 22 years old and already put in 2 solid seasons in the AHL. Saros is a workhorse that will start more than 75% of the games for Nashville. Wedgewood had a .899 SV% for a very good Dallas team last season. Is Wedgewood really going to outperform Askarov at any significant level next season (if at all)?

Why not give Askarov a chance to be a backup for a couple seasons and build his value?

With Stamkos and March in the mix, the Preds shouldn't be a borderline playoff team and they could've easily worked Askarov into the rotation.

Just a mind-numbing bad decision. I hope they get completely hosed on a trade.
Askarov won’t have any good options if he can get a KHL team to sign him for this season. Nashville hasn’t traded him yet and it seems unlikely to me that a public declaration will make a trade any easier.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
predators are in a hard spot they have saros and a playoff worthy team you aren't going to get a bag trading him and how do you just punt the playoffs away like that so i totally understand why they kept him and resigned him it was the right move. i just assumed askarov would be the backup this season but looking to see they have wedge and murrary as backups? thats not a good look at all let him back up saros imo.

maybe they just aren't as high on him as the internet is? or is there some contract benefit to keeping him in the minors again?

My3Sons

Sponsor
predators are in a hard spot they have saros and a playoff worthy team you aren't going to get a bag trading him and how do you just punt the playoffs away like that so i totally understand why they kept him and resigned him it was the right move. i just assumed askarov would be the backup this season but looking to see they have wedge and murrary as backups? thats not a good look at all let him back up saros imo.

maybe they just aren't as high on him as the internet is? or is there some contract benefit to keeping him in the minors again?
Askarov is 22 and in the final year of his ELC so I doubt it’s the contract. More likely just old school hockey thinking that an older Wedgewood has to be better than some snot nosed kid.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad