Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m not sure how long the hair thing has been in effect with Lou. We saw Mike Peluso have really long hair in the 90s. There’s probably a few others from around that time as well, though nobody’s was as long as Peluso’s.

The no facial hair has always been a thing, except in the playoffs. Maybe as soon as he walked in the door there were still guys with facial hair. I can’t remember.

I remember some guys would try to push it though. I’m almost certain Sykora had a goatee during the regular season back in the early 00s and it was more than just stubble. And Zach Parise almost always had the soul patch back then, he just kept it really short and thin.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I’m not sure how long the hair thing has been in effect with Lou. We saw Mike Peluso have really long hair in the 90s. There’s probably a few others from around that time as well, though nobody’s was as long as Peluso’s.

The no facial hair has always been a thing, except in the playoffs. Maybe as soon as he walked in the door there were still guys with facial hair. I can’t remember.

I remember some guys would try to push it though. I’m almost certain Sykora had a goatee during the regular season back in the early 00s and it was more than just stubble. And Zach Parise almost always had the soul patch back then, he just kept it really short and thin.

You brought up exactly what I always wondered, which was how Sykora rocked his old goatee for those few seasons. I think the Czech boys always used to give Lou fits from a hair style standpoint, since I know Patty always said Lou gave him shit about his hair and he never really cared. :laugh:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Randy McKay rocked a mullet too, I thought it was mostly facial hair he cared about, and I thought it was related to having the playoff beards they all grew together serve as some sort of bonding ritual, although I'm making that up completely I think.

Reactions: Bleedred

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He's a center? If so that explains why Fitz wouldn't want to add him.
Listed as RW on HockeyDB.

Curious to see the cost for Pitt here.

Actually hope Pitt does OK here...not sure I can take certain Winnipeg fans on this site go on about Chevy and trades again.

Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Interesting trade...14th overall pick from last year for the 14th overall pick from 2 years ago.

McGroarty arguably has more value and is a year closer to contributing for an already old Pittsburgh team, but given his trade demand Winnipeg did quite well for themselves here.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
MLB style prospect swap. Yager (14th overall pick in 2023) for McGroarty (14th overall pick in 2022). THN had Yager #26 in its Future Watch issue several months back, McGroarty was 35th. The Athletic had McGroarty #33 and Yager #58. Winnipeg did pretty well given the circumstances.

Wonder if that means McGroarty will turn pro now. Was toying with the idea of watching Michigan play at Arizona State in October, but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Randy McKay rocked a mullet too, I thought it was mostly facial hair he cared about, and I thought it was related to having the playoff beards they all grew together serve as some sort of bonding ritual, although I'm making that up completely I think.
Yeah, he had one. A few guys had a mullet back then. Claude Lemieux had a mullet too. I almost wanna say his hair was longer with Colorado than it was here. But he did have a mullet at one point here. It may have been a bit more modest.

Patty also had that longer, but kind of mid-ish length, bleached hair I think it was around the 03 cup?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
at first glance, i can’t believe Winnipeg got so little back for McGroarty. But i’m sure they heavily favored sending him to the east, and any division opponent was probably a non-starter. And they were obviously under the gun since everyone knew he had to be traded.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
at first glance, i can’t believe Winnipeg got so little back for McGroarty. But i’m sure they heavily favored sending him to the east, and any division opponent was probably a non-starter. And they were obviously under the gun since everyone knew he had to be traded.

So little? They got a guy drafted in the same exact spot just a year later for a player that wanted to be traded.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Would’ve assumed it would be lack of recent success that did him in but dang maybe duclair cutting his hair does it lol
Am I alone in not being bothered by the whole clean shaven, no long hair thing?

It's Lou's thing, guys know it going there, whether signing or getting traded. I know you don't have a choice when traded, but I would rather play in Long Island and be told what my hair style is instead of being sent to Winnipeg. So it could be worse.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

1724352567121.png

I thought Winnipeg got a decent return given the circumstances. It's not the greatest source, but THN had Yager ranked ahead of McGroarty in their most recent Future Watch issue. Most other rankings do prefer McGroarty. Winnipeg didn't necessarily need to rush, but the offers probably weren't going to get any better.

Apparently there was an offer on the table at the draft from Minnesota (pick #13) but the Wild pivoted when Zeev Buium dropped.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Am I alone in not being bothered by the whole clean shaven, no long hair thing?

It's Lou's thing, guys know it going there, whether signing or getting traded. I know you don't have a choice when traded, but I would rather play in Long Island and be told what my hair style is instead of being sent to Winnipeg. So it could be worse.

Not at all. It's been his thing forever. And almost any player has said that, while they don't necessarily agree with his rules at the time or understand the need for them, they grow to appreciate the way Lou runs things as a whole. This is why he's had countless players return to him over the years. The Gomezes, the Sykoras, the Rolstons, etc.

People can say Lou's a dinosaur, and he has maybe lost his touch with the way the game is played these days, but he's always been lauded for how he treats people and it pisses me off to see the discourse that was put out there today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad