Around the NHL 2023-2024

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Unreal. I wasn’t a believer in the Oilers until now but I think they’re gonna pull this off now.

Either way, a game 7 would be electric on Monday.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I can’t stomach seeing Corey f*** face winning the cup. I don’t care if Florida’s 4th liners have to break McDork and Draidiver’s legs… don’t lose game 7

Reactions: Ranksu

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
It's becoming clear that the only reason Bettman gave this clown a path to a guaranteed return is because he knew that he'd never be able to pull this arena project off.

There are a lot of angles here, but what I predicted to my local Coyotes friends/fans is that the NHL is going to force a sale and the franchise will relocate. Everyone thought I was crazy, but there was no way that Bettman was going to allow another season at that substandard arena.

I had an extremely strong feeling that they would be forced to sell and relocate, which is what happened.

P9s is spot on that Bettman is a process-oriented creature, like sanctions against a country. The Tempe vote happened because of Meruelo's hubris and the "bad advice" he received to structure the financing of the removal of the land fill in a way that the voters will deny. Not only was Meruelo and his camp convinced to structure the financing this way, but they were also convinced to not spend that much money to advertise the benefits of the Tempe project.

It was set up to lose from the start. Bettman is a process-oriented player. A snake who will slither toward his goal at all costs.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Water is wet.. that doesn’t mean I play in the rain
We sing,

It's raining, it's pouring
The old man is snoring

In Germany, they sing,

Es regnet, es regnet
Die erde wird nass

Translated:
It's raining, it's raining
The ground becomes wet

Like really?

Wirtlich?

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Why the !@#$#@ do you pull the goalie before you have control in the zone with nearly 4 mins left???? Choke job.....

BEYOND !@#@#%ING STUPID!!

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Who had Edmonton winning 5-1 with McDavid getting 0 pts on their Bingo card?

I may have to change my rooting interest on Monday. Simply for the historical significance of it.

Reactions: tfriede2

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
So apparently they are now requiring Meruello to get special use permit from city before they sell him the land. I don’t know much beyond that, but this feels like the type of hurdle these clowns won’t be able to clear.
While there's likely some blame on Mereullo for how it is playing out, I'm not sure he bears all the blame on this specific hurdle. Someone here is likely way more knowledgeable than I am on the topic of land auctions and zoning/permits. But is Mereullo even able to get a permit before owning the land, and up until now it didn't seem to be required. I also wonder how any other potential bidders for the site feel about the cancellation of the auction 6 days out.

Worst case scenario he's just going to pocket his tidy proceeds for selling the team to Utah. I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that the real estate plan for Merullo is hitting snags. He seems to have no local goodwill, and no allies in the government. I think there is a pretty viable path for a team in Phoenix succeeding, but not so sure its possible if he's driving it.
As you point out he certainly hasn't done himself any favors in garnering support from just about any angle. This will certainly cut deeper into his 5 year window to meet the benchmarks required to bring the Coyotes back.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Can’t believe Oliers forced a game 7, Snoop Dogg was right…

Has any team ever blown a 3-0 lead in the cup final and lost?

I dont know what would be more tragic, Florida blowing a 3-0 lead or Edmonton forcing game 7 and then losing.

I think the broadcast mentioned not since 1942? So the Oilers would be the 2nd or 3rd team in history to pull off a reverse sweep in the finals if they win Monday.

They'd also become the 5th team to complete a reverse sweep in league history (ignoring the round in question).

Reactions: shpongle falls

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
While there's likely some blame on Mereullo for how it is playing out, I'm not sure he bears all the blame on this specific hurdle. Someone here is likely way more knowledgeable than I am on the topic of land auctions and zoning/permits. But is Mereullo even able to get a permit before owning the land, and up until now it didn't seem to be required. I also wonder how any other potential bidders for the site feel about the cancellation of the auction 6 days out.

As you point out he certainly hasn't done himself any favors in garnering support from just about any angle. This will certainly cut deeper into his 5 year window to meet the benchmarks required to bring the Coyotes back.

My understanding of the situation was there were no other bids on the land parcel in question, though the bidding process was not closed yet - so another bidder may have come forward out of spite, had the process not been closed.

I'd also heard that despite applying for zone rezoning permits prior to owning the land though irregular, is something churches have to do before acquiring a land parcel to build - so there is precedent.

Reactions: mk80

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Can’t believe Oliers forced a game 7, Snoop Dogg was right…

Has any team ever blown a 3-0 lead in the cup final and lost?

I dont know what would be more tragic, Florida blowing a 3-0 lead or Edmonton forcing game 7 and then losing.

Nothing in modern times.

Last 2 times it happen in the cup finals.

1941 was last time a team came back from 3-0 to win the cup
1945 was last time a team came back from 3-0 to force a game 7 in the finals.

I believe those years are correct.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad