Around the NHL 2023-2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
amazing dallas got out of round 1! very happy to see deboer, pavelski (who was absolute dog shit), and benn out of the playoffs before the cup series begins

can't wait to hear the travel excuse when florida faces them too

should be a fun SCF

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Panthers will win it in 4 or 5. The West was always going to get punched in the mouth by whoever emerged from the East this year.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
amazing dallas got out of round 1! very happy to see deboer, pavelski (who was absolute dog shit), and benn out of the playoffs before the cup series begins

can't wait to hear the travel excuse when florida faces them too

should be a fun SCF
Edmonton to South Florida is a brutal extreme. This is gonna be a fun Final!

Last edited:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I’m not sure that this “score the first goal and turtle for 56 minutes” strategy is going to work out for the Oilers. Feels like the Stars are going to tie this up.
Lack of Mike Yeo in the Oilers' lineage certainly helped the turtle remain successful

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I really don't care how good McDavid is, the fact the oilers are able to get to the finals by banging their heads against the wall until the stars align and they get carried by 2 guys is f***ing dumb. I hope they don't win and I hope they never win a cup as long as they're such a shit show of a franchise. I would love to see McDavid and Drai win but just not with Edmonton.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I can’t help but think if Edmonton wins the Cup that Treliving will feel obligated to do something really big and stupid this summer.
I think he's already at that point, but there would probably be a bit more pressure. I would be curious if #23+Woll for Binnington, even if we toss in a later pick is something that either side would consider.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
I think he's already at that point, but there would probably be a bit more pressure. I would be curious if #23+Woll for Binnington, even if we toss in a later pick is something that either side would consider.
Nah, I'm talking Knies or Cowan in addition to #23 and Woll. Both forwards if Treliving wants retention. That kynna Big and Dumb.

ps, I'm now envisioning a Treliving meme that incorporates the Big(g) and Rich(Dumm) logo or something. Sorry, no coffee yet and my brain is in places it shouldn't be.

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
Hmmm. I’ve heard that every year for the last 8 years. Where has the too many available goalies got ya?

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
There's too many other goalies available where he won't have to do something that stupid.

I'm not entirely sure. New Jersey has a huge need in net too, because Allen isn't a playoff caliber starter and neither Schmid nor Daws have shown they are ready to play a tandem, let alone stomach the starter burden.

So that's TOR, NJ and CAR that should be looking for a new high end goalie.

The rumour mill is swirling around Saros, Markstrom and Ullmark - but I wouldn't be surprised if DA thrust himself into the mix if the offer was right.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not entirely sure. New Jersey has a huge need in net too, because Allen isn't a playoff caliber starter and neither Schmid nor Daws have shown they are ready to play a tandem, let alone stomach the starter burden.

So that's TOR, NJ and CAR that should be looking for a new high end goalie.

The rumour mill is swirling around Saros, Markstrom and Ullmark - but I wouldn't be surprised if DA thrust himself into the mix if the offer was right.
Supply and demand are more or less in sync, it's not like there is a lack of supply or an overwhelming demand to make a team like Toronto do something super stupid. And some of those teams will just not make a move.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Supply and demand are more or less in sync, it's not like there is a lack of supply or an overwhelming demand to make a team like Toronto do something super stupid. And some of those teams will just not make a move.

That's kind of my thoughts, there isn't a scarcity of available good starting goalies to trigger a huge bidding war from 3 teams desperate to acquire one particular starter. Not all speculated goalies are equal, but in terms of style, contract, record and age no team has the same need.

I'd think that NJD should be most aggressive pursuing Saros (age) vs TOR/CAR needing the contract & playoff experience to line up more making Binner/Markstrom more appealing with the term (especially if there's retention involved). Binner has the post season laurels, but Markstrom has 2 second round runs in the past 4 seasons as well - setting each of them ahead of Ullmark's postseason record. In terms of playoff experience it goes Binnington 41gp >> Markstrom 26gp > Saros 23gp >> Ullmark 10gp.

Someone may do something stupid to secure their guy, but I don't forsee any one goalie netting an A tier prospect AND a 1st like some posters are hoping Binner could return.

Reactions: sfvega

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I have so much less hatred for a lot of the league than a lot of hockey fans and have thoroughly enjoyed the last couple rounds. I'm fine with Edmonton or Florida winning the Cup and would have been fine with either of Dallas/Rangers winning as well. I just hope that we get a good Final that goes deep.

I think that Edmonton badly bungled the first decade of McDavid/Drai's careers, but I do think that the current Oilers team is the best one we've seen around him. Hyman has 4 more playoff goals than anyone else in the league (after scoring 54 in the regular season). The Ekholm acquisition has provided them with a legit top pair and helped Bouchard blossom into a legit #1 offensive D man. RNH has been awesome. The depth is still lacking, but moving Kane down to the 3rd line has helped a good amount. It's not just the McDrai show out there this year.

The bottom can always fall out from Skinner and if they wind up losing because of him then the front office will still deserve tons of blame for not doing anything to address goaltending. But they have done enough that I'm not going to actively root against this generation's best player winning the Cup.

I love the way Florida is playing. I really like a lot of guys on that team and it's awesome to see Bob actually living up to that contract. They had some bold acquisitions, they'll have some tough decisions to make this summer and they have mortgaged quite a bit of draft picks to get their NHL roster here. It would be fun to see it pay off.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Rangers fans have soured on Miller.
1717462423083.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad