Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Savoie is from St Albert

Could it be possible that he asked for a trade back to his hometown for whatever reason?

Like a "Reverse Trouba"?

Reactions: voyageur

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
You're 100% right on Beauregard most glaring weakness.

Most of the guys I cited, barely played with the Jets.

Just to highlight again, Barnes (1136), Draper (1157 GP), Ward (839 GP), Ulanov (739), Mironov (716 GP), Grosek (526 GP), Bylsma (429 GP), Ylonen (341 GP), and Lindgren (387 GP).

As far as the 1st crop that I'd mentioned, Dan Ratushny, Sorokin, Jeremy Stevenson, Kaminsky, Langkow, and Courville, each one of them had some buzz about them after they were drafted. I know that Larry Courville, not long after being drafted, was wanted by other teams for his "leadership" qualities. That "hype" was short-lived, but it was a thing for the better part of a year.

The Dan Ratushny thing, went on seemingly, for ages. I think Sorokin was the one who ate his way off the team, in that '93 camp (hot dogs and stocking up on bread perhaps).

I'd argue that the Jets problem, was that they had too many prospects (around '92, '93), that you can't give everyone ice time, and you can only develop so many players. And I don't think that the infrastructure was in place (like the Habs pre-1990s), but that's not necessarily Mike Smith's fault, that's pretty much everything to do with ownership.

I think that Smith was promoted, because the team needed a quick turnaround, and he could find ways to help save the team the money it didn't have. This is probably why he went so hard, scouting overseas, specifically the Eastern Bloc. I don't think the Jets had much interest in developing players either. I know that Barnes and Draper spent time in Moncton, but they were both really good coming out of juniors any way. Borsato was born in 1966, and didn't start playing regularly until the 1991-92 season, so I guess you could argue, they had been "developing" him all of those years.
Fair assessment

Reactions: Dale53130

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Savoie is from St Albert

Could it be possible that he asked for a trade back to his hometown for whatever reason?

Like a "Reverse Trouba"?
I don't know why you wouldn't hold on to him and try to get some contributions from him while he's under team control. That's such a pitiful return, I can't envision a scenario that justifies it.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
My liver says "what?"
I've got a t-shirt for that...

20240706_044536~2.jpg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not arguing that Shenkarow was the real force that torpedoed the jets. Along with Winnipeg Enterprises. Stupid small town greed.

Smith had SO many draft picks that of course he hit on some of them... and sure Tkachuk was a good pick - except Martin Brodeur went next...

You he hit on Selanne... and passed on Peter Forsberg

Bautin wasn't a horrible pick in a shit draft - but it was just endlessly adding crap Russian defencemen that killed us

Im more of the belief that he was finally over-ruled on the Manson trade as opposed to anything else...
Greed? The team absolutely bled money. There was no way winnipeg was going to survive without a cap.

Also, endlessly adding crap Russian D? There was Sergei Bautin, Boris Mirinov and Igor Ulanov (who despite his propensity to serve pizzas up the middle actually had a pretty solid and long nhl career). Who am I missing?

The Jets overall didn't do too badly with Russian picks. We didn't get a Bure or a Datsyuk, but we did get Zhamnov, Davydov and Korolev who were all very good nhlers

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
OK, for some fun, it’s trivia time.
Out of every single player who has played for Jets 2.0, who do you think leads the plus minus over all those years? Who do you think are the bottom two over those 13 years?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
OK, for some fun, it’s trivia time.
Out of every single player who has played for Jets 2.0, who do you think leads the plus minus over all those years? Who do you think are the bottom two over those 13 years?
Going to guess DeMelo for the best, and Little/Ladd for the worst two. Part of me wants to guess Buff for the worst, though.

E: Checked the right answers. I'm content with my picks, but FFS.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Greed? The team absolutely bled money. There was no way winnipeg was going to survive without a cap.

Also, endlessly adding crap Russian D? There was Sergei Bautin, Boris Mirinov and Igor Ulanov (who despite his propensity to serve pizzas up the middle actually had a pretty solid and long nhl career). Who am I missing?

The Jets overall didn't do too badly with Russian picks. We didn't get a Bure or a Datsyuk, but we did get Zhamnov, Davydov and Korolev who were all very good nhlers
Add Khabibulin to the not bad Russians list. But there was a reason the Winnipeg Sun would say things like Mikhail Smith and the Central Red Jets lol

• Love
Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad