Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Creed is back with Columbus ……..

1721686346818.gif

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not sure where to post this but I suppose around the NHL is maybe the best spot since we might review TV and media contracts here for the NHL.

NBA getting their new media rights deal done:

NBA Media Rights Overview

• 11-years, $76 billion
  • ESPN pays $2.6 billion annually
  • NBC pays $2.5 billion annually
  • Amazon pays $1.8 billion annually
  • Includes WNBA games at $200 million annually

From the article I read on this “The truth is that an 11-year deal makes a lot of sense for the NBA. No one knows what the sports media landscape will look like in a decade, and Adam Silver is making sure that the NBA secures what could potentially be the last major payday from cable.”

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure where to post this but I suppose around the NHL is maybe the best spot since we might review TV and media contracts here for the NHL.

• 11-years, $76 billion

From the article I read on this “The truth is that an 11-year deal makes a lot of sense for the NBA. No one knows what the sports media landscape will look like in a decade, and Adam Silver is making sure that the NBA secures what could potentially be the last major payday from cable.”
That's a cool $223.3M per team per year for each NBA franchise, and $16.67M per year for each WNBA team.

To compare, the Rogers deal is about $13.5M per team (although Canadian teams get more of that deal so it's not an even split). The US deal is about $19.5M per team. $33M/year total per team.

The next deal will be interesting. Rogers has 2 seasons left. The ESPN deal has 4 more seasons. We'll see how this Amazon thing goes, I guess.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

• 11-years, $76 billion

"Nice" deal, on an annual basis

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's a cool $223.3M per team per year for each NBA franchise, and $16.67M per year for each WNBA team.

To compare, the Rogers deal is about $13.5M per team (although Canadian teams get more of that deal so it's not an even split). The US deal is about $19.5M per team. $33M/year total per team.

The next deal will be interesting. Rogers has 2 seasons left. The ESPN deal has 4 more seasons. We'll see how this Amazon thing goes, I guess.

The WNBA piece of the deal is an interesting move.

“The WNBA will see a 6x increase in its annual media rights value — the league’s current agreement is worth an average of $43 million annually vs. the new deal estimated to be worth $260 million annually — and the average WNBA salary should shoot up into the mid-six figures (compared to ~$115,000 today).”

The challenge is the WNBA has been a losing business for a quarter of a century but it is finally going into a growth phase with Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese lighting the league on fire from a ratings perspective and they both seem like the real deal. Clark is about as exciting a player as there is in basketball right now.

Reactions: Gm0ney

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
In some markets down south hockey has been replaced and relegated to number 5 in the sporting landcape
Is the NHL even really #4 or #5? I guess, depending on how you frame the question and what you include in terms of answer possibilities.

With that said my expectation of viewership is that it would place behind college football and college basketball for sure.

I'd have to think viewership for NASCAR (and possibly F1, though not remotely North American) is considerably higher.

Won't be long (~20 years) before soccer likely surpasses it and on a worldwide basis it's already crushed. Interestingly cricket also crushes it worldwide.

The WNBA should ride whatever success it possibly can out of its current hot streak. I'm probably the only person on this forum to have attended a WNBA game (more than one actually). I am quite curious to see if Clark can sustain the current popularity (and whether the league is going to continue to try and sabotage itself).

Reactions: ps241

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
He really wasn't a great GM in the grand scheme of things. Those rosters basically built themselves after Tallon assembled the core. Not worth the bad publicity.
Paraphrasing another Hawks fan on HF who put it perfectly: Stan Bowman was a mediocre GM whose one and only talent was finessing the Hawks under the cap during their contending years.

Even without the history, this would have been a mediocre, uninspired hire. With his role in the Kyle Beach coverup, what the actual f*** are the Oilers thinking. Yow!

Wonder if this hire is short-lived like Babcock last summer. The media scrutiny with this one will be even worse; Babcock is by all accounts a shitty excuse for a human, but at least he’s not complicit in a mass coverup of an alleged sex crime.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Wonder if this hire is short-lived like Babcock last summer. The media scrutiny with this one will be even worse; Babcock is by all accounts a shitty excuse for a human, but at least he’s not complicit in a mass coverup of an alleged sex crime.

Yeah, if anything the Babcock hiring and subsequent firing should be an example of how fast these hires can blow up and just ruin a season.
It's crazy that a team that just went to the cup final is looking at Bowman and being like "Yeah, that's what we're missing."

In some markets, Car Jitsu gets more viewers. Yes, it's a real "sport".

The commentary is so outstandingly bizarre to listen to. "He's choking him with the passenger seatbelt while his head is under the emergency brake!"

Reactions: cbcwpg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Athletic’s lead hockey writer Mark Lazerus, based out of Chicago, said of Edmonton’s move, “I’m genuinely glad that Stan Bowman has put in the work to learn, to understand, to grow, and to help others handle future situations properly. Truly. But we can’t forget that these men’s craven failure led directly to the sexual abuse of a minor. You don’t HAVE to hire them.”I would have been glad to see Stan Bowman continue to work with someone like Sheldon Kennedy, to carve out a new path in the hockey world as an educator, as an example. Instead, he walks right back into an NHL GM job 14 days after reinstatement. This league, man.”

630 CHED host Courtney Theriault: “It’s one thing to hire another old guard GM again when there are plenty of young, bright hockey minds deserving of a shot to push the team over the finish line. It’s another thing entirely to hire a guy who put winning and the old boys’ mentality over basic human dignity.”

And the Athletic’s Dom Luszczyszyn: “Is it good when your new GM gets immediately ratioed?”

Is it really worth the controversy in hiring Bowman? And the fact he isn't the greatest GM to begin with. We will see how much backlash there is to this.

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
There is zero chance Daryl Katz gives a shit what anyone thinks, he seems to relish the heel role.
But he may start giving a shit when sponsors pull out and he starts losing money over this business decision.

The Oilers PR team will be working full-throttle, that’s for sure. Guaranteed will be one or two sympathetic puff pieces on Stan Bowman in the coming days. (Also probably an article that refutes the Jenner & Block report findings, and minimizes Bowman’s role in the Aldrich/Beach coverup.)

Reactions: roccerfeller

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Stan Bowman? Oh thank G-D. I thought they hired the other Bowman and were going to win the Cup next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad