Around the NHL 2023-24 - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The driver sounds like a real piece of shit...

20240830_162738.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Many of you are maybe too young to remember Philadelphia Stanley Cup winning goalie Pelle Lindbergh. Killed in 1985 while driving drunk. Crashed his Porsche into a concrete wall. That accident also occurred in NJ.

RIP to the Gaudreau brothers and sympathies to the families. Horrific situation for their sister and families to deal with on the eve of her wedding.
He didn't win the cup, I think he was just coming off a cup finals appearance, but they lost to the Oilers. He was also the reigning Vezina winner.

I think Gaudreau is probably the biggest active NHL player that has died since Pelle Lindbergh. The guys in the Lokomotiv plane crash were still active, but not in the NHL anymore.

And there were cases like Luc Bourdon, his career had barely started. And quite a few others. I think Derek Boogaard and Rick Rypien both died during an offseason in which they had just played in the NHL that season.

This is definitely the biggest name active player death in the NHL, if not all of hockey probably since Lindbergh.

The driver sounds like a real piece of shit...

View attachment 904130
He just killed two people because he was driving drunk.

He's lucky he isn't there until the Thursday in 2600 weeks from now.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He didn't win the cup, I think he was just coming off a cup finals appearance, but they lost to the Oilers. He was also the reigning Vezina winner.

I think Gaudreau is probably the biggest active NHL player that has died since Pelle Lindbergh. The guys in the Lokomotiv plane crash were still active, but not in the NHL anymore.

And there were cases like Luc Bourdon, his career had barely started. And quite a few others. I think Derek Boogaard and Rick Rypien both died during an offseason in which they had just played in the NHL that season.

This is definitely the biggest name active player death in the NHL, if not all of hockey probably since Lindbergh.

Based on that snippet I am genuinely curious if he understands that his life as he knew it is over.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Based on that snippet I am genuinely curious if he understands that his life as he knew it is over.
I doubt he does.

The culture of the country significantly minimizes drunk driving. And, he is entitled to his defense. We only know what's been reported, but that may not be entirely accurate or the full story.

I hope he's put away though. This was both drunk and reckless driving. It obviously killed two people - and it also endangered everyone else on the road as well.

I also hope the rules around passive, advanced impaired driving prevention systems that are supposed to be issued in November actually come out and aren't too watered down. Way past time.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I doubt he does.

The culture of the country significantly minimizes drunk driving. And, he is entitled to his defense. We only know what's been reported, but that may not be entirely accurate or the full story.

I hope he's put away though. This was both drunk and reckless driving. It obviously killed two people - and it also endangered everyone else on the road as well.

I also hope the rules around passive, advanced impaired driving prevention systems that are supposed to be issued in November actually come out and aren't too watered down. Way past time.
I think there is a subtle recognition by the criminal process that the states have decided to allow alcohol to be quite widespread and that prosecuting otherwise ordinary people for alcohol offenses sort of spotlights the hypocrisy of the system. The federal government has slowly started regulating cigarettes out of existence but have not taken that approach with alcohol and has actually gone thr other way with alcohol ads everywhere.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Maybe he’s still drunk
That would be better than if he was sober as sad as that is. He allegedly killed two people and he’s worried about his social calendar? If what’s come out to date is accurate he’s maybe a sociopath? Just absolutely uncaring about anyone but himself.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think there is a subtle recognition by the criminal process that the states have decided to allow alcohol to be quite widespread and that prosecuting otherwise ordinary people for alcohol offenses sort of spotlights the hypocrisy of the system. The federal government has slowly started regulating cigarettes out of existence but have not taken that approach with alcohol and has actually gone thr other way with alcohol ads everywhere.
Unfortunately, alcohol is a so accepted and normal in our society that the people who choose to completely abstain from it are sometimes ridiculed for it or treated like lesser individuals.

Basically it's treated as normal, and if you don't partake in it you're not normal! Sometimes those who have kicked it and gotten sober are treated as exceptions.

just be 21 and don't drive after consuming it! That's how it's marketed. However, if you're over the age of 21 and you don't drink? WHAT THE f*** IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHAT THE f*** KIND OF PERSON ARE YOU?!

Now, not everybody acts like this toward teetotal people. My last example was a very extreme and rare one. I've always thought it was weird growing up in an era where something like marijuana was demonized (it's not anymore) and alcohol was just so accepted. Alcohol has ruined many more lives than marijuana. I'm not even saying this from a pro-weed standpoint, as I don't partake in that either and haven't since I was 14. It's just always made me laugh how weed was taboo for so many years, but alcohol hasn't been since the prohibition days long before us or shortly after that. And there's always been ''A glass of wine every day with dinner is healthy!'' thing, which I saw a claim recently that this was debunked, which I'm not sure if it's legit or not.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know if this day made me want hockey more or left me sour over it.

If it left me sour over it, I think that will pass very soon. Like, within a couple of weeks.

After what happened to the Gaudreau brothers and then the Nemec scare (which I wanna stress is very minimal compared to two guys losing their lives entirely), my head just isn't right and I'm feeling all sorts of different things.

On one hand, hockey would be a great distraction from all of this right now.

But on the other hand, I can't really get into anything hockey related right now, because of it all. Other than posting on this board.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Honestly reading the State Police report, the perp seems like he might be slow. He straight up admits EVERYTHING he did wrong, admitting fault, drinking, how many drinks he had, what led and caused the accident, and that alcohol directly caused his actions. But then you see him at the court hearing and he's upset about having to be in jail for another week and not understanding probably for the foreseeable future. Something just seems off.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Countless lives ruined just to try and get somewhere 2 minutes faster…

At most he would have saved 15 seconds. This has nothing to do with getting somewhere faster and everything to do with an angry drunk trying to act like a macho asshole. He should be tried for murder the same way had he accidentally shot and killed two people.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Unfortunately, alcohol is a so accepted and normal in our society that the people who choose to completely abstain from it are sometimes ridiculed for it or treated like lesser individuals.

Basically it's treated as normal, and if you don't partake in it you're not normal! Sometimes those who have kicked it and gotten sober are treated as exceptions.

just be 21 and don't drive after consuming it! That's how it's marketed. However, if you're over the age of 21 and you don't drink? WHAT THE f*** IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHAT THE f*** KIND OF PERSON ARE YOU?!

Now, not everybody acts like this toward teetotal people. My last example was a very extreme and rare one. I've always thought it was weird growing up in an era where something like marijuana was demonized (it's not anymore) and alcohol was just so accepted. Alcohol has ruined many more lives than marijuana. I'm not even saying this from a pro-weed standpoint, as I don't partake in that either and haven't since I was 14. It's just always made me laugh how weed was taboo for so many years, but alcohol hasn't been since the prohibition days long before us or shortly after that. And there's always been ''A glass of wine every day with dinner is healthy!'' thing, which I saw a claim recently that this was debunked, which I'm not sure if it's legit or not.

Younger generations do not have the same view towards alcohol so hopefully that changes.

Camille the Eel

The deaths of Gaudreau and brother are just the saddest thing. Can’t believe it. The drunken driver aside, this puts life and hockey in perspective. Life can change in an instant. Be in the wrong place at the wrong time and it can be over in a second. I am so very saddened by this. It seems like you know the players you watch and in a way you do. There is such grief in this for the families, team mates, friends and we too who follow the game.

So sad. So depressing.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
This story gets worse and worse with every passing hour. I was a mess all day today. I need to stay off the internet this weekend because I cannot handle reading this anymore. I can’t imagine the absolute horror and pain the families and friends are going through. This is just awful and unthinkable stuff.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

You are correct. I fixed that in the original post. His injury in the semis probably cost them a real shot at that Cup.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad