Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Guy paid his price - cut him some slack... of anyone thinks wirtz wasn't calling all the shots on that cover up is naive

Reactions: Buffdog

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Not sure where to post this but I suppose around the NHL is maybe the best spot since we might review TV and media contracts here for the NHL.

NBA getting their new media rights deal done:

NBA Media Rights Overview

• 11-years, $76 billion
  • ESPN pays $2.6 billion annually
  • NBC pays $2.5 billion annually
  • Amazon pays $1.8 billion annually
  • Includes WNBA games at $200 million annually

From the article I read on this “The truth is that an 11-year deal makes a lot of sense for the NBA. No one knows what the sports media landscape will look like in a decade, and Adam Silver is making sure that the NBA secures what could potentially be the last major payday from cable.”
the NHL will never get a lucrative US tv contract.....

Reactions: ps241 and sipowicz

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Athletic’s lead hockey writer Mark Lazerus, based out of Chicago, said of Edmonton’s move, “I’m genuinely glad that Stan Bowman has put in the work to learn, to understand, to grow, and to help others handle future situations properly. Truly. But we can’t forget that these men’s craven failure led directly to the sexual abuse of a minor. You don’t HAVE to hire them.”I would have been glad to see Stan Bowman continue to work with someone like Sheldon Kennedy, to carve out a new path in the hockey world as an educator, as an example. Instead, he walks right back into an NHL GM job 14 days after reinstatement. This league, man.”

630 CHED host Courtney Theriault: “It’s one thing to hire another old guard GM again when there are plenty of young, bright hockey minds deserving of a shot to push the team over the finish line. It’s another thing entirely to hire a guy who put winning and the old boys’ mentality over basic human dignity.”

And the Athletic’s Dom Luszczyszyn: “Is it good when your new GM gets immediately ratioed?”

Is it really worth the controversy in hiring Bowman? And the fact he isn't the greatest GM to begin with. We will see how much backlash there is to this.

No, Bowman is not worth the controversy. It is the quintessential Katz approved move.

That being said we will see how many news cycles this lasts. Things like this are unpredictable.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
IMG_6619.jpeg

Reactions: wraithsonwings

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Why do i see a lot of news in social media that a Jets player died.

And (non Jet) Patrik Laine training with football players. Did he change career?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Even worse: don't win 3 of the last 5 Super Bowls...
There's a good reason Tampa is on that list. Road infrastructure around RayJay is god awful, and an outdoor uncovered stadium in Florida is idiotic.

I've been at that stadium and both cooked to death and froze in the same season lol

And (non Jet) Patrik Laine training with football players. Did he change career?
He'd make a decent linebacker lol

Reactions: Gm0ney and Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Good for Patty. Last pics I saw of him on IG it looked like he was still allergic to weights

If he all of a sudden got fit and motivated, he'd be a beast

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
How many "fresh starts" does Laine have in left in the NHL.
I'd say he's likely on his second last chance now. Two years left on a deal that pays him quite well but 2026 he needs a new one. He'll be 28, theoretically still in his prime, or should be close to his prime (I fully accept his prime was his first two years in the league, but basing it off normal expectations). I could see him getting another deal at lower AAV if he can show something in his last two years of the current deal.

Though he hasn't been near as productive as he was with the Jets, both seasons with Columbus were basically ppg. Injuries and other issues limited the games of course, but his second season he looked productive prior to the abdominal injury. If he finds a way to find himself and can get fit, he could still pull off a productive career and play another 7-10 years.

If he gets his head straight and can stay healthy, two big ifs, you're still looking at a ppg player. I'm guessing he'd only generate second line money after the current contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Armenia vs Latvia
    Armenia vs Latvia