Around the NHL 2022-2023 *Mod warning in effect pg145

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Im seeing $18M over 4 years for ROR but TSN is weirdly not talking about it at all.

I think $4.5M is a good AAV for what ROR brings to the table right now, but that term scares me. That's takes him through his age 36 season and he lost a noticeable step this year. I don't get what Nashville is doing right now.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
O'Reilly looked utterly awful last year so I'm glad we're not paying that. It'll be a bummer to see him wearing mustard yellow but with Nashville rebuilding he'd be a good locker room guy.

Reaves has been a nonfactor since 2018. I get wanting clubhouse guys but jeez Toronto that's a bunch.

It's crazy how the names signing for peanuts this year would be mindblowing 3-4 years ago. Wheeler for 800K? jeez.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We have Kevin Hayes for 3 years. IS RoR's leadership and Defense not worth $1M more for 1 more year. I'd much rather have RoR for 4 years @ 4.5M than Kevin Hayes for 3 years at $3.6M
I think ROR at $4.5M is better in 2023/24 than Hayes at $3.6M. Not convinced he will be in 2024/25 and beyond. Hayes will be 33 in the final year of his deal (would turn 34 in the Confernce final if we make it that far) while ROR turns 33 this year. An extra year of term on an older player would worry me for a team who should be looking at 2024/25 more than this season.

Worth noting that there is a large real dollars difference. We owe Hayes $8.5M real dollars in the next 3 years and I bet the ROR contract sees him get close to $15M in that range.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think ROR at $4.5M is better in 2023/24 than Hayes at $3.6M. Not convinced he will be in 2024/25 and beyond. Hayes will be 33 in the final year of his deal (would turn 34 in the Confernce final if we make it that far) while ROR turns 33 this year. An extra year of term on an older player would worry me for a team who should be looking at 2024/25 more than this season.

Worth noting that there is a large real dollars difference. We owe Hayes $8.5M real dollars in the next 3 years and I bet the ROR contract sees him get close to $15M in that range.

Yes, the extra year is more worrisome with ROR's age. But the cap will also be higher. We should have a few of our prospects on bridge deals or the ELC for guys we drafted this year and slide.. So we'd have Dvosrksy for less thank a million in that final year. Who would you want to mentor Dvorsky more, Hayes or ROR?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Yes, the extra year is more worrisome with ROR's age. But the cap will also be higher. We should have a few of our prospects on bridge deals or the ELC for guys we drafted this year and slide.. So we'd have Dvosrksy for less thank a million in that final year. Who would you want to mentor Dvorsky more, Hayes or ROR?
By 2026/27 I want us to be a cap team pushing for a Cup. An extra $3M+ of dead money (on top of a lot of bad money we'll already have) isn't worth mentorship. Schenn is the overpaid mentor on the roster by then and we just hired Steen to mentor the kid until he's on the roster.

ROR at $4.5M in 2026/27 when Dean, Bolduc, and maybe Snuggy are all due 2nd contracts could very well be the difference between being able to give a long term bargain extension or having to do a 2 year bridge that sets them up for a much bigger 3rd contract. Hayes is off the books by then, so it is a full $4.5M extra that you're tying yourself to in what should be a big summer for our youngsters.

I also think that the plan is to move Hayes after 1 or 2 years here which will almost definitely be harder to do with the ROR contract. He should have gotten much better trade protection than Hayes got and retention handcuffs you for longer.

I want the team to compete this year, but with minimal mortgaging of the future. I view ROR as a well overpaid mentor as more of a future mortgage than Hayes. Especially since we know Hayes can slide to wing and not block a center spot from a prospect.

Last edited:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
We have Kevin Hayes for 3 years. IS RoR's leadership and Defense not worth $1M more for 1 more year. I'd much rather have RoR for 4 years @ 4.5M than Kevin Hayes for 3 years at $3.6M
I don't think the difference between the two moves the needle over the next two seasons and given his quick dropoff I think we'll get more out of Hayes in year three when we look to move him. I don't want to have anything to do with ROR in the fourth year of a contract.

This is also a team that's headed a new direction and needs to establish new leadership roles in the room. ROR, as much as I like the guy, would be more of the same of the 'old guard.'

Not sure what Nashville is doing. I liked their roster better with Ekholm, Jeannot, Duchene, Johansen.

They may as well move Josi too. Captain for captain deal sound fair? 😆
I think these moves are more about establishing an identity as a hard-working grinding unit and a few of those players haven't lived up to those expectations.

Reactions: Blueswin and mk80

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
By 2026/27 I want us to be a cap team pushing for a Cup. An extra $3M+ of dead money (on top of a lot of bad money we'll already have) isn't worth mentorship. Schenn is the overpaid mentor on the roster by then and we just hired Steen to mentor the kid until he's on the roster.

ROR at $4.5M in 2026/27 when Dean, Bolduc, and maybe Snuggy are all due 2nd contracts could very well be the difference between being able to give a long term bargain extension or having to do a 2 year bridge that sets them up for a much bigger 3rd contract. Hayes is off the books by then, so it is a full $4.5M extra that you're tying yourself to in what should be a big summer for our youngsters.

I also think that the plan is to move Hayes after 1 or 2 years here which will almost definitely be harder to do with the ROR contract. He should have gotten much better trade protection than Hayes got and retention handcuffs you for longer.

I want the team to compete this year, but with minimal mortgaging of the future. I view ROR as a well overpaid mentor as more of a future mortgage than Hayes. Especially since we know Hayes can slide to wing and not block a center spot from a prospect.

Hayes only got a 6th round pic this year @ 31 years old coming off a career best point total. What's he going to bring at 33? What we can get out of Hayes is negligible.

Also, we have no idea how ROR will age. He is a gym rat, and works really hard. He was bad this year, but that could be as much to do with how bad we were. His ppg were a 65+ point pace while in Toronto, with a positive plus minus during the regular season.

Finally, I don't want Schenn to mentor Dvorsky. Dvorsky's skill set matches RoR's. I want Dvorsky to become RoR 2.0 if we are lucky. Who better to mentor him than ROR. We also don't know if Bolduc or Dean will earn big long term deals in 3 years. I am higher than Bolduc than most, but I am not sure he will be worth an 7-8 year deal by then.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't think the difference between the two moves the needle over the next two seasons and given his quick dropoff I think we'll get more out of Hayes in year three when we look to move him. I don't want to have anything to do with ROR in the fourth year of a contract.

This is also a team that's headed a new direction and needs to establish new leadership roles in the room. ROR, as much as I like the guy, would be more of the same of the 'old guard.'

I think these moves are more about establishing an identity as a hard-working grinding unit and a few of those players haven't lived up to those expectations.

If you don't thin there is a difference between O'Reilly and Hayes, you haven't watched Hayes. Hayes is inconsistent being downright terrible some nights. He is poor defensively, and if you average is good and bad offense out, he is worse than ROR offensively. There is nothing Hayes does better than ROR, nothing. Even physicality he is worse, despite being 6'5 220+ or whatever he is.

Reactions: GoBluz24

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
What’s this rate limit exceeded crap on Twitter? They are limiting your refreshes now?
As is often the case with Elon’s Twitter, I don’t think it’s intentional, it’s just broken.
Apparently Elon tweeted that verified accounts are limited to reading 6000 posts/day, unverified 600 posts/day, and new accounts 300 posts/day. I would link the tweet but my rate limit is exceeded :dunno:

He said it's a "temporary" restriction but with him trying to find ways to get more people to pay, I don't believe that.

Edit: This article has his tweet embedded in it Elon Musk announces new daily Twitter limitations as thousands of users report problems accessing site

Last edited:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
If you don't thin there is a difference between O'Reilly and Hayes, you haven't watched Hayes. Hayes is inconsistent being downright terrible some nights. He is poor defensively, and if you average is good and bad offense out, he is worse than ROR offensively. There is nothing Hayes does better than ROR, nothing. Even physicality he is worse, despite being 6'5 220+ or whatever he is.
That's not what I said.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Apparently Elon tweeted that verified accounts are limited to reading 6000 posts/day, unverified 600 posts/day, and new accounts 300 posts/day. I would link the tweet but my rate limit is exceeded :dunno:

He said it's a "temporary" restriction but with him trying to find ways to get more people to pay, I don't believe that.
Oh thanks for telling me, I didn’t hear about that. Way to make the site even worse! What a doofus

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I want steen mentoring him.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
LOVE ROR. But having him in Nashville makes me happy. Good hockey player and a great person on his last NHL contract (and a good one at that). He will be close (in the division) and he will battle against us.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Im seeing $18M over 4 years for ROR but TSN is weirdly not talking about it at all.

I think $4.5M is a good AAV for what ROR brings to the table right now, but that term scares me. That's takes him through his age 36 season and he lost a noticeable step this year. I don't get what Nashville is doing right now.

I think it would be worth the risk to keep ROR around after we just drafted Dvorsky and didn't we get another center? At any rate ROR helped Thomas a ton and I cna only imagine he would do the same with Dvorsky. Plus I really liked the dude.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
And he still can. But Steen was not a C. Steen was not one of the best faceoff men in the league. Steen was not a selke nominee much less winner (although he was a great defensive wing).
Dvo won’t be here this year. Might be in 2. Likely in 3 if not. If we need a veteran mentor plenty of time to find one.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Not understanding what Nashville is doing, but I guess they are picking a lane here….just not the one I would.

For us, both Hayes and ROR would seem like a half measure and so I am not particularly moved by either option, but I’d lean the way Majorityof1 looks at it, because you’re more certain to get those more intangible benefits when the production isn’t there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad