Around the NHL 2015-16: Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
"Welcome back, Edmonton. We've been expecting you."
-30th place

Matthews may want to peruse the Edmonton real estate listings.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...year-extension-million-contract-mayors-manor/

Anze Kopitar could be in for a big week.

The Los Angeles Kings‘ No. 1 centre scored a crucial overtime winner Tuesday night, giving his club a 2-1 victory over the Vancouver Canucks, and now his contract situation may finally be cleared up.

According to reliable Kings insider John Hoven of Mayor’s Manor, who cites “multiple sources close to the negotiations,†Kopitar and GM Dean Lombardi are very close to wrapping up a new eight-year contract, the maximum term allowable under the collective bargaining agreement.

If Kopitar were to explore free agency, he could seek seven years at most from another team.

Hoven tweeted the working terms of the deal last week, projecting an average annual value of about $9.75 million, which would place Kopitar's cap hit just behind those of Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane ($10.5 million each) for the NHL's highest.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wonder if the NHLPA will take a cue from the MLB Players Union and suggest to agents and players that they should try and hit UFA ASAP.

Not sure how comparable the situations are. the NHL has far more restrictions on team spending. Plus the reductions in contract length to 8yrs with your team and 7 with someone else. I don't see a player really leveraging much more total money in the NHL like I think they can in baseball.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I wonder if the NHLPA will take a cue from the MLB Players Union and suggest to agents and players that they should try and hit UFA ASAP.
Isn't it already intuitive to try to do so? No memo needed.

Not sure how comparable the situations are. the NHL has far more restrictions on team spending. Plus the reductions in contract length to 8yrs with your team and 7 with someone else. I don't see a player really leveraging much more total money in the NHL like I think they can in baseball.
I don't see it either...

The Kopitar contract is going to be hilariously bad
Indeed. First half of the term probably justifiable, or mostly justifiable (say 80% justifiable) for some team. He is big and durable (think Dainius Zubrus, Jaro Jagr), so may not decline quickly. So you pay $10M/year for someone worth $8M in a rising market. It's only a problem if you can't afford the incremental $2M per year (Cap hell - isn't LA looking bad, even with Voynov voided?) or you have a younger and/or cost-controlled talent you could spend the same amount or less on (and we assume in an efficient market, those better deals/opportunities won't be available). However, the back half of a 7 or 8 year deal - what will be 3 or 4 of the 15th to 18th years of his NHL career - is the dice roll / and the likely albatross around the neck. Will it be a Lecavalier situation?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
John Scott now the leading the All-Star Vote

8ba1f320-9aa7-11e4-a9dc-4f0032e81115_asfasdfasdfsd.jpg

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
As of now John Scott is 1st overall in All star voting. GiveScottAShot

EDIT: Gras with the instapost!

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
So Jonathan Bernier can be sent to the AHL for a conditioning stint because he's garbage but the NHL had to comb through the rules to prevent us from sending Grigorenko down a few seasons ago?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

True, but the NBA has similar restrictions and incentives to re-sign with your current club and you still see a lot of guys getting to UFA.

If I were Risto's agent, I'd try and limit the length of his contract to not give up any UFA years.

Isn't it already intuitive to try to do so? No memo needed.

Look at how many premium UFAs-to-be re-sign before ever hitting the market.

If you are getting the Kane/Toews deal, then hitting the market doesn't make sense.

If not...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So Jonathan Bernier can be sent to the AHL for a conditioning stint because he's garbage but the NHL had to comb through the rules to prevent us from sending Grigorenko down a few seasons ago?

The difference is that Buffalo was clearly trying to end around the CHL/AHL age agreement. Bernier literally needs to get more games in and isn't playing well enough at the NHL level.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...an-nugent-hopkins-trade-rumors-140229083.html

Sounds like Chia loved the Seguin trade so much he might be going down that road again.

I wonder how long it is before there are reports that RNH is a cancer in the Oilers locker room?

I doubt it. Oilers don't have the same cap constraints that Bruins were facing. Also, they don't have center depth the Bruins had when they did that trade. Of that group, I could see them moving Eberle/Yakupov for defense, but you have to assume that Hall/RNH/McDavid are the 3 building blocks moving forward.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Woudnt it be nice if Bogosian did the same thing for Chia that Eriksson did? You want more grit? Here's Bogo + Foligno... Eh, one can dream.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Since 2005, the Bruins have sold low on Thornton, Kessel, Wheeler, Seguin and Hamilton. It goes beyond Chia to overall organizational culture.

Would RNH destroy our cap situation or would he give us the most absurd center situation in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad