Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Did Dom actually predict Minnesota would win the Central this year. If so, omg lmfao that is humiliating.

"Two Touchdowns in Saint Paul" starring the Minnesota Crap

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Small outlier. 38 games in the NHL have been played thus far and 37 were decided in regulation.

23.2% of all NHL regular season games go to OT.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How tf are there no games scheduled tonight? I get not wanting to compete against the NFL in places like San Jose or Dallas or Buffalo …but why can’t places like Ottawa, Toronto, STL or other non-NFL cities host Sunday games? It’s absurd for there to be no NHL games in which to tune into.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Classic case of statistical model v. the eye test and actually watching the team play. The Blues at no point looked like they were overachieving last season. In fact, it felt like they were underachieving at times.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Classic case of statistical model v. the eye test and actually watching the team play. The Blues at no point looked like they were overachieving last season. In fact, it felt like they were underachieving at times.

Hard disagree on your eye test. My eye test was somewhat in line with the statistical model. My eye test said we were a very good offensive team carried by special teams and goaltending due to piss poor team defense. Classic case of the unreliability of the eye test. One of our eye-tests is wrong.

Reactions: Snubbed4Vezina

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Counterpoint as to why it doesn't suck. It means that if your team isn't lucky enough to have the top player, you aren't eliminated or hugely disadvantaged before you begin (cough NBA cough). I like that in hockey compared with other team sports it's how complete is the entire team rather than how good are your top stars. It implies there's more of a puzzle to be solved as to how to build a team as opposed to "be the team with the best guy." The Blues had a lot of years where the playoffs brutally exposed a lack of depth even though they had multiple hall of famers at forward and defense.

I wouldn't say I'm against Edmonton putting together a great team around its two stars but a) it's correctly difficult! and secondably) Edmonton not winning because they are imbalanced is a valuable encouragement to teams like the Blues who are built very differently.
I don't think it sucks that the teams as constructed have accomplished so little. I think it sucks that Edmonton has failed to construct a better supporting cast for 7 years. The complete and total inability (or in some cases the complete lack of any actual attempt) to fix glaring issues is ridiculous. Most of their weaknesses came from fully self-inflected wounds.

From 2019/20-2021/22, Mikko Koskinen and Mike Smith started all but 13 games for the Oilers. That is the direct result of them deciding to give Koskinen a 3 year deal at $4.5M AAV (and a 15 team no trade list!) after he played 27 games of .911 goaltending in 2018/19. That contract and then their refusal/inability to bite the bullet and deal with it led to them running out below average goalies for 3 straight seasons of McDavid's prime.

They watched Kassian play at a 23.5 point pace for 4 seasons in their organization. Then in 2019/20 he puts up 28 points in the first 45 games of the season while riding shotgun on McDavid's line. He is inexplicably rewarded with a 4 year deal at $3.2M AAV that starts in his age 30 season.

After McDavid's rookie year they used their best trade asset (Taylor Hall) to 'solve' the D problem by getting Adam Larrsson. The D doesn't improve by any noticeable margin and talent at the wings has been an issue every season since.

They've badly mismanaged the cap for McDavid's entire career and it cost the old management group their jobs. And then finally they cleared some bad deals and finally had some cap space two summers ago. Defense is priority number 1 and they address it by giving Tyson Barrie a 3 year extension worth $4.5M a year, Cody Ceci a 4 year deal worth $3.25M a year, and gave up low-value assets to get a 38 year old Duncan Keith without the Hawks retaining any salary. $13M of new cap commitments and the D didn't get any better. They also gave Darnell Nurse a $9.25M per year extension that kicked in this year.

I think it is fantastic that you still have to build a good group around 2 superstars in the NHL. The thing that sucks is how badly the Oilers have bungled that for the first 7 years of McDavid's career.

Last edited:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Hard disagree on your eye test. My eye test was somewhat in line with the statistical model. My eye test said we were a very good offensive team carried by special teams and goaltending due to piss poor team defense. Classic case of the unreliability of the eye test. One of our eye-tests is wrong.

These aren't completely divergent. I'm somewhere in the middle. My eye test agrees that the Blues were a very good offensive team with good goaltending and great special teams, but were poor defensively. But I also don't think they overachieved.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
It certainly can't be mine. I'm an expert. :naughty:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
A very soft goal given up by Minnesota and the Avs score to take a 3-2 lead. Still plenty of time and the game could go either way, but Wild goaltending isn't doing the team any favors :help:

On a separate topic: I retract my complaint from a few days ago about the board ads. I still think its bad that sticks and things get clipped out during board battles, but I'm hardly noticing the ads changing anymore.

Last edited:

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
A very soft goal given up by Minnesota and the Avs score to take a 3-2 lead. Still plenty of time and the game could go either way, but Wild goaltending isn't doing the team any favors :help:

On a separate topic: I retract my complaint from a few days ago about the board ads. I still think its bad that sticks and things get clipped out during board battles, but I'm hardly noticing the ads changing anymore.

Wild lose 6-3 tonight to the Avalanche tonight.

The Wild have given up 20 goals in their first 3 regular season games this year. They are certainly on their way to winning the division. Because Dom is a hockey genius, and he said so right?

And look, even Sheldon Keefe's ego has gotten bigger than the city of Toronto. I guess that's the new expectation being the league's biggest market.

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
lmao that wild goaltending last night, truly remarkable.

the idiot who picked them to win the division might wanna change that pick to #1 overall soon

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
if we're being fair, you have to take the claim seriously, even if it was presented in an unfair way. you're arguing you can abandon taking the claim seriously because of how the victim went about things and how much time has passed. i think that's clearly unfair. i don't think you're justified in throwing shade or removing the benefit of the doubt for these reasons, especially if you're concerned about doing things the "right way" or fairly. i dislike the anonymous approach the victim took as well, but that doesn't remove the seriousness of accusation or how seriously it should be taken.
Can we get our beloved favorite blues poster, or somebody else to go create a new twitter account and accuse Makar and Mckinnon of double teaming him against his will last year? Please wait until right before the playoffs start before posting it though... Thanks.

In all seriousness though, what's to stop random D-bags from doing this exact same thing to star players? Since this is Ian Cole we're talking about, it was an easy decision for TB to suspend him while they investigate. But a random account on the internet making a post like this and getting a player suspended, creates a very slippery slope.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Yup. He also predicted the Blues would finish 6th in the division.

Picked the Wild to win the division? Lol this guy is a clown. I pick the Oilers to go to the finals as well but I don't need my own "model" to predict that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad