Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I knew Columbus wanted to part ways with Laine, but I didn’t realize they were that desperate to dump him.

If Laine reverts even close to his previous form, that’s a heist by Montreal.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I remember when Laine was the second fastest player to 100 goals after Ovechkin.

Or maybe it was second fastest in the last 30 years or something. Like it took the fewest games for him to get to 100 goals out of anyone other than Ovechkin since 1980-something.
Laine scored 100 in his first 179 games. Ovechkin did it in 167 games.

Kinda crazy that Laine went from 100 in his first 179 games to 104 in his next 301 games.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd love to get Askarov to be Markstrom's successor, but I don't see him wanting to come here just to be in basically the same situation he would be in Nashville. He'd be at least 2 years away from being a starter, unless Markstrom completely shits the bed right away. The timing just doesn't work.
Except at least here there would be a long term path to playing time and he’d be the clear backup after one more year. But yeah it’s not a realistic trade now, especially with Trotz pricing him as if he’s already a star

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
They got a more than fine deal for Harris, and got Laine for free.

Money doesn’t matter to them, cap is fake for them. Either he puts it back together and he has deadline value in 2026 or he puts it back together and they re-sign him, or he’s bad and they cut bait.

Super low risk.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
They got a more than fine deal for Harris, and got Laine for free.

Money doesn’t matter to them, cap is fake for them. Either he puts it back together and he has deadline value in 2026 or he puts it back together and they re-sign him, or he’s bad and they cut bait.

Super low risk.
these are the types salary dumps low risk trades i wished the devils did more of during their rebuild. never really had that big chip to trade at the deadline for picks/prospects. its not like cap space was a problem

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Other than the unusual nature of actual offer sheets do we care about this player movement? Perhaps a bit of an overpay in terms of salary for ok but nothing special players? Are these guys still products with lots of runway to develop or did StL move second and third round picks for a fourth liner and a third pair defender? Right now it’s hard to see this moving the needle.

Reactions: Bleedred

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Other than the unusual nature of actual offer sheets do we care about this player movement? Perhaps a bit of an overpay in terms of salary for ok but nothing special players? Are these guys still products with lots of runway to develop or did StL move second and third round picks for a fourth liner and a third pair defender? Right now it’s hard to see this moving the needle.
Don't think it really moves the needle for STL but getting Broberg for a 2nd does some things for them. He has some amount of upside still and Krug is likely out for the year. They need someone to fill minutes.

Holloway is collateral damage here. If they only offer sheet Broberg, Edmonton could have matched it. I don't know that they expected to wind up with both players but here they are.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

True? Or is management already feeling the need to defend the signing before they even officially have him?

Working backwards, teams who had more than 2 mil in cap space:

Los Angeles: missing 2025 2nd (Tanner Jeannot)
Nashville: Just dumped Cody Glass to make room to sign Parssinen/Tomasino
Dallas: missing 2025 2nd (Max Domi) and have Thomas Harley to sign
New Jersey: 2025 2nd tied up (Jake Allen) and have Dawson Mercer to sign
Chicago:
Winnipeg: missing 2025 2nd (Tyler Toffoli) and have Cole Perfetti to sign
Carolina: have Seth Jarvis to sign
Boston: missing 2025 2nd (Dmitri Orlov) and have Jeremy Swayman to sign
Buffalo:
Utah: missing 2025 2nd (Mikhail Sergachev)
San Jose:
Columbus: missing 2025 2nd (Ivan Provorov)
Detroit: have Moritz Seider and Lucas Raymond to sign
Anaheim:
Calgary:

I suppose it's possible a team could reacquire its pick like St. Louis did. Buffalo and Anaheim seemingly have plenty of their own LHD. Even San Jose might have to carve out a spot for Henry Thrun or Shakir Mukhamadullin.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think Holloway is a third liner in guture at least. Trading 2+3 for 3rd liner and 3rd pair defenseman isn't bad at all.

Reactions: My3Sons

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
Maybe to make sure that Edmonton didn’t match on Holloway or something? Otherwise what leverage would Edmonton have to get an extra pick for nothing?
Maybe Edmonton said they would match but if StL gave them this 3rd and prospect then that equals how much they would’ve wanted in a trade (with the 2 and 3 already going as compensation)

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad