Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
This just sent me down a rabbit hole of celebrities that played... bare with me...

Notably right now, Liam Stewart (Son of Rod) is playing for the Milton Kynes Lightning of the NIHL (2nd tier league in the UK)

he played junior in the WHL for the Spokane Chiefs, 2 seasons as an alternate captain, then had a cup of coffee in the ECHL (13GP, 1G 3A 4P) before playing in the UK and New Zealand...

I'm curious about him, he played 2 seasons in the EIHL (top league in Britain)

16-17 Coventry Blaze - 49GP 9G 11A 20P
17-18 Guildford Flames - 35GP 12G 11A 23P

then he had a season in New Zealand:

18-19 Skycity Stampede - 14GP 18G 9A 27P

and then went back to the UK, but for a 2nd division team in Milton Kynes.

19-20 Milton Kynes Lightning - 35GP 37G 21A 58P

went back to New Zealand for 1 more year

20-21 Skycity Stampede - 10GP 12G 13A 25P

and has been back with Milton Kynes ever since

21-22 Milton Kynes Lightning - 45GP 32G 29A 61P

22-23 Milton Kynes Lightning - 53GP 44G 38A 82P

23-24 Milton Kynes Lightning - 37GP 20G 30A 50P

So, the question is, why isn't he playing in a higher league?

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

5rnytd.jpg

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Sens never added a single young core RFA player with any kind of term under Dorion. Closest thing was Demelo with the Sharks, Duclair with the BJ's, and Joseph with the Lightning.

Mind you, they were rebuilding from 2017/2018 on.

They added Norris and the picks for Stu and Grieg. That's it.

And the picks that they got were wasted outside of those two were wasted on guys like JBD and Thomson, or the Duchene trade. Now we lose one because Dorion can't follow a simple trade procedure.

Two forced trades to speed up a rebuild to try and save your GM gig that unsurprisingly blew up in our faces that threw out two high 1sts, thre 2nds and a 3rd.

It was quite literally one of the most botched rebuilds you could possibly have.

The only light at the end of the tunnel is that they have a #1 C, #1 D and an elite power forward to build around. Those are the most valuable but hardest to acquire pieces in a rebuild.

Reactions: bert

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The only light at the end of the tunnel is that they have a #1 C, #1 D and an elite power forward to build around. Those are the most valuable but hardest to acquire pieces in a rebuild.
True but you want atleast one of those pieces to be truly elite, like one of the best players in the game. Stu has potential for that but he’s not there yet.

Reactions: ijif

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
It's depressing how much better the Habs are doing at fast tracking their rebuild compared to what we did under Dorion.

Hughes added cheap young RFAs like Dach and Newhook who could be under the team's control for many years, and weaponized his cap space by getting paid to take on a 26YR old potential PPG winger in Laine.

Meanwhile Dorion traded for DeBrincat and Chychrun. Better players but they only had 2-3 years of team control. Ended up losing an insane amount of value selling low on them after renting them for a year.

3 years ago we looked like a potential powerhouse and they had one of the worst futures of any team in the league. Now I think the consensus would be that they are in a better position than us going forward. Pretty sad.
I really hope Hughes just gets very unlucky with this draft picks because of well their assets have been maanged during the rebuild

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I feel like the Sharks overpaid for Askarov who might be the best goalie outside the NHL, but he's still pretty unproven. The assets they gave for him are a gamble, but GMMG has stockpiled assets and can afford to pay for a gamble like that.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The word out of Boston is that Jeremy Swayman is asking $10M a season, I don't know if it true but if it is Swayman is out of his freaking mind! :laugh:

Reactions: LiseL

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
The word out of Boston is that Jeremy Swayman is asking $10M a season, I don't know if it true but if it is Swayman is out of his freaking mind! :laugh:
Cashing in on desperation. Bruins traded a recent vezina winning goalie for him and he knows he’s in the drivers seat. Boston is going to give him a massive contract

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Yeah that's probably what it is, cause there's no way he's getting $10M a season
How much did we give Murray again? Adjusting for cap and economy, 6.5 at the time feels like the 10M ballpark. And Murray is no Swayman!

Tongue in cheek. I hope he gets it though, division rival and all.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How much did we give Murray again? Adjusting for cap and economy, 6.5 at the time feels like the 10M ballpark. And Murray is no Swayman!

Tongue in cheek. I hope he gets it though, division rival and all.
Murray got 7.67% of the cap, 10 mil today would be 11.36% of the cap, granted there was a freeze when Murray signed.

Murray was the smart cap management signing :sarcasm:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
So the Leafs apparently did not actually sign Jani Hakanpaa.

Likely injury issues but who can say how bad. If he's available and can play we should be inquiring.

Reactions: bicboi64 and bert

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
So the Leafs apparently did not actually sign Jani Hakanpaa.

Likely injury issues but who can say how bad. If he's available and can play we should be inquiring.
Sounds like it didn't get ratified because his knee is turbof***ed. Probably won't play again.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The short term plan is Montembault and Primeau. Hard to tell how good they are on a crap team. Both significantly outplayed Jake Allen last year if that means anything. Goalies are voodoo so its hard to know. I would not expend significant assets on an unproven Askarov... reminds me of Samsonov. Not sure a rebuilding team is the right place for a guy trying to break in- need mental toughness in that role- something Montembault has in spades. I don't think they pursue Askarov. Hughes philosophy is not spend assets too quick on unknowns or commit long term to any free agent yet, find out what you have first then use draft capital in trades or free agency to fill the holes but find out where the holes are 1st. Gotta let his kids develop a bit before finding identifying those holes

View attachment 902307
Gonna be interesting to see how the goalies and the entire team reacts to having real pressure and expectations.

Yes, mostly a small, devoted group though.
Who basically don't post here anymore. Hilarious stuff.

Reactions: CDN24

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cashing in on desperation. Bruins traded a recent vezina winning goalie for him and he knows he’s in the drivers seat. Boston is going to give him a massive contract
They can afford to wait it out they have the Korpse to man the coffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad