Around the NHL 2015-16: Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It certainly helps to play almost exclusively with RNH and Hall - Eichel will get there, and surpass those two, but right now we don't have equivalent offensive pieces to those guys. Ice times are also drastically different:

Draisaitl - 17:04 ESTOI, 2:04 PPTOI
Reinhart - 10:57 ESTOI, 2:30 PPTOI

Leon is getting 6 mins/game more in the two phases where almost all goals are scored, and he has better offensive linemates. I'd love to see Bylsma give Reinhart more opportunity. Also, it'll be interesting to see how Draisaitl performs if McLellan goes back to the tried and true Hall-RNH-Eberle line if/when Hall-RNH-Draisaitl hit a rough patch.

Good linemates and regular minutes are of course helpful, but he's in beast mode regardless of that. You don't ride coattails to that type of production. You get put with the big guns, you have to play like you belong, and he not only has, but at times he looks like the biggest gun. I'm not trying to disparage, or even really make any comment about Reinhart, but it's well known this was my guy, so I'm glad to see him succeeding.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Ah yes, nothing like comparing two 20 year old players less than 15 games into their careers playing in vastly different situations.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Good linemates and regular minutes are of course helpful, but he's in beast mode regardless of that. You don't ride coattails to that type of production. You get put with the big guns, you have to play like you belong, and he not only has, but at times he looks like the biggest gun. I'm not trying to disparage, or even really make any comment about Reinhart, but it's well known this was my guy, so I'm glad to see him succeeding.

I think Luke Adam started 11 points in 11 games between Vanek and Pominville. Those days we were searching for a #1 center.

Interesting to see where Reinhart is in 3 years. He thinks the game so well, hard to imagine he wont be a great player.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/colin-campbell-says-goalie-pads-will-be-smaller-by-2016-17/

Colin Campbell, the NHL’s Senior Executive VP and Director of Hockey Operations was on Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown and John Shannon where he discussed the lack of goal scoring in today’s game.

He confirmed that the NHL is looking to reduce the size of goaltender equipment.

“We are making an attempt this year, usually we make that attempt every year, and the manufacturers tell us they can’t do it in time after our March/June meetings,†he said. “So this year we did it faster and said, ‘OK you got a year and a half to do it.’â€

He was then asked if that means there will be a noticeable decrease in the size of upper-body pads for goalies by 2016-2017.

His answer was yes.

“There are a number of items on the board, and as you know it’s the pads, the blocker, the catcher, the upper-body, the pants and the sweater,†he said.†And the sweater will go in unison with the upperbody.â€

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

4. Here’s a question about decreasing goal totals: what if the problem is not goalies? Thanks to stats.hockeyanalysis.com, you can make an argument the real issue is where the shots come from (or who is taking them). At five-on-five so far in 2015-16, the league-wide save percentage is .928. Eight seasons ago, it was .920. If you break it down even further, goalies are at .913 when a forward is shooting and a ridiculous .966 against defencemen. The way the game is played now, we are seeing more shots from defenders every year (just under 28 per cent of all taken to this point). Maybe the question is, does the NHL have to go back to the old, smaller offensive-zone so teams must cover the points? Will that loosen up the forwards?

5. The second part of the equation is, which forwards are doing the shooting? The speed and pace of the game means ice-time is being distributed more evenly than ever. The best forwards aren’t on the ice as much as fifteen years ago, which leads to fewer chances to impact the outcome. The NHL’s most prolific shooter, Alexander Ovechkin, averaged 448 shots during his first four seasons. He hasn’t been higher than 395 since. Everyone who makes the NHL is talented. But, some are more talented than others.

6. There is another possible solution: calling more penalties. (Or as one executive regularly texts, “just call the &$%#@* rulebook.”) This is more of a battle than you’d think. There are some GMs who hated the loosened standards from 2005-06, and don’t want to go back. I remember Steve Yzerman calling it “unrealistic.” He’s definitely someone who prefers the players, not the referees, decide games. Team power-plays have dropped from six to three per game in the last 10 years. But, more man advantages do lead to more goals.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
That "Duchene cap" Avs have (or had) is/was one of the biggest management failures in NHL recently. That's a result of two really unexperienced, yet stubborn and conceited, guys neglegting the reality and wanting to do things their way.

1,5 years ago Avs got incredible depth on center position. Now they got three offensive minded centers and are "forced" to trade one for defensive help. They actually upgraded their defense by swapping Hejda to Beuechemin. Having guys like Stastny, ROR and Landeskog with hot goaltending from Varlamov hid the awfulness of their defense. Now that they have goten rid of two of the three best defensive forwards, and their defense has been exposed with not-hot goaltending, they have realised that they need defense. :shakehead

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Has anybody gotten a chance to see Nick Ritchie play yet this year? He's been tearing it up in the A apparently, and I haven't seen him yet. I'm intrigued.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Or they were simply ahead of the development curve last year and have fallen back to where they seemed like they should be now.

I think they overachieved last season, but have underperformed so far. Goaltending is so inconsistent for Calgary this year.

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
Name 19 year old captain
Pay one dimensional player top dollar
Trade captain material / 2 way / franchise center

:laugh: you're doing it wrong

That organization is seriously mind boggling... I mean like... what are they even thinking?

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
http://filthyrich.es/every-nhl-teams-most-hated-player/29/

Every NHL Team’s Most Hated Player.

Kind of a spam site that makes you flip through all 30 items, but mildly interestingly I found 5 former or current Sabres players on this list:

Evander Kane (Sabres)
Thomas Vanek (Wild)
Raffi Torres (Sharks)
Steve Ott (Blues)
Chris Thorburn (Jets)

Never knew Torres played for Buffalo. (Granted I didn't watch much hockey around 2010 but I do remember Paetsch). Looking through all the (alleged) head targeting, I'm glad we didn't keep him on the roster.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Has anybody gotten a chance to see Nick Ritchie play yet this year? He's been tearing it up in the A apparently, and I haven't seen him yet. I'm intrigued.

I haven't seen him in the AHL yet, however he's been called up to Anaheim today.

Never knew Torres played for Buffalo. (Granted I didn't watch much hockey around 2010 but I do remember Paetsch). Looking through all the (alleged) head targeting, I'm glad we didn't keep him on the roster.

He was one of the many Regier deadline acquisitions that just didn't pan out. He had a real offensive slump during his brief time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad