Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sounds like Jeff Marek quit/got fired from Sportsnet. We'll see if he lands elsewhere, but I did enjoy the 32 Thoughts podcast with Elliotte Friedman and would occasionally listen to his daily podcast depending on the topic/guest.

No way.

That blows. I love Marek
That's brutal. Maybe this happened a few weeks ago and just got out today? They haven't put out a new podcast since June 29th and they usually don't for a month or two in the summer. They're usually on hiatus from the first or second week of July through the end of August.

They just always end with one last season finale podcast, which they normally do after UFA day. They didn't do one after UFA day this year. Which I thought was weird. Maybe this explains that?

Last year they just lost their background guy, who you don't hear on the podcast, but he's part of the production crew. He was apparently leaving for a promotion somewhere else, I forget where. They had nothing but nice things to say about him on his last show, and were kind of crushed he was leaving.

I can't imagine it without Marek now. Pretty brutal call by SportsNet.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I didn't want to get to speculation, but Friedman did a hasty post-draft podcast solo. There's a Twitter account (followed by Bob McKenzie, Pierre LeBrun, so seemingly legitimate) which attributes it to "draft reasons" which is a little ambiguous.
Like draft beer reasons or he didn't like who the Leafs took in the fourth round in Vegas?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
i'm sure you're right that they're all gone, but it is crazy to see management be held accountable while toews is remembered as a great leader, for example. i don't have a solution, so i would just say f*** the blackhawks forever.

You can be critical of them but vague rumors at camp among other players is a lot different than the upper management and the head coach meeting and decided to do nothing when they had a ton more information plus the power and responsibility to act.

And they made that decision because the head coach didn’t want lose his video coach during the playoffs, because isn’t winning everything?

I can’t stress enough how f***ing awful the decision to let Bowman and Quenneville back in the NHL this quickly is.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Yeah it's tough to not let my imagination run wild. Like did he get drunk and steal Mike Tyson's tiger, or was he unhappy that he'd been demoted from host (2019) to floor reporter (2022)?

My imagination goes more toward some kind of "journalistic malpractice", as far as the concept applies to hockey pundits.

Draft reasons is pretty vague though, that could be almost anything. Like maybe he was improperly advising a team on their draft board, or prematurely revealed a pick that was told to him in confidence?

Without more details it's hard to know how his infraction differs from normal hockey insider behavior.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Some rumors floating around that Marek leaked some draft pick info to colleagues who then leaked it to team(s)? When I attended the 2017 Draft, I was seated behind the NBCSN production crew and I could see them prepping up highlight packages before the teams took the podium. Before we made our pick, I was standing up with Hischier and Patrick nameplates. One of the production people turned around and told me it was going to be Nico (he'd later tell me that he wanted to help me get on camera).

As I understand it, the teams enter the pick at the table and then wait for the green light from the TV people to go on stage. I remember seeing the cameras at the 2015 Draft and each one had a big cheat sheet with photos of each prospect, so basically that's how they're ready with the reaction shot even for somebody unexpected like Beckett Sennecke this year or Mark Visentin in 2010.

In Marek's case, he was probably given the notice on the pick so he could prep for a couple minutes for the eventual interview.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Some rumors floating around that Marek leaked some draft pick info to colleagues who then leaked it to team(s)? When I attended the 2017 Draft, I was seated behind the NBCSN production crew and I could see them prepping up highlight packages before the teams took the podium. Before we made our pick, I was standing up with Hischier and Patrick nameplates. One of the production people turned around and told me it was going to be Nico (he'd later tell me that he wanted to help me get on camera).

As I understand it, the teams enter the pick at the table and then wait for the green light from the TV people to go on stage. I remember seeing the cameras at the 2015 Draft and each one had a big cheat sheet with photos of each prospect, so basically that's how they're ready with the reaction shot even for somebody unexpected like Beckett Sennecke this year or Mark Visentin in 2010.

In Marek's case, he was probably given the notice on the pick so he could prep for a couple minutes for the eventual interview.

ya, i remember you posted a photo (or was it video) of you at the draft.

also....what in the world did you do with the patrick name plate?

if you still have it you could put it into a first aid kit and use it to wrap a wound if needed. oh!

Reactions: glenwo2

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
ya, i remember you posted a photo (or was it video) of you at the draft.

also....what in the world did you do with the patrick name plate?

if you still have it you could put it into a first aid kit and use it to wrap a wound if needed. oh!

I have a Kakko nameplate somewhere too, both are collecting dust.

Trying to think what teams would have done with leaked pick info. Like if we caught wind a couple minutes before that Ottawa was taking Carter Yakemchuk, would that change how we approached #10?

There was a rumor that Minnesota was offering something around #13 to Winnipeg for Rutger McGroarty, but then they'd pivot and trade up a spot for Zeev Buium.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Do they do it now or next year though? Curious to see how they handle him. I’d lock that one in soon though.
Sign it ASAP.

I think the likelihood of the $$$ going up outweigh the chance of them going down.

I’d start out with an exact mirror of Jack’s contract, see if he thought the symmetry was fun, and go from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad