Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
thats what i dont get show up to camp and win the backup spot dont just expect it given to you. unless the preds told him he was going down regardless?
I think it’s been pretty well known for a while they were going to keep Askarov in the AHL again, hence the pre draft trade request. Hoarding an asset is one thing, wasting it is another. You can’t tell the league this guy is so valuable we’re looking for a top ten pick then block any realistic long term road to starting or short term road to NHL 1B minutes.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We still need to replace Allen next year and Markstrom in 2 years and I'm not so sure any of our young'ns are the solution.

Not that it's realistic, but I wonder if a 3 way involving Askarov and McGroarty could be swung since Rutger wants out and Winnipeg is already set in goal.
If Askarov is unwilling to report to Nashville's AHL team, why would he report to our AHL team? He would be agreeing to another year of AHL play, a year after that splitting time with Markstrom, and likely not starting until 2027.

You could maybe talk to his agent and work out a wink-wink-nudge-nudge 'keep your guy quiet in the AHL this year and will give him a fat RFA deal next summer' kind of arrangement. But quite frankly it seems like he's interested more in playing time than in money.

Otherwise we would have to trade Allen to open up a spot, which is kind of a scummy move considering he waived his NTC to be here (and would need to waive it again). I get that the league is a business and all is fair, etc, but I think Fitzgerald himself would be reluctant to that. Especially considering that he'd be going from a proven vet to a 22 year old kid, I just can't imagine him being okay with that risk when our window is right now.

Reactions: HBK27

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If Askarov is unwilling to report to Nashville's AHL team, why would he report to our AHL team? He would be agreeing to another year of AHL play, a year after that splitting time with Markstrom, and likely not starting until 2027.

You could maybe talk to his agent and work out a wink-wink-nudge-nudge 'keep your guy quiet in the AHL this year and will give him a fat RFA deal next summer' kind of arrangement. But quite frankly it seems like he's interested more in playing time than in money.

Otherwise we would have to trade Allen to open up a spot, which is kind of a scummy move considering he waived his NTC to be here (and would need to waive it again). I get that the league is a business and all is fair, etc, but I think Fitzgerald himself would be reluctant to that. Especially considering that he'd be going from a proven vet to a 22 year old kid, I just can't imagine him being okay with that risk when our window is right now.
As others have speculated, it may not be an AHL-NHL thing as much as there's no clear path for his career to progress with Saros signing a long term deal there.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
thats a great deal for the habs. they aren't really going to do much anyway they get a sniper who in theory in 1.5 years they can flip for some more stuff and they got a second out of it. problem is going from the small market jackets to the microscope montreal isn't going to help his mental state if he struggles

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
thats a great deal for the habs. they aren't really going to do much anyway they get a sniper who in theory in 1.5 years they can flip for some more stuff and they got a second out of it. problem is going from the small market jackets to the microscope montreal isn't going to help his mental state if he struggles

I mean he was basically PPG the 2 prior years. Last year was a disaster for him and I imagine his troubles were a big reason his play suffered in the little time he played last year

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd love to get Askarov to be Markstrom's successor, but I don't see him wanting to come here just to be in basically the same situation he would be in Nashville. He'd be at least 2 years away from being a starter, unless Markstrom completely shits the bed right away. The timing just doesn't work.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I remember Laine for Bratt trade debates happening on this board with regularity

There was Nico for Laine too lol

Camille the Eel

What are Harris’ prospects and what do people think. I see he’s a young D, making 1.4 million on the second year of his entry contract, an American kid who played in Hockey East for Northeastern and now has 2 full seasons pretty much with the Habs. Few stats, about even plus-minus, seems light weight for his size - but I don’t remember watching him play. Don’t pay much attention to Montreal. This a good deal for Columbus or not ??

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I remember when Laine was the second fastest player to 100 goals after Ovechkin.

Or maybe it was second fastest in the last 30 years or something. Like it took the fewest games for him to get to 100 goals out of anyone other than Ovechkin since 1980-something.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad