Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I guess with the salary cap going up, $8MM won't be as much as it used to. Might be a reasonable amount for a 30 goal, 60 point 2nd line centre, assuming he can eventually get back there again?

At this point if Doob can regain his peak Winnipeg form that's going to be as good as it gets, I don't think anyone is expecting him to take it to a higher level.

LOL

At least he gets to wear bleu blanc rouge again.

It’s wild how he basically peaked with us in 2022-23, AND Chevy got the return he did

We have had some good trade karma our way for all those players wanting out

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm a bit late to the party but what a run this McDavid guy is on. 42 points.

Despite how everyone feels about the Oilers we are witnessing something historic in the hockey world. His 42 points would put him at 5th in regular season scoring on the Jets this year. McDavid's 42 points in 23 games is more than any other Winnipeg Jet has career points in the playoffs.

Win or lose he's cementing his case as one of the all time greats already. He's pushing into the top 4 to make it a top 5.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm a bit late to the party but what a run this McDavid guy is on. 42 points.

Despite how everyone feels about the Oilers we are witnessing something historic in the hockey world. His 42 points would put him at 5th in regular season scoring on the Jets this year. McDavid's 42 points in 23 games is more than any other Winnipeg Jet has career points in the playoffs.

Win or lose he's cementing his case as one of the all time greats already. He's pushing into the top 4 to make it a top 5.
And hockey and Canada hating ESPN still claiming Barkov is better.

Is Barkov even top 10 in the NHL, like seriously.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And hockey and Canada hating ESPN still claiming Barkov is better.

Is Barkov even top 10 in the NHL, like seriously.

He's still probably the best defensive centerman in the NHL right now. But like any good shutdown guy there is always a limit and no matter who you are McDavid will eventually figure you out.

Right now Barkov is still the frontrunner for Florida and if he can manage to shut McDavid down for the win there is a chance he gets some recognition but it's still likely to late.

Reactions: sipowicz

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
ESPN is in the ratings games and Canada does not move the needle one bit for them. If they can play up a player on an American based team maybe they will get a small bumped in ratings. When it's all said and done the ratings for this series down south will not be good, and average at best in Canada.

Reactions: sipowicz

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Not to take away anything from McDavid's performance but how many points does he have 5v5?
He has 17 points on the PP throw in some 4v4 points and empty net points that's less than 50%.. The Canucks held him in check by finishing the checks and not taking penalties. The less players on the ice the more room for McDavid to show off his skills.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not to take away anything from McDavid's performance but how many points does he have 5v5?
He has 17 points on the PP throw in some 4v4 points and empty net points that's less than 50%.. The Canucks held him in check by finishing the checks and not taking penalties. The less players on the ice the more room for McDavid to show off his skills.

25 of his 42 points come at even strength so 60%, which is actually a higher 5v5 production rate than Lemieux had in his 44 point campaign in 90/91, which was 52%. Which is interesting because they have played the same amount of games up to this point.

I don't think you can really take anything at all away from McDavids performance at this point. He's breaking Gretzky records, he's attempting to mount a comeback in the finals. He's on his way to potentially having the 2nd highest scoring playoff campaign ever, may even challenge Gretz. He's a few points shy of the finals points and assist record which is pretty hard to deny.

If he does all of that. He's putting himself into the top 4 conversation that no one thought anyone could challenge. If he wins a Cup he's basically cemented himself in that top 4 and made it a top 5. There will be no more Mount Rushmore of Hockey. We'll have to start calling it something else. Maybe the 5 Pillars of Hockey.

I think at this point we just have to sit back and enjoy the ride. We are witnessing greatness here, your children and/or grandchildren and/or great grandchildren will ask you what it was like to witness this just like many ask what it was like to watch Gretzky or Lemieux or Orr or Howe.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
25 of his 42 points come at even strength so 60%, which is actually a higher 5v5 production rate than Lemieux had in his 44 point campaign in 90/91, which was 52%. Which is interesting because they have played the same amount of games up to this point.

I don't think you can really take anything at all away from McDavids performance at this point. He's breaking Gretzky records, he's attempting to mount a comeback in the finals. He's on his way to potentially having the 2nd highest scoring playoff campaign ever, may even challenge Gretz. He's a few points shy of the finals points and assist record which is pretty hard to deny.

If he does all of that. He's putting himself into the top 4 conversation that no one thought anyone could challenge. If he wins a Cup he's basically cemented himself in that top 4 and made it a top 5. There will be no more Mount Rushmore of Hockey. We'll have to start calling it something else. Maybe the 5 Pillars of Hockey.

I think at this point we just have to sit back and enjoy the ride. We are witnessing greatness here, your children and/or grandchildren and/or great grandchildren will ask you what it was like to witness this just like many ask what it was like to watch Gretzky or Lemieux or Orr or Howe.

Hell, their PP is as good as it is because of McDavid. Agreed with everything

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

How many goals did oilers and penguins have during their runs? Such a different era, which make mcdavid feat so much more fascinating.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How many goals did oilers and penguins have during their runs? Such a different era, which make mcdavid feat so much more fascinating.

The 90/91 Penguins had 95 goals total over 24 games. The 23/24 Oilers currently have 80 goals over 23 games. So a 15 goal split with the Pens having played 1 more game.

In Gretzkys 84/85 record setting season the Oilers scored 98 goals over 18 games.

It really does make it a lot more impressive when you consider both of those seasons were in much higher scoring eras.

McDavid has a higher point share than either of them at this point.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This is fascinating. I wanted to see what Maurice would do with a legitimate good team. Turns out that he can only coach as well as his players can play. He can't seem to get them to play up to the Oilers level right now. Oilers are just winning everything right now.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This is fascinating. I wanted to see what Maurice would do with a legitimate good team. Turns out that he can only coach as well as his players can play. He can't seem to get them to play up to the Oilers level right now. Oilers are just winning everything right now.

I don't necessarily think there's any coach that could his team to the Oilers level right now.

Reactions: StumpyTown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad