Around the NHL 2023-2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
He wasn't on the ice for Edmonton's game 2 goal, but he's been on for all 3 of Edmonton's tonight.

He's been completely abused, especially in the 3rd period.

But I was being told that he was some kind of defensive juggernaut that Armstrong was a fool for trading. This can't be true!
So glad to see Edmonton tanking

It pleases me greatly.

• Love
Reactions: BlueKnight

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The Western Conference really is this bad.

I picked the Oilers to make the Final, but not because they’re a great team. They had a rather poor start to the season, but then turned it on and entered the playoffs with some momentum.

This is it for McDrai. Those two will never again play together in the Final.

Why don’t you like Edmonton, @BlueKnight?

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
It’s pretty strange. Seems like a rush job
They’ve gonna do it to sell stuff and create an original Utah HC memorabilia craze.

On another note, an AHL team called the Utah Ice or something like that would be cool cuz Mr. Freeze Meister mascot!!!

Family fun!

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
The Western Conference really is this bad.

I picked the Oilers to make the Final, but not because they’re a great team. They had a rather poor start to the season, but then turned it on and entered the playoffs with some momentum.

This is it for McDrai. Those two will never again play together in the Final.

Why don’t you like Edmonton, @BlueKnight?
I always hated the Oilers, Growing up in Calgary Flames household it's just natural to hate the Oilers. I always disliked their fanbase and since I moved to Edmonton 2 years my contempt has gotten worse. Godforbid if you wear a opposing team's jersey.

ArenaRat

Jan 19, 2022
Nola
I marvel at the way Florida salts away one huge win after another with the puck pinned against the boards. How many games have the Blues been "protecting" a one goal lead in the final minute, giving up 37 Grade A chances only to somehow squeak through, and leaving fans on the verge of cardiac arrest? Just once I'd like to win a big game the way FL does!

ds774622

Jun 6, 2024
Kakko is off the table it looks like
Doesn't mean he still can't get traded. I wonder if anyone remembers past instances of a player accepting his QO on the condition the GM will still work to find him a new home? I think there was really good debate on the trade thread and the MB on Kakko's situation and value. I almost hope NYR does work out a trade just so we can see what the return would be. Personally don't see the Rangers trading him this year though.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Doesn't mean he still can't get traded. I wonder if anyone remembers past instances of a player accepting his QO on the condition the GM will still work to find him a new home? I think there was really good debate on the trade thread and the MB on Kakko's situation and value. I almost hope NYR does work out a trade just so we can see what the return would be. Personally don't see the Rangers trading him this year though.
This pretty well mirror's Friedman's speculation on 32 Thoughts. I think that the $2.4M number is low enough for the Rangers to spend 1 more year trying to turn him into the player they hoped they were drafting, but I also wouldn't be surprised if teams at least come calling. Having that contract locked in certainly increased the Rangers leverage in trade negotiations.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, Mikkola was freaking brutal last night but overall he’s been OK for the panthers in this series IMO. I think we forget how inexperienced he was when playing for the Blues because he was older, but Mikkola had only played 139 NHL games when we traded him to NY.

Watching him this year, I see the same player he was for the Blues, but with more experience (less mistakes) and a better team and team structure around him (helping cover up the mistakes he still makes).

The goal off his ass was pure comedy tho :laugh:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yeah, Mikkola was freaking brutal last night but overall he’s been OK for the panthers in this series IMO. I think we forget how inexperienced he was when playing for the Blues because he was older, but Mikkola had only played 139 NHL games when we traded him to NY.

Watching him this year, I see the same player he was for the Blues, but with more experience (less mistakes) and a better team and team structure around him (helping cover up the mistakes he still makes).

I was wondering he plays PK modt of Time. Toughest opponents. Florida IS quite good at PK.
Everybody sees his errors, but still he can shutdown Drai and mcdavid. He IS really Bad version of Jbo, but has tougher touch on his game.

To whom we could compare Mikkola. Capwise, toi, PK, vs opponents and result.???

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I'm sort of surprised the way Bob has been able to bounce back after a really rough start in Florida. The team is far and away the best team he's been on, but he has ALWAYS been streaky in being literally a Vezina goalie and being replacement level. I think that might be their only weakness, just because of how streaky he can be. As far as the team itself, it feels like all of the best parts of the 2012 Kings and 2019 Blues teams. Running through opponents, insane goaltending, borderline killing people, scoring at a high rate, unreal defense, 4 lines rolling the entire game. It's a testament to how in tune these guys are and I think it's the secret sauce to teams winning that don't have super top end talent. They are clearly a talented group of players, but no one who can challenge the likes of prime Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid, MacKinnon, Kucherov, among the defenseman who have won the Norris. Pretty unbelievable to see what Maurice has done with this team.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
This pretty well mirror's Friedman's speculation on 32 Thoughts. I think that the $2.4M number is low enough for the Rangers to spend 1 more year trying to turn him into the player they hoped they were drafting, but I also wouldn't be surprised if teams at least come calling. Having that contract locked in certainly increased the Rangers leverage in trade negotiations.
With $2.4mil being a 2nd rounder in compensation on an offer sheet, this really opens up a lot more trade avenues as there are 9 teams who don't hold their 2025 2nd rounders.

Also helps he's been getting better deployment and has been stapled to a partner who's better in transition than anyone he played with on the Blues (which helps cover up probably his single greatest weakness). But he still has those games where nothing clicks for him, and lord it is a train wreck to watch, especially with some of the comedy that entails like the goal that went off him.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
G4 has just started, but Edmonton does not have an answer for Florida.

In an interview after G3, McDavid said that they are trying to figure out the Panthers.

Huh?

I've been wanting the Oilers to win a couple games, but the Panthers are just so fun to watch. They remind me of the 2019 Blues.

Nice to see Janmark with another shorty.

Oilers PP is predictable.

McDavid freelances around and nothing happens or Drai tries his acute angle shot. Big deal.

Is Mikkola gonna suck again?

LOL

Just as I type that, Niko f***s up again.

The Final has me changing my hindsight mind regarding Mikkola. Tough to watch him.

Kaplan has always been solid. Love her.

Vladi scoring goals when it counts. lmao I just accidentally misspelled 'counts' and HF's filters posted the text as a series of 'eeks'.

Going back to Nurse's obvious major on Bennett, that was a grant to the Edmonton Oilers from the NHL.

Way to go Holly!!!!

Make this a Series!!!!!!! I'm bored!!!

PK is right on!

The Oilers are playing nice and loose. Just playing hockey.

Bing boing!!!

Connor McGregor finally punches one in.

Do you see what you have to do to win, Edmonton!!!!?????

Be attentive, FFS!!!! Have a sense of urgency!!!

Sooooooo, the Oilers are gonna win G4 sumpn like 13-1 and then will be summarily executed in G5 for a Panthers Cup win. They might even win 13-0 cuz the NHL will remove one goal.

C'mon McDavid, you bitch!! Punch Bennett in the face!!

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
G4 has just started, but Edmonton does not have an answer for Florida.

In an interview after G3, McDavid said that they are trying to figure out the Panthers.

Huh?

I've been wanting the Oilers to win a couple games, but the Panthers are just so fun to watch. They remind me of the 2019 Blues.

Nice to see Janmark with another shorty.

Oilers PP is predictable.

McDavid freelances around and nothing happens or Drai tries his acute angle shot. Big deal.

Is Mikkola gonna suck again?

LOL

Just as I type that, Niko f***s up again.

The Final has me changing my hindsight mind regarding Mikkola. Tough to watch him.

Kaplan has always been solid. Love her.
Still he plays toughest opponents vs. Also plays well.

Hate The boy.

Tarasenko killing IT.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The Panthers are definitely looking uncharacteristic in this game so far.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I always hated the Oilers, Growing up in Calgary Flames household it's just natural to hate the Oilers. I always disliked their fanbase and since I moved to Edmonton 2 years my contempt has gotten worse. Godforbid if you wear a opposing team's jersey.
I used to "live" in Calgary and have been to Edmonton a whole bunch of times. I understand what you're saying about the Flames-Oilers thing, but I have no dog in that fight. Much of my time in Canada was in Calgary, but we spent a lot of time and have friends in Edmonton who "live" in Arizona. I like both cities, but am, by far, partial to Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad