Around the NHL 2015-16: Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I haven't seen him in the AHL yet, however he's been called up to Anaheim today.

He was one of the many Regier deadline acquisitions that just didn't pan out. He had a real offensive slump during his brief time here.

Wasn't he like 20 lbs overweight too.

Torres that is.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I haven't seen him in the AHL yet, however he's been called up to Anaheim today.

A young player with some jump/enthusiasm might be just the punch in the arm that offense needs. It'll be interesting to see how he and the team do with him in the lineup.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Name 19 year old captain
Pay one dimensional player top dollar
Trade captain material / 2 way / franchise center

:laugh: you're doing it wrong

$6 million dollars is not "top dollar" in today's NHL, or even 10 years ago. He's basically getting Dave Bolland money, while shouldering much, much more responsibility; if Duchene has a bad game, the team has a bad game and he gets most of the blame.

Even if he's one-dimensional, it's still a very reasonable cap hit that almost any team with a need for a center would pay. That's probably the only decision that team has made in the past 5 years that I DO agree with. He should be a luxury player for them at this point, not the guy who has to do it all.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
$6 million dollars is not "top dollar" in today's NHL, or even 10 years ago. He's basically getting Dave Bolland money, while shouldering much, much more responsibility; if Duchene has a bad game, the team has a bad game and he gets most of the blame.

Even if he's one-dimensional, it's still a very reasonable cap hit that almost any team with a need for a center would pay. That's probably the only decision that team has made in the past 5 years that I DO agree with. He should be a luxury player for them at this point, not the guy who has to do it all.

They paid Duchene their top
Dollar and capped their team with that contract.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
WTF---seeing HNIC in the late game intermission they did a feature on Lucic (EDM at LA). They showed the cheap chot on Miller.

they had a piece from Jack Edwards saying the hit caused buffalo to spiral down that led to Eichel....WTF

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
WTF---seeing HNIC in the late game intermission they did a feature on Lucic (EDM at LA). They showed the cheap chot on Miller.

they had a piece from Jack Edwards saying the hit caused buffalo to spiral down that led to Eichel....WTF

I've seen Bruins fans say something similar

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

It's a large stretch but somewhat true.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
It's a large stretch but somewhat true.

Yeah, thought so, too. It was the straw that broke the camel's back, since everybody realized that this core wasn't gonna cut it.
Doesn't change the fact, that Lucic is a POS and the rebuild should have happened either way.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I have a weird like / dislike thing with Edmonton. I want them to do better because I do believe the fans deserve it, but they're just a black hole for talent and pretty obviously overvalue their own players. I was actually fine with McDavid going there instead of Buffalo since it effectively felt like he would be neutralized. Obviously they could turn a corner, but good god.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Yeah, thought so, too. It was the straw that broke the camel's back, since everybody realized that this core wasn't gonna cut it.
Doesn't change the fact, that Lucic is a POS and the rebuild should have happened either way.

I felt it was a factor in that it at least partially exposed how gutless that core was with the tepid reaction to the hit. Anything that pretends like everything went from "fine" to "TIME TO REBUILD" because of it is revisionist hyperbole, though.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I felt it was a factor in that it at least partially exposed how gutless that core was with the tepid reaction to the hit. Anything that pretends like everything went from "fine" to "TIME TO REBUILD" because of it is revisionist hyperbole, though.
Agreed. The whole situation just served as a snap-shot that exposed the problems which had been existing for a long time already. It wasn't the Lucic hit, but rather the reaction to it (or lack thereof) that was the problem.

Lucic and the Bruins (including that clown Edwards) really shouldn't give themselves too much credit.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I have a weird like / dislike thing with Edmonton. I want them to do better because I do believe the fans deserve it, but they're just a black hole for talent and pretty obviously overvalue their own players. I was actually fine with McDavid going there instead of Buffalo since it effectively felt like he would be neutralized. Obviously they could turn a corner, but good god.

That's what happens when you only have one decent two way player in your top six and limited means to build the bottom two lines. Obviously McDavid will eventually develop a 2 way game also but Hall/Eberle/Yak/Draisatl aren't exactly good at defense

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They paid Duchene their top
Dollar and capped their team with that contract.

Then their internal salary cap is the issue, not Duchene's contract. His development was hindered quite a bit...he was projected to turn out much better than he currently is. It was hindered partly by injury, partly by not being surrounded by the right players or coaches.

The whole team has been a disaster in the making for many years, but I don't think Duchene's contract by itself is the reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad