Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Emily Kaplan has become my favorite rink-side hockey personality. I can't think of any reporter that is quicker on the draw asking follow-up questions in those little player/coach interviews. She is really good at asking the NEXT question when the first answer is given, rather than just going to the next prepared question she had. Often it reveals something a lot more interesting about the player or coach than what we would have gotten if she'd glanced at her notes and gone to the next one.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Emily Kaplan has become my favorite rink-side hockey personality. I can't think of any reporter that is quicker on the draw asking follow-up questions in those little player/coach interviews. She is really good at asking the NEXT question when the first answer is given, rather than just going to the next prepared question she had. Often it reveals something a lot more interesting about the player or coach than what we would have gotten if she'd glanced at her notes and gone to the next one.
Totally agree. She does an excellent job. As does AJ Mlezsko. Matter of fact, I think AJ is one of the best announcers in the entire league. Leah Hextall on the other hand is awful.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Totally agree. She does an excellent job. As does AJ Mlezsko. Matter of fact, I think AJ is one of the best announcers in the entire league. Leah Hextall on the other hand is awful.
Its annoying that Hextall complains about being discriminated against when its just her actual performance. If a woman wants an even playing field, that means she is subject to the same criticism as her male counterparts. I have no problem at all with women calling games, and I agree Mlezsko is great. Hextall seems to not be able to comprehend that she can be eligible for criticism for just being bad regardless of her sex. (In some ways, receiving criticism like that shows that she is truly equal to male peers. Its a little subtle.)

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Its annoying that Hextall complains about being discriminated against when its just her actual performance. If a woman wants an even playing field, that means she is subject to the same criticism as her male counterparts. I have no problem at all with women calling games, and I agree Mlezsko is great. Hextall seems to not be able to comprehend that she can be eligible for criticism for just being bad regardless of her sex. (In some ways, receiving criticism like that shows that she is truly equal to male peers. Its a little subtle.)
Yeah that annoys me quite a bit. Hextall is just not good at her job and I quite literally either have to mute the audio or turn to a different game when she’s on.

Whereas when Mlezsko is doing a game I find her commentary to be extremely good. Frankly I wish she was calling more games because I think she’s one of the better announcers among the entire group of ESPN folks.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Yeah that annoys me quite a bit. Hextall is just not good at her job and I quite literally either have to mute the audio or turn to a different game when she’s on.

Whereas when Mlezsko is doing a game I find her commentary to be extremely good. Frankly I wish she was calling more games because I think she’s one of the better announcers among the entire group of ESPN folks.

Mlezsko was a little shaky as she first started, but showed steady improvement and is quite good now as you said. I listened to Kaplan’s initial ESPN podcasts with Wyshinski and it was pretty clear at the start that she was a good reporter that was new to the sport. She got so good so fast as she dove in, and I see it like Stupendous Yappi….she might be the best at her job already and she hasn’t been at it too long.

There is a very real argument for providing women opportunities, even where they might not as easily build up the most experience of all candidates at the start. Switching sports, I think viewers are generally more pleased than upset when Doris Burke is doing an NBA game.

There are many examples of the value of providing women opportunities even if their previous resume is lighter, due to fewer opportunities granted in the past. Those are 3 examples of women that ran with it and excelled.

Leah Hextall is probably the worst to take on that fight. I had to stop listening to Hockey Central at Noon years ago when she stepped in there briefly. I had to mute college games. I mute NHL games now.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
She is a really good reporter who was suddenly thrust into an on-air role that she probably wasn't ready for when ESPN picked up hockey rights. It definitely took her some time to feel/appear comfortable on camera, but her ability to ask good questions and press for real answers has always been very good. My first impression this year is that she worked hard at her on-air presence this summer.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
She is a really good reporter who was suddenly thrust into an on-air role that she probably wasn't ready for when ESPN picked up hockey rights. It definitely took her some time to feel/appear comfortable on camera, but her ability to ask good questions and press for real answers has always been very good. My first impression this year is that she worked hard at her on-air presence this summer.
I noticed in the playoffs last season that she appeared to have a wardrobe/makeup consultant who transformed her physical presentation. That’s fine, but what impresses me is the speed with which she can digest answers to questions and dig deeper with immediate followups. It shows a lot of intelligence, but it also reflects someone who is disciplined enough to actually listen to what is being said.

Contrast that with Andy Strickland. He was extremely awkward on air to start. It’s a little better now, but he’s a horrible interviewer. He pays no attention to what the person is saying in answer to him. It’s obvious he has his questions in mind and he just goes down his sheet. There are times I think his subject could burst into flames and Andy wouldn’t notice.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I noticed in the playoffs last season that she appeared to have a wardrobe/makeup consultant who transformed her physical presentation. That’s fine, but what impresses me is the speed with which she can digest answers to questions and dig deeper with immediate followups. It shows a lot of intelligence, but it also reflects someone who is disciplined enough to actually listen to what is being said.

Contrast that with Andy Strickland. He was extremely awkward on air to start. It’s a little better now, but he’s a horrible interviewer. He pays no attention to what the person is saying in answer to him. It’s obvious he has his questions in mind and he just goes down his sheet. There are times I think his subject could burst into flames and Andy wouldn’t notice.
She had a really good quote about her question style in an interview with the Athletic:

"my biggest pet peeve watching sideline reporters, and I don’t want to call anyone out, but sometimes I feel like they just want to flex their knowledge of how smart they are. 'Here’s some long sentence about something I noticed that you’ll agree with and make me look good' is essentially the question."

I think she is dead-on with that assessment. Across all sports, so many in-game interviews just turn into the reporter presenting a narrative for the coach/player to either agree or disagree with. I think she does a good job avoiding that, forcing the player/coach to present his own narrative, and then following up about whatever the coach says.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
ESPN put out a list of top 50 players plus 15 honorable mentions projected for this upcoming season's performance and the Blues got one player, #37 Robert Thomas. It took them 50 Wyshnickis to come up with this and one of these amazing players in 22-23 is slated to be Marc-Touchdown Fleury.

This is not to be upset at lack of respect; far and away my point is as much as we laugh at Dom and some others, Greg Wyshnicki is the Leah Hextall of writers.
Tarasenko, O'Reilly, and Kyrou were in the 51-100 list. Buchnevich not at least being in honoroable mention is a miss though.

NHL Rank: Predicting the best players for 2022-23, from 100 to 51

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Landeskog out for 3 months

oh-oh-snap.gif

Reactions: i aint Dunn yet

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Yeah, Kaplan is great. She is relaxed and appears to be having fun.

Hextall is someone who was pumped up without having any real talent for PBP. It's unfortunate that her family and friends (presumptuous) filled her up with false beliefs and convinced her try out for American Idol only to wind up on the blooper reel.

Reactions: Celtic Note

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
With all of the competing hockey content out there these days, I simply ignore ESPN. It’s almost all bad and surface level/clickbait/buzzfeed-esque garbage.
I use it for standings, schedules, game times, live scores. So if I end up at the home page and see their feature with the big photo has a list like this, I click for the amusement. That is how things like Wyshnicki's Kyrou Modano article end up being seen. They are sitting right where the standings/schedules/scores place I look happens to be. Emily Kaplan is a good writer. Wyshnicki is so, so bad.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad