Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Steve Dangle is just a lolcow. I don’t know any Leaf fans that actually like his content, it’s just fun for the haters to watch him cry when the Leafs do Leaf things

Most of his appeal is honestly to non-leaf fans. It's schadenfreude for a lot of Leaf haters, which is honestly likely a larger demographic than Leafs fans themselves. The SDPN network he has made with Blake and Jesse likely has a broader appeal for causal hockey fans who want a more millennial approach to their hockey news.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Pretty bad take, his podcast network is growing quite rapidly and actually turning into a business. He is bigger than he's ever been. He may be annoying but that doesn't mean he is going to go away any time soon.
Pretty bad take or not his schtick is tiresome and silly and he will be gone in a few years, me me me you tubers all have a shelf life as do podcasters

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Pretty bad take or not his schtick is tiresome and silly and he will be gone in a few years, me me me you tubers all have a shelf life as do podcasters

It's all about demand. As long as the Leafs are a decent team and continue to struggle he has a market.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Can you imagine the Jets locker room next year if Maurice wins the cup... like hey I guess I just needed a team that would put a real effort in - thanks for running thru that wall though chum

Really hoping for a Carolina-seattle final - the two teams that made almost no TD moves - and the clash of the worst logos in the league

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I'll never understand why the Predators waived Tolvanen

I know he never made it as far as us in the waiver priority order but I'd love to know if we put in a claim.

LOL Legend!

Jesse with the epic troll.

Based!

I worry about this guy's safety... taunting drunk fans at home... not safe behavior. I worry one of these days he's gonna get sucker punched by some idiot.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Yup no superstars but a team that plays hard, gotten scoring when they needed it and has gotten competent goaltending for most of the year
Their goaltending is ass. Martin Jones won 27 games with an .887 and 2.99. Grubauer did a little better. That team won on team defence and 4 lines contributing. Yes Hakstoll deserves whatever hardware he wins.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yup no superstars but a team that plays hard, gotten scoring when they needed it and has gotten competent goaltending for most of the year

There goaltending is ass. Martin Jones won 27 games with an .887 and 2.99. Grubauer did a little better. That team won on team defence and 4 lines contributing. Yes Hakstoll deserves whatever hardware he wins.

Seattle reminds me of year 1 Vegas. No real superstars yet but some budding players and just depth up and down the lineup. It's like an entire team of middle 6 forwards and 4-6 defencemen.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
In my opinion, this was a combination of Maurice being a better coach than people give him credit for, and Leaf stars (especially Matthews and Marner) being chokers when the stakes are at their highest (in the playoffs).

I still maintain Maurice is the worst currently employed head coach, but the impact a coach has is relatively minor to the talent he ices; in the words of the only remotely sane thing Don Cherry ever said, show me a Vezina winner and I'll show you coach of the year.

One might argue that Maurice took the President's Trophy winners and barely made the playoffs with them the next year, and that the Panthers are merely doing close to as good as they would have done last year if they didn't run into the mother of all goaltending high rolls (.970, was it?)

As for the "playoff choker / playoff performer" thing, I've found basically zero evidence to suggest this is anything more than short term variance. If it is correct to say Austin Matthews is horrible in the playoffs, it's correct to say John Druce was the greatest goal scorer in history during the playoffs, and I'm not prepared for that.

And a similar analysis of "clutch performance" during the regular season showed the same thing -- there's no evidence to suggest a player's performance magically gets better or worse during clutch times. If there IS a "clutch power", it's not reproducible year to year and there are about as many clutch performers every year as random chance would suggest.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I still maintain Maurice is the worst currently employed head coach, but the impact a coach has is relatively minor to the talent he ices; in the words of the only remotely sane thing Don Cherry ever said, show me a Vezina winner and I'll show you coach of the year.

One might argue that Maurice took the President's Trophy winners and barely made the playoffs with them the next year, and that the Panthers are merely doing close to as good as they would have done last year if they didn't run into the mother of all goaltending high rolls (.970, was it?)

As for the "playoff choker / playoff performer" thing, I've found basically zero evidence to suggest this is anything more than short term variance. If it is correct to say Austin Matthews is horrible in the playoffs, it's correct to say John Druce was the greatest goal scorer in history during the playoffs, and I'm not prepared for that.

And a similar analysis of "clutch performance" during the regular season showed the same thing -- there's no evidence to suggest a player's performance magically gets better or worse during clutch times. If there IS a "clutch power", it's not reproducible year to year and there are about as many clutch performers every year as random chance would suggest.
Agree with paragraphs 2 & 3.

I doubt that Maurice is the worst employed coach in the NHL, though he is certainly not the magic elixir in Miami.

On clutch, I go back and forth on.

Reactions: Stumbledore

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I see the Walmart's in Toronto are having a sale on Leaf gear...

Still+not+worth+it+leafs+suck_de0024_5089116.jpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

He's not the currently worst employed coach in the league.

One might argue that he took the team from the President's Trophy to WC2 but that argument would ignore they lost a key defenceman from last year with no real replacement and their goaltending tanked this year compared to last. Bobrovsky went from .913 to .901, Knight went from .908 to .901. Lyon played well but that was 15 games. Some step back was expected.

Reactions: Stumbledore

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Goaltending is becoming far too large of a variable in the league. Need to increase net size by 2 or 3 inches or something.

Maybe work towards 6 inch wider nets over the next decade.

Invest in net manufacturing today.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

I detect a note of bitterness...

Reactions: Buffdog

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Goaltending is becoming far too large of a variable in the league. Need to increase net size by 2 or 3 inches or something.

Maybe work towards 6 inch wider nets over the next decade.

Invest in net manufacturing today.

We just had two 60 goalscorers and 3 more guys popping over 50. I don't think that is necessary,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad